Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 21:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Sound can travel through water for enormous distances,

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
User avatar
Status: Preparing for the another shot...!
Joined: 03 Feb 2011
Posts: 1425
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 127

Kudos [?]: 616 [1] , given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Sound can travel through water for enormous distances, [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2012, 08:46
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
5
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

73% (02:18) correct 27% (00:50) wrong based on 115 sessions
Sound can travel through water for enormous distances, prevented from dissipating its acoustic energy as a result of boundaries in the ocean created by water layers of different temperatures and densities.
1)same as underlined
2)prevented from having its acoustic energy dissipated by
3) its acoustic energy prevented from dissipating by
4) its acoustic energy prevented from being dissipated as a result of
5) preventing its acoustic energy from dissipating by

I need proper explanations that why correct answer is correct and why incorrect ones are not correct.

If you think that this is a good question, then kudo me.

Will post the OA after some discussion.
_________________

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 16 Jul 2012
Posts: 14
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.5
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 10

Re: Tough one [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2012, 09:08
Please refer to the below thread :
forum/set26-37-sound-can-travel-through-water-for-enormous-77588.html
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
User avatar
Status: Preparing for the another shot...!
Joined: 03 Feb 2011
Posts: 1425
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 127

Kudos [?]: 616 [1] , given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Tough one [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2012, 09:15
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
vishal2302 wrote:
Please refer to the below thread :
forum/set26-37-sound-can-travel-through-water-for-enormous-77588.html

I already did that but was dissatisfied. That's why this time I am counting on experts. By the way if you know the explanation, then it would be great if share it on this forum.
_________________

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

5 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Status: SLOGGING : My son says,This time Papa u will have to make it : Innocence is BLISS
Joined: 16 Jan 2012
Posts: 211
Location: India
WE: Sales (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 6 [5] , given: 30

CAT Tests
Re: Tough one [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2012, 11:59
5
This post received
KUDOS
Hi Buddy : Plz find an explanation from the magical Stacey Koprince of MGMAT

The excerpt :

This is an OG question, so I can't discuss it directly, but I can discuss a similar sentence that I make up...

The debate here is between these two "types" of sentences:

1) Light can travel through space for huge distances, its energy prevented from dissipating by X.

2) Light can travel through space for huge distances, preventing its energy from dissipating by X.


Let's start with #1.
The word "prevented" can be a regular conjugated verb or it can be a participle. If it's a participle, it can be part of a verb form (with another conjugated verb before it) or it can indicate a modifier. Examples of the two verb options:

"prevented" as regular conjugated verb: I prevented my paper from blowing away.

Conjugated verb + "prevented" participle: My paper was prevented from blowing away. (The paper was prevented by me.)

Now, what is the difference in those two sentence constructions? The first is active; the second is passive. In the first, the subject (I) is doing the action (prevented). In the second, the subject (paper) is having the action performed on it (I'm still doing the preventing, not the paper).

Could I write: "The paper prevented from blowing away" - meaning, the paper prevented itself from blowing away? Nope. The paper can't prevent itself from blowing away. If we want to use "the paper" as the subject, we have to write this in passive voice.

So. Energy prevented from dissipating by X. Is that a sentence? Can the energy prevent itself from dissipating? No, again. If we want to use "energy" as a subject and have an independent clause here, we have to write this in passive voice, which would be "the energy WAS prevented from dissipating by X."

What does that mean? That word "prevented" is not a conjugated verb or part of a conjugated verb form in this sentence. Therefore, it's a modifier and the stuff after the comma in C is NOT an independent clause - it's the rest of the modifier.

Now, #2.
2) Light can travel through space for huge distances, preventing its energy from dissipating by X.

We have <independent clause>, <-ing modifier>. The -ing modifier needs to modify the preceding clause. Also, the modifier needs to follow from the independent clause; that is, something in the independent clause needs to be doing this "preventing." What is doing this preventing?

Argh. It's the stuff after the word "by." That's not part of the independent clause. Nothing in the independent clause is responsible for "preventing the energy from dissipating." This is a misplaced modifier.

If it's too confusing to understand based on the example above, try this:

Paper can fly through the air for huge distances, preventing it from falling by gusts of wind.

