Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 12:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Sound can travel through water for enormous distances,

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1227

Kudos [?]: 3367 [1] , given: 181

Re: Sound can travel through water for enormous distances, [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2013, 23:10
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Reading the discussion on this thread surely took my head for a spin. I don't know if I could also blame the time (its past midnight here). Anyways, I will give my two cents on this discussion.

But first of all, @marcab, welcome back!!
After reading through your doubts here, I think I can figure out why you are confused between choices B and C. There is two-fold reason for your confusion

1: Use of verb-ed modifier - verb-ed modifiers modify the closest noun phrase. In the context of GMAT, I have not seen a single question in which these modifiers modify the preceding clause. Yes in normal English usage, we do use these modifiers the way we use verb-ing modifiers to modify the preceding clause. Now that being said, your explanation about the use of "prevented" to modify the subject "sound" is not correct.

2: The use of modifier "by boundaries" - The way these choices are constructed lead to two different modifications in the sentence.

Choice B: Sound can travel through water for enormous distances, prevented from having its acoustic energy dissipated by boundaries in the ocean created by water layers of different temperatures and densities.

prevented from what?
prevented from having its acoustic energy what?
prevented from having its acoustic energy dissipated by what?
prevented from having its acoustic energy dissipated by boundaries.
Per the logical intended meaning, do the boundaries "dissipate the energy"? No. Boundaries prevent the dissipation.
Another thing - "by boundaries" is too far away from "prevented" to modify it.

Now lets look at choice C
Choice C: Sound can travel through water for enormous distances, its acoustic energy prevented from dissipating by boundaries in the ocean created by water layers of different temperatures and densities.

prevented from what?
prevented from dissipating
prevented by what?
prevented by boundaries
so together we have - prevented from dissipating by boundaries
By contrast, in this choice, "by boundaries" is in good proximity of "prevented" to modify it correctly.

I hope this helps with the meaning clarification!

Free Webinar: August 24, 2014 - Improve by 70 Points in 30 days: Register for this Free Webinar to learn how to define your strategy, analyze your mocks and improve by 70 points in 30 days. Click here to register.

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
BSchool Forum Moderator
Followers: 77

Kudos [?]: 469 [0], given: 102

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Sound can travel through water for enormous distances, [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2013, 06:59
Expert's post
egmat wrote:
Reading the discussion on this thread surely took my head for a spin. I don't know if I could also blame the time (its past midnight here). Anyways, I will give my two cents on this discussion.

But first of all, @marcab, welcome back!!
After reading through your doubts here, I think I can figure out why you are confused between choices B and C. There is two-fold reason for your confusion

1: Use of verb-ed modifier - verb-ed modifiers modify the closest noun phrase. In the context of GMAT, I have not seen a single question in which these modifiers modify the preceding clause. Yes in normal English usage, we do use these modifiers the way we use verb-ing modifiers to modify the preceding clause. Now that being said, your explanation about the use of "prevented" to modify the subject "sound" is not correct.

2: The use of modifier "by boundaries" - The way these choices are constructed lead to two different modifications in the sentence.

Choice B: Sound can travel through water for enormous distances, prevented from having its acoustic energy dissipated by boundaries in the ocean created by water layers of different temperatures and densities.

prevented from what?
prevented from having its acoustic energy what?
prevented from having its acoustic energy dissipated by what?
prevented from having its acoustic energy dissipated by boundaries.
Per the logical intended meaning, do the boundaries "dissipate the energy"? No. Boundaries prevent the dissipation.
Another thing - "by boundaries" is too far away from "prevented" to modify it.

Now lets look at choice C
Choice C: Sound can travel through water for enormous distances, its acoustic energy prevented from dissipating by boundaries in the ocean created by water layers of different temperatures and densities.

prevented from what?
prevented from dissipating
prevented by what?
prevented by boundaries
so together we have - prevented from dissipating by boundaries
By contrast, in this choice, "by boundaries" is in good proximity of "prevented" to modify it correctly.

I hope this helps with the meaning clarification!

e-GMAT,
Could you please come up with the detail analysis and explanation for this...I'm not able to get it :(

I thought correct ans: E

UPDATED : e-GMAT SC Resources-Consolidated || ALL RC Resources-Consolidated || ALL SC Resources-Consolidated || UPDATED : AWA compilations-109 Analysis of Argument Essays || NEW !!! GMAC's IR Prep Tool

GMAT Club guide - OG 11-12-13 || Veritas Blog || Manhattan GMAT Blog

KUDOS please, if you like the post or if it helps :-)

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 39

GMAT Tests User
Re: Sound can travel through water for enormous distances, [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2013, 00:31
absolute phrase in c shows the context of main clause.

the meaning in c is

in the context that, energy of sound is prevented from dissipating by...., sound can travel a long distance.

the meaing relation between absolute phrase, and main clause should be understood clearly. Unforturenately, there is no grammar book which said about this point.

any one know about the meaning relation between absolute phrase and main clause, pls, share. sc is meaning game. this means we have to diferentiate between the distorted meaning and intended meaning and so, we have to know this meaning relation.
Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 127

Kudos [?]: 590 [0], given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Sound can travel through water for enormous distances, [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2013, 06:46
Expert's post
Quoting your doubt
Quote:
any one know about the meaning relation between absolute phrase and main clause

The trick in order to identify absolute phrase is to check whether the clause contains a verb or not. If the clause contains a verb then it cannot be the AP.
Moreover, an AP will always answer HOW of the preceding clause.
Hope that helps.

