Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Sep 2014, 10:53

Happy Labor Day:

Free Access to New GMATClub Tests for all GMATClub Members!!

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

SOS-Need Guidance and Help

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

SOS-Need Guidance and Help [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2012, 10:31
I have been a silent member of this forum for last many years, though I started actively visiting this place only a few months back. REASON: I had been planning to take or rather retake my GMAT. My first shot at it was way back in 2008 and I ended up scoring merely 630 (Q 43 and V 34 and 5.0 for Essays). I was a lot disheartened and planned to study thoroughly and trying once more.

My work commitments took most of my time and I couldn't put a consistent effort, though I kept studying for it on and off. Then finally, I booked again for May 19, 2012 (as you can well guess, I was afraid of IR and I rushed into it). Along with the on and off preparation, I took about two weeks off and those were the only two weeks I would like to credit with getting me a score of 680 (Q47 and V 35). I am not a morning person and I could only get a morning slot-that was a big drawback because my body was still in the sleep-mode when I was writing my essays. I could merely score a 4.5 for essays. I am a non native speakers but I have always been good at essay writing so 4.5 was quite discouraging. In all other standardized tests I had taken my score had been a consistent 5.0. Later, I somehow took little longer in wash room and lost some minutes in the Q portion, though I feel I was able to catch up but somehow I could never get over the shock and then could never gain composure for the rest of the exam. I didn't like that after putting so many efforts in verbal, I still could improve by only one point. I was definitely not prepared to see anything lower than a 7 in the hundreds place. So, I again thought of taking another shot (by now, you might have gotten the fact that I have gone crazy- yeah, I too feel so),

I stopped my life-this is something I always do. I didn't go out, stopped interactions with even my family and everything else that I feel was draining off my energy- I went in a cocoon. I know people always suggest not to do so but I don't know how I can otherwise concentrate and put more efforts. I used MGMAT's SC and RC and powerscore for CR. In my previous attempt, I used to think that all these are vague and I was not able to get much out of them. This time, I felt I was able to understand their techniques better and it, kind of, improved my accuracy when I practised on OGs-I really saw good improvement, at least, that is what I felt. I took GmatClub tests for math practice, though my main Quant guide has always been M Tyra's Magical Book on Quicker math that you find in Indian book-stores easily. I took my exam today on Nov. 17, 2012 and I thought, I attacked the essay very well and I am sure I can get back to at least my 5.0 bracket. IR started with a probability question and I spent 5 minutes on it and still couldn't figure how to solve it. So, I made a guess and moved on. I picked up the pace but went out of time around problems # 11 & 12, where I again made quick guesses. I can't say how I did on IR but I still feel I might not have done bad. I started my quant and I believed I did my first question correct but somehow, the second question seemed to be ridiculously easier and I had a feeling that I missed my first question. I still kept myself motivated and I didn't feel any problem with time and even the difficulty of the question for the remaining portion. Questions seemed to be in my grip but I wanted to see probability questions to know how I was doing and I got two probability questions in DS-that gave me the idea that I was not doing badly. Though I made some guesses in 20s to gain time, but it seems, almost all 30s went correct. I finished math on a happier note and I thought of giving my best efforts on verbal and here was where the shocker came. I started with verbal but somehow, I felt time was slipping out and none of the things I learned were working. I couldn't imagine that I was at 20th question when I just had 15 minutes left. I knew that I have done well in one section only to badly lose in the other. Never, in my wild dreams I had thought that I could do so bad. I had to run and make random guesses to complete the exam. Well, I ended up with a 620 (Q 50 and V 24). I am just not able to understand how I can do this.

Anyway, I would like to say that I couldn't sleep very well over the night (some personal problem happened just 2 days before the exam and I had been thinking about it while taking the exam). I don't mean to exaggerate but I never felt I had been so bad in verbal-neither in real life nor in practice. Right now, my mind is numb but I thought of coming out of closet and asking for HELP and guidance about what I should do. I am looking for some top schools in non-profit management. More than the admission, my GMAT score hurts me-I can't get over it.

In the first GMATPrep I had scored 710 and second was 660. In second GMATPrep, I faced the same problem that had happened in my real test. I lost pace in verbal but I never imagined it could happen again. I felt I had been able to do ok on my previous attempts so even if I don't improve, I won't do worse than my previous scores (though I was hoping to see good improvement after what I felt about my verbal preparation). However, it fell flat and here I am asking for anybody to show me the path!!!

Here, i would like to add that I took GMATClub tests for math and Platinum GMAT tests for both math and verbal ad my pace was ok. Other than this I didn't take any other practice exams and that may have been my problem
I am sorry, if my thoughts don't sound coherent-I am just out of my senses and numb.
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
SOS-Need Guidance and Help   [#permalink] 17 Nov 2012, 10:31