What's preventing the paper from falling? The gusts of wind. But the "preventing" has to refer to the stuff *before* the comma. Nothing *before* the comma is actually preventing the paper from falling.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
User avatar
Status: Preparing for the another shot...!
Joined: 03 Feb 2011
Posts: 1425
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 127

Kudos [?]: 616 [1] , given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Tough one [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2012, 12:22
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Sorry to say, but I really don't think this explanation is satisfactory.
As per the options in the OG question concerned, the "sound" is acting as the object in the second option.
Moreover if you can explain the subtle changes in the meaning of B and C, it would be great. What is the difference between "sound is prevented from dissipating its acoustic energy" and "its acoustic energy is prevented from dissipating". I mean to say, in both cases acoustic energy is being dissipated then what is the issue. I can eliminate the wrong ones by POE but I really want to understand the meaning.
_________________

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 02 Jul 2009
Posts: 72
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 7

Re: Tough one [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2012, 12:55
3 is the answer.

1, 2 and 5..meaning is not right. sound is not preventing the enerery..and the modifiers prevented and preventing do not modify sound correctly..

4. energy prevented from being dissipated as a result of--is awakward
_________________

Please provide kudos if you like my post. Thank you.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 11 May 2011
Posts: 376
Location: US
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 61 [0], given: 46

Re: Tough one [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2012, 13:24
Answer is C.

Excellent explanation given by Stacey and sharted by skmskm. Cheers.
_________________

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What you do TODAY is important because you're exchanging a day of your life for it!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
User avatar
Status: Preparing for the another shot...!
Joined: 03 Feb 2011
Posts: 1425
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 127

Kudos [?]: 616 [0], given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Tough one [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2012, 17:27
Expert's post
Capricorn369 wrote:
Answer is C.

Excellent explanation given by Stacey and sharted by skmskm. Cheers.

Can you elaborate the difference in meaning between b and c.
_________________

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Status: SLOGGING : My son says,This time Papa u will have to make it : Innocence is BLISS
Joined: 16 Jan 2012
Posts: 211
Location: India
WE: Sales (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 30

CAT Tests
Re: Tough one [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2012, 21:09
siddharthasingh wrote:
Capricorn369 wrote:
Answer is C.

Excellent explanation given by Stacey and sharted by skmskm. Cheers.

Can you elaborate the difference in meaning between b and c.


Plz have a look at Stacey's post :

B : Could I write: "The paper prevented from blowing away" - meaning, the paper prevented itself from blowing away? Nope. The paper can't prevent itself from blowing away. If we want to use "the paper" as the subject, we have to write this in passive voice.

So. Energy prevented from dissipating by X. Is that a sentence? Can the energy prevent itself from dissipating? No, again. If we want to use "energy" as a subject and have an independent clause here, we have to write this in passive voice, which would be "the energy WAS prevented from dissipating by X."

C : Paper can fly through the air for huge distances, preventing it from falling by gusts of wind.

What's preventing the paper from falling? The gusts of wind. But the "preventing" has to refer to the stuff *before* the comma. Nothing *before* the comma is actually preventing the paper from falling.
Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
User avatar
Status: Preparing for the another shot...!
Joined: 03 Feb 2011
Posts: 1425
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 127

Kudos [?]: 616 [0], given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Tough one [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2012, 23:57
Expert's post
Hey sks,
lets break the entire sentence into clauses.
1) Sound can travel through water for enormous distances.
2) Sound is prevented from dissipating its acoustic energy as a result of boundaries in the ocean created by water layers of different temperatures and densities.

In your explanation you have stated that energy prevented itself ......
IMO subject is SOUND.
that's why I have been asking for the differences in the meanings of B and C.
_________________

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Status: SLOGGING : My son says,This time Papa u will have to make it : Innocence is BLISS
Joined: 16 Jan 2012
Posts: 211
Location: India
WE: Sales (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 30

CAT Tests
Re: Tough one [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2012, 00:59
1
This post received
KUDOS
siddharthasingh wrote:
Hey sks,
lets break the entire sentence into clauses.
1) Sound can travel through water for enormous distances.
2) Sound is prevented from dissipating its acoustic energy as a result of boundaries in the ocean created by water layers of different temperatures and densities.

