Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 16:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Sometimes Read but don't understand what I read 100%

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Sometimes Read but don't understand what I read 100% [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2010, 07:54
Hi There,

I bought the Manhattan GMAT Books. There are so many new concepts in the Sentence Correction section that, when I read them for the first time, I don't understand what I read completely. I mean the comprehension is hardly at 30%, especially the Advanced Sections. When I read for the second time, after a week, I understand better. Each Time I read the concepts begin to evolve more. Its embarrassing though, when you see some guys read it first time, understand and comprehend it, and ace the GMAT. I mean I feel like dumb when I compare myself to those guys who blitzkreig the GMAT in a couple of months.

Is it normal to be slow.....
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2325

Kudos [?]: 9454 [0], given: 3702

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Sometimes Read but don't understand what I read 100% [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2010, 09:15
Expert's post
To each their own - everyone has their own speed and that's OK. If you are finding a lot of new material that you can't retain, make sure you are not studying at midnight after a dinner and a wild night at a dance club or if you are studying at 7 AM before work when your mind is fresh (though maybe a bit foggy), make notes.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 47

Re: Sometimes Read but don't understand what I read 100% [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2010, 09:19
It's not necessary to understand everything although it's quite advisable, you can recognise patterns and do the rest according to them

Best of luck
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 53

Re: Sometimes Read but don't understand what I read 100% [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2010, 10:30
edbergmania wrote:
...I mean I feel like dumb when I compare myself to those guys who blitzkreig the GMAT in a couple of months.

Here's something I found while reading bmillan01's post on GMAT Club. I am sure you'll like it :-D

"I remember looking at other GMATClub members' profiles - looking at their shiny little scores of 730, 760, 700. "No way that will be me", I reminded myself. Some days - okay, most days - I screamed, teared up, and even hit myself on the head a few times. I was so stressed out. But I refused to be a quitter. Once I started math, I practiced everyday. Everyday. And my hard work paid off in the end. You don't have to be a genius to study hard. Some can leisurely stroll up the GMAT mountain and reach the summit without breaking a sweat. Others have to painfully and slowly crawl in the mud and fall down a few times before arriving at the same place. But the point is that both can reach the top."

If you like my post please click +1 kudos on my profile - Thank you!!!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Losing Motivation? Michael Jordan | Nick Vujicic | Adversity
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

CEO
CEO
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Followers: 182

Kudos [?]: 989 [0], given: 235

Reviews Badge
Re: Sometimes Read but don't understand what I read 100% [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2010, 10:45
edbergmania wrote:
Hi There,

I bought the Manhattan GMAT Books. There are so many new concepts in the Sentence Correction section that, when I read them for the first time, I don't understand what I read completely. I mean the comprehension is hardly at 30%, especially the Advanced Sections. When I read for the second time, after a week, I understand better. Each Time I read the concepts begin to evolve more. Its embarrassing though, when you see some guys read it first time, understand and comprehend it, and ace the GMAT. I mean I feel like dumb when I compare myself to those guys who blitzkreig the GMAT in a couple of months.

I m in the same boat. I have read MGMAT SC 2 times and still I m not confident about SC. But that does not mean I don't have brain, my strength is quant. There is no need to feel embarrass about one weak area. Just keep revising until you grasp it 100%.

We should have done grammar properly in the school. :P

Fight for your dreams :For all those who fear from Verbal- lets give it a fight

Money Saved is the Money Earned :)

Jo Bole So Nihaal , Sat Shri Akaal

:thanks Support GMAT Club by putting a GMAT Club badge on your blog/Facebook :thanks

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Gmat test review :
670-to-710-a-long-journey-without-destination-still-happy-141642.html

Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 40

Re: Sometimes Read but don't understand what I read 100% [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2010, 19:31
Hi ed.

I have the same issue with the SC book. I cannot learn the concepts easily just reading through rules. Have a look at these threads about the GMAT pill method for SC. The videos for SC are relatively inexpensive and it may be a more efficient way for you to get to grips with the sc topics.

I for one will be reviewing each video section on the site, taking notes and comprehending the general 'gist' BEFORE going through the same topic in the Mgmat SC guide. I hope it will enable me to plough through the denser material in the SC guide.

It may work for you, it may not. Have a look at the site and the youtube video below to see if the system may suit your learning style. There is more information on the gmat pill site you can google.

gmat-pill-study-method-recommended-93417.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyb7zUmaG4U

Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion!

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: Sometimes Read but don't understand what I read 100% [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2010, 21:30
Thanks for the kind and encouraging words guys.

What I've noticed during this preparation is that, there are two main areas that will take more time to prepare than the others. I genuinely feel that, If you've finished Sentence Correction, and Word Problems, then one can breeze through the rest of the material pretty quickly. I feel Sentence Correction and Word Problems to be the most technical sections on the GMAT, and the most time consuming to understand, comprehend and retain. But once, we've done that, I feel it is fairly easy the rest of the section, at least in comparison to them.
Re: Sometimes Read but don't understand what I read 100%   [#permalink] 28 Aug 2010, 21:30