Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Aug 2014, 23:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Sorry to open a new thread: factory-outlet-stores-69678.html

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 20

Sorry to open a new thread: factory-outlet-stores-69678.html [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2010, 21:40
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

67% (01:37) correct 33% (00:43) wrong based on 6 sessions
Sorry to open a new thread:
factory-outlet-stores-69678.html

Factory outlet stores, operated by manufacturers, are usually located miles from downtown and regional shopping centers so as not directly to be competitive against department stores in the same trading area.
(A) so as not directly to be competitive against
(B) in order for them not to have direct competition with
(C) so that they do not compete directly with
(D) in order that they are not directly competitive against
(E) for the purpose of not competing directly with

I always get these kind of questions wrong with pronoun ambiguity. Here they may refer to Factory outlet stores or manufacturers or regional shopping centers.
Reading on some forums, I got to know that logically here They refers to Factory outlet stores. So the answer is C. Is this the sole reason or there is some other reason too?
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 2

Re: Factory outlet stores [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2010, 00:22
In parallel structures (such as this one, with "so that" marking the parallelism), a pronoun-subject ("they" in this case) in one clause may often be presumed to refer to the subject ("Factory outlet stores" in this case) of a parallel clause.

In other words, since "Factory outlet stores" is the 'noun subject' of the first clause and "they" is the pronoun-subject (if you will) of the second clause, 'they' can be unambiguously assumed to refer to 'factory outlet stores' and not to 'manufacturers'.

Hope this makes things clear.

Thanks,
Ashish
GMAT - 99th Pecentile, MBA-ISB, Faculty @ http://www.EducationAisle.com

Our book Sentence Correction Nirvana available at

Amazon: Sentence Correction Nirvana
Flipkart: Sentence Correction Nirvana

Manager
Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Factory outlet stores [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2010, 04:54
rohitgoel15 wrote:
Sorry to open a new thread:
factory-outlet-stores-69678.html

Factory outlet stores, operated by manufacturers, are usually located miles from downtown and regional shopping centers so as not directly to be competitive against department stores in the same trading area.

I always get these kind of questions wrong with pronoun ambiguity. Here they may refer to Factory outlet stores or manufacturers or regional shopping centers.
Reading on some forums, I got to know that logically here They refers to Factory outlet stores. So the answer is C. Is this the sole reason or there is some other reason too?

Correct ---- They refers to 'Factory outlet stores' and in addition C is short, concise and in active voice when compared to other options.

I do not suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: Factory outlet stores [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2010, 11:32
I am learning many new things that I should have learned long back .... :cry:
Good question ...great discussion ...
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Affiliations: ManhattanGMAT
Followers: 325

Kudos [?]: 694 [0], given: 11

Re: Factory outlet stores [#permalink] New post 11 Apr 2010, 10:40
Hey All,

Good point made by education aisle on the pronoun ambiguity. Always be careful of ambiguity in general, because there are some cheap ways for GMAC to get around it. I would add that it's a bit odd to describe "so as" as a parallelism trigger, considering that it's more of a modifier:

"I hurried so as to be on time."

That is not parallelism. If it were "hurried" and "to be" would not be allowed to be parallel (You cant say "I hurried and to eat.") It is a verbal modifier, answering the question "Why did he hurry?" Either way, the point stands that if you have a modifier, a pronoun within that modifier must refer to the main subject of the main clause. So let's go through the question, ignoring any pronoun issues.

PROBLEM: The ordering of the words here is illogical: "so as not directly to be competitive". They are located where they are "so as not to compete directly against...". The adverb directly should be modifying "compete". Here, it modifies...nothing.

PROBLEM: IDIOMATIC. You can't say "in order for", only "in order to".

ANSWER: Here, compete is modified by directly in the correct way.

PROBLEM: Again, directly is now modifying "competitive", which is odd. You can "compete directly" but what does it mean to be "directly competitive"? Also, IDIOMATICALLY, you can't be "competitive against" something, only competitive "with".

PROBLEM: This is a subtle meaning issue. They don't locate their stores there for the purpose of not competing directly, but so that they don't compete directly.

Hope that helps!

-t

Tommy Wallach | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | San Francisco

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Re: Factory outlet stores   [#permalink] 11 Apr 2010, 10:40