In your explanation you have stated that energy prevented itself ......
IMO subject is SOUND.
that's why I have been asking for the differences in the meanings of B and C.


Sorry my bad : plz read my earlier post options as C n E and not B n C ( Just an oversight , was under the thought that u wanted a clarification wrt C n E)

back to the question : Diff bxn B n C

B : is wrong because of the -ed modifier

-ed modifiers tend to modify the closest noun , thus in B = Prevent -ED is wrongly modifying Distances whereas it should modify Accoustic Energy :the accoustic energy is Prevented ........ not the distance.

C : Sound travels a longer distance ..................... ( How is this possible ? )........... because its energy is prevented from dissipating by X = The terminal portion in C after the comma is nothing but a modifier stating how it is possible for Sound to travel longer distances.

leading to C
Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
User avatar
Status: Preparing for the another shot...!
Joined: 03 Feb 2011
Posts: 1425
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 127

Kudos [?]: 616 [0], given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Tough one [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2012, 02:34
Expert's post
skmskm wrote:
siddharthasingh wrote:
Hey sks,
lets break the entire sentence into clauses.
1) Sound can travel through water for enormous distances.
2) Sound is prevented from dissipating its acoustic energy as a result of boundaries in the ocean created by water layers of different temperatures and densities.

In your explanation you have stated that energy prevented itself ......
IMO subject is SOUND.
that's why I have been asking for the differences in the meanings of B and C.


Sorry my bad : plz read my earlier post options as C n E and not B n C ( Just an oversight , was under the thought that u wanted a clarification wrt C n E)

back to the question : Diff bxn B n C

B : is wrong because of the -ed modifier

-ed modifiers tend to modify the closest noun , thus in B = Prevent -ED is wrongly modifying Distances whereas it should modify Accoustic Energy :the accoustic energy is Prevented ........ not the distance.

C : Sound travels a longer distance ..................... ( How is this possible ? )........... because its energy is prevented from dissipating by X = The terminal portion in C after the comma is nothing but a modifier stating how it is possible for Sound to travel longer distances.

leading to C


Skm,
Its not necessary that the verb-ed modifies the word preceding it.
that's why I told you in my earlier post. The subject is sound.
For your concept, when the subject is performing the action then we use verb-Ing and use active voice BUT when the same subject is used as the object upon which the action is performed, then we use verb-ed and passive voice.
I will really advise you to reply me back at this thread when you have read this post. You did the same earlier, forcing me to repeat my question several times.
_________________

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Status: SLOGGING : My son says,This time Papa u will have to make it : Innocence is BLISS
Joined: 16 Jan 2012
Posts: 211
Location: India
WE: Sales (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 30

CAT Tests
Re: Tough one [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2012, 03:35
siddharthasingh wrote:
skmskm wrote:
siddharthasingh wrote:
Hey sks,
lets break the entire sentence into clauses.
1) Sound can travel through water for enormous distances.
2) Sound is prevented from dissipating its acoustic energy as a result of boundaries in the ocean created by water layers of different temperatures and densities.

In your explanation you have stated that energy prevented itself ......
IMO subject is SOUND.
that's why I have been asking for the differences in the meanings of B and C.


Sorry my bad : plz read my earlier post options as C n E and not B n C ( Just an oversight , was under the thought that u wanted a clarification wrt C n E)

back to the question : Diff bxn B n C

B : is wrong because of the -ed modifier

-ed modifiers tend to modify the closest noun , thus in B = Prevent -ED is wrongly modifying Distances whereas it should modify Accoustic Energy :the accoustic energy is Prevented ........ not the distance.

C : Sound travels a longer distance ..................... ( How is this possible ? )........... because its energy is prevented from dissipating by X = The terminal portion in C after the comma is nothing but a modifier stating how it is possible for Sound to travel longer distances.

leading to C


Skm,
Its not necessary that the verb-ed modifies the word preceding it.
that's why I told you in my earlier post. The subject is sound.
For your concept, when the subject is performing the action then we use verb-Ing and use active voice BUT when the same subject is used as the object upon which the action is performed, then we use verb-ed and passive voice.
I will really advise you to reply me back at this thread when you have read this post. You did the same earlier, forcing me to repeat my question several times.


