Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 10 Jul 2014, 20:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Sorry if this was posted before, but I couldn't find it on

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Sorry if this was posted before, but I couldn't find it on [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2006, 02:18
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Sorry if this was posted before, but I couldn't find it on the forum.

Store S sold a total of 90 copies of a certain book during the 7 days of last week, and it sold different numbers of copies on any 2 of the days. If for the 7 days store S sold the greatest number of copies on Saturday and the second greatest number of copies on Friday, did Store S sell more than 11 copies on Friday?

1) Last week Store S sold 8 copies of the book on Thursday
2) Last week store S sold 38 copies of the book on Saturday
GMAT Instructor
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 111 [0], given: 0

Re: DS: Copies of Books [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2006, 03:06
Googlore wrote:
Sorry if this was posted before, but I couldn't find it on the forum.

Store S sold a total of 90 copies of a certain book during the 7 days of last week, and it sold different numbers of copies on any 2 of the days. If for the 7 days store S sold the greatest number of copies on Saturday and the second greatest number of copies on Friday, did Store S sell more than 11 copies on Friday?

1) Last week Store S sold 8 copies of the book on Thursday
2) Last week store S sold 38 copies of the book on Saturday

I think it's clear that (1) is not suff. by itself:
For (1): (M, T, W, Th, S, F,Sa) could be (1,2,3,4,8,11,61) or (1,2,3,4,8,12,60)

For (2): Such a small value of S would seem to force F be be largeish. Suppose that F is not greater than 11. Thus F+Sa <=49 and M+T+W+Th+S>=41 But the largest possible sum, given that F is at most 11, would be 10+9+8+7+6=40. This contradiction implies that our supposition was wrong, that is F must be greater than 11. SUFF

My answer: B
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2006, 11:21
I also got B but used a different reasonsing.

The question says "Store S sold a total of 90 copies of a certain book during the 7 days of last week, and it sold different numbers of copies on any 2 of the days"

So that means on all but two of the days it sold the same number of books right? And on 2 of the days it has different number being sold.

1) - no sufficient as more that 11 or less than ll could be sold given 8 books were sold for each of the five days.

2) Sufficient as 38 books were sold on Saturday. If you pick numbers (in this case 8)...so 40 book for the five days and then 38 books for saturday you are left with 12 books being sold on Friday. Picking 8 or anything bellow tells you that 11 or more books MUST have been sold. If you pick a number over 8 (i.e 9) then 45 books are sold and 38 on Saturday and 83 total - Friday = 7 which cannot be possible as we know Friday had the 2nd greatest sales.

Please let me know if anyone thinks my reasoning is flawed.
GMAT Instructor

[#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2006, 14:04
Matrix02 wrote:
I also got B but used a different reasonsing.

The question says "Store S sold a total of 90 copies of a certain book during the 7 days of last week, and it sold different numbers of copies on any 2 of the days"

So that means on all but two of the days it sold the same number of books right? And on 2 of the days it has different number being sold.

1) - no sufficient as more that 11 or less than ll could be sold given 8 books were sold for each of the five days.

2) Sufficient as 38 books were sold on Saturday. If you pick numbers (in this case 8)...so 40 book for the five days and then 38 books for saturday you are left with 12 books being sold on Friday. Picking 8 or anything bellow tells you that 11 or more books MUST have been sold. If you pick a number over 8 (i.e 9) then 45 books are sold and 38 on Saturday and 83 total - Friday = 7 which cannot be possible as we know Friday had the 2nd greatest sales.

Please let me know if anyone thinks my reasoning is flawed.

Assuming that the same number of books were sold on the other days is a risky way to simplify the question. You got away with it here, but a question could be asked that would not reward such approximating.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2006, 06:46
Hmmm Thanks Kevin. But I am very confused by the wording why would they say

"Store S sold a total of 90 copies of a certain book during the 7 days of last week, and it sold different numbers of copies on any 2 of the days"

Doesn't saying the store sold a different number of copies on any 2 of days mean that the rest of days it sold the same number of copies? Why mention the 2 days then if it sold different numbers of books on each day.

Thanks!
GMAT Instructor

[#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2006, 07:39
Matrix02 wrote:
Hmmm Thanks Kevin. But I am very confused by the wording why would they say

"Store S sold a total of 90 copies of a certain book during the 7 days of last week, and it sold different numbers of copies on any 2 of the days"

Doesn't saying the store sold a different number of copies on any 2 of days mean that the rest of days it sold the same number of copies? Why mention the 2 days then if it sold different numbers of books on each day.

Thanks!

This means that the number of copies sold on any one day was different from the the number sold on any other day.
  [#permalink] 21 Sep 2006, 07:39