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GPA: 2.5
WE: Operations (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 101 [0], given: 59

GMAT Tests User
Re: Sound can travel through water for enormous distances, [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2013, 10:45
Marcab wrote:
Sound can travel through water for enormous distances, prevented from dissipating its acoustic energy as a result of boundaries in the ocean created by water layers of different temperatures and densities.
1)same as underlined
2)prevented from having its acoustic energy dissipated by
3) its acoustic energy prevented from dissipating by
4) its acoustic energy prevented from being dissipated as a result of
5) preventing its acoustic energy from dissipating by

I need proper explanations that why correct answer is correct and why incorrect ones are not correct.

If you think that this is a good question, then kudo me.

Will post the OA after some discussion.

Answer C (I am learning, so forum experts please correct)

Choice 1 - uses "as a result of" (there cannot be a result of boundaries)
Choice 2 - ed verb (modifying closest noun/ other reason already mentioned in post)
Choice 3 - correct pronoun referent, ed form of verb and use of by
Choice 4 - uses as a result of
Choice 5 - ing verb, modifying entire clause

"When the going gets tough, the tough gets going!"

Bring ON SOME KUDOS MATES+++

-----------------------------
Quant Notes consolidated: consolodited-quant-guides-of-forum-most-helpful-in-preps-151067.html#p1217652

My GMAT journey begins: my-gmat-journey-begins-122251.html

All about Richard Ivey: all-about-richard-ivey-148594.html#p1190518

Director
Director
Concentration: General Management, General Management
Schools: ISB '16
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 182 [0], given: 304

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Sound can travel through water for enormous distances, [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2013, 20:59
Somehow I don't agree with the previous explanation about verb-ed modifiers.

"prevented from blah blah......",Sound can travel through water ...............

Is Correct !

however , the problem with (B) is that

having its acoustic energy dissipated by boundaries.

Acoustic energy is not dissipated by boundaries as per the meaning.

Furthermore, the placement of "by boundaries " is anywhere correct as it is a Verb modifier
with less restrictions to its placement.

Rgds,
TGC!

Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 127

Kudos [?]: 590 [0], given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Sound can travel through water for enormous distances, [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2013, 06:35
Expert's post
Quote:
Sound can travel through water for enormous distances, prevented from dissipating its acoustic energy as a result of boundaries in the ocean created by water layers of different temperatures and densities.
1)same as underlined

Responding to a PM
The basic difference between B and C is the subject.
In B, subject is "sound'. So B implies that "sound" is prevented from having its acoustic energy bla bla bla.
C, in which the subject is "acoustic energy", on the other hand implies that "sound's acoustic energy is prevented from dissipating bla bla bla". Moreover the construction that is used in C is of "absolute phrase". Whenever you come across this construction, just ask HOW after the clause just before the absolute phrase. If the Absolute phrase answers your "how" question correctly in exact words then that choice is the answer.
"Sound can travel through water for enormous distances". HOW?
ANSWER: its acoustic energy prevented from dissipating by boundaries in the ocean created by water layers of different temperatures and densities.

Hope that helps.
Let me know if more clarification is required.

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

Expert Post
GMAT Pill Instructor
Followers: 286

Kudos [?]: 636 [0], given: 6

Re: Sound can travel through water for enormous distances, [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2013, 12:58
Expert's post
Marcab wrote:
1)same as underlined

I need proper explanations that why correct answer is correct and why incorrect ones are not correct.

If you think that this is a good question, then kudo me.

Will post the OA after some discussion.

Step 1)

I noticed the first phrase before the comma was a complete thought: "Sound can travel through water for enormous distances"

So that means what follows the comma must be a descriptive phrase.

Step 2)

I noticed one of the answer choices was a descriptive -ING verb phrase - so I ask myself: does it make sense that the SOUND is the one that is PREVENTING its acoustic energy from dissipating by X?

No - it does not make sense that sound prevents something.

So that leads me to look at (C) and (D) more carefully.

Step 3)

Between these two choices, (C) is clearly simpler - with fewer words. It also does not have the red flag word "being"in there. So at this point, (C) appears to be the best of the available answer choices.

... and more

Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)

GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

Manager
Manager
GPA: 3.46
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 78 [0], given: 160

Premium Member
Re: Sound can travel through water for enormous distances, [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2013, 01:38
IMO C

In C, we have an Absolute Phrase- A modifier that is modifying the subject i.e. Sound. In case of B, prevented from having its acoustic energy dissipated by -it's a Verb-ed modifier modifying the nearest noun could be either 'Water' or 'distances'. Ambiguous and moreover, this is not what is intended by the sentence.

Similar to this question:

With surface temperatures estimated at minus 230 degrees Fahrenheit, Jupiter's moon Europa has long been considered far too cold to support life, and with 60 square miles of water thought to be frozen from top to bottom.

(A) Europa has long been considered far too cold to support life, and with

(B) Europa has long been considered far too cold to support life, its

(C) Europa has long been considered as far too cold to support life and has

(D) Europa, long considered as far too cold to support life, and its

(E) Europa, long considered to be far too cold to support life, and to have

Thanks!!
Re: Sound can travel through water for enormous distances,   [#permalink] 05 Sep 2013, 01:38