1. For your concept, when the subject is performing the action then we use verb-Ing and use active voice BUT when the same subject is used as the object upon which the action is performed, then we use verb-ed and passive voice : Sure buddy, will revisit my concept.

2. I will really advise you to reply me back at this thread when you have read this post. You did the same earlier, forcing me to repeat my question several times : Sorry for that ; Surely will be more careful in the future.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 30 Aug 2011
Posts: 22
Location: United States
Concentration: General Management, International Business
Schools: ISB '15
GMAT 1: 680 Q46 V37
WE: Project Management (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 17

Re: Tough one [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2012, 06:16
Initially I also fell for E. However, the correct answer is C.

To make the meaning clear, read C as:
Sound can travel through water for enormous distances - its acoustic energy prevented from dissipating by boundaries in the ocean created by water layers of different temperatures and densities.

Here it is clear that "Boundaries in ocean" prevent Sound's acoustic energy from getting dissipated.

In E (incorrect answer), the sentence implies that the "Sound" itself prevents its acoustic energy from dissipating by using boundaries in the ocean.

Hope this helps.
Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
User avatar
Status: Preparing for the another shot...!
Joined: 03 Feb 2011
Posts: 1425
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 127

Kudos [?]: 616 [0], given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Tough one [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2012, 07:12
Expert's post
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 30 Aug 2011
Posts: 22
Location: United States
Concentration: General Management, International Business
Schools: ISB '15
GMAT 1: 680 Q46 V37
WE: Project Management (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 17

Re: Tough one [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2012, 07:39
IMO, B is (a) wordy and (b) has no real meaning.

B implies that Sound is somehow "being prevented" from dissipating its acoustic energy - by boundaries in ocean.
Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
User avatar
Status: Preparing for the another shot...!
Joined: 03 Feb 2011
Posts: 1425
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 127

Kudos [?]: 616 [0], given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Tough one [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2012, 08:52
Expert's post
So what?
I mean how can you deduce that which meaning us correct and which is not.
The two options, b and c, imply ->
1)sound is prevented from having its acoustic energy dissipated by boundaries
2)sound's acoustic energy is prevented from dissipating by boundaries
respectively.
My question straightaway is how can you choose a particular meaning to be correct?
_________________

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 16 Feb 2012
Posts: 260
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 111

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Tough one [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2012, 09:22
At first I thought it is B, but after I read the explanation from skmskm I realized that I'm wrong.
The correct answer is C.
Tough one.
_________________

Kudos if you like the post!

Failing to plan is planning to fail.

Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 03 Aug 2012
Posts: 905
Concentration: General Management, General Management
Schools: ISB '16
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 204 [0], given: 312

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Sound can travel through water for enormous distances, [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2013, 19:40
It is clear though the word "having" in (B) makes it wordy.

2)prevented from having its acoustic energy dissipated by
3) its acoustic energy prevented from dissipating by


Rgds,
Thanks
_________________

Rgds,
TGC!
_____________________________________________________________________
I Assisted You => KUDOS Please
_____________________________________________________________________________

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 20 Sep 2008
Posts: 71
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [2] , given: 8

Reviews Badge
Re: Tough one [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2013, 20:44
2
This post received
KUDOS
Marcab wrote:
So what?
I mean how can you deduce that which meaning us correct and which is not.
The two options, b and c, imply ->
1)sound is prevented from having its acoustic energy dissipated by boundaries
2)sound's acoustic energy is prevented from dissipating by boundaries
respectively.
My question straightaway is how can you choose a particular meaning to be correct?


This question bugged me, too, so here is the result of my search and hopefully the answer to your question about meaning :)
https://e-gmat.com/blogs/?p=413
Re: Tough one   [#permalink] 26 Feb 2013, 20:44
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
34 Experts publish their posts in the topic Sound can travel through water for enormous Economist 56 07 Apr 2009, 10:27
1 Sound can travel through water for enormous distances, goalsnr 6 18 Jun 2008, 19:47
Q37 Sound can travel through water for enormous distances, sidbidus 6 29 Oct 2007, 02:30
Sound can travel through water for enormous distances, singh_amit19 1 29 Sep 2007, 23:45
Sound can travel through water for enormous distances, IWT801 9 11 Dec 2005, 07:25
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Sound can travel through water for enormous distances,

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 31 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.