Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 09:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Source: Friend A recent study has concluded that, contrary

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 4

Reviews Badge
Source: Friend A recent study has concluded that, contrary [#permalink] New post 09 May 2011, 23:33
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

100% (02:04) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 2 sessions
Source: Friend

A recent study has concluded that, contrary to the claim of those trying to ban cigarette advertisements altogether, cigarette ads placed on bill boards and in magazines have little to no effect on the smoking habits of the smokers and solicited their reasons for continuing to smoke, found that practically no one in the survey felt that these advertisements influenced their decision to smoke.

The study's conclusion is based upon which of the following assumptions.

a) people do not switch cigarette brands based on their exposure to cigarette ads on bill boards and in magazines.

b) Cigarette ads on bill boards and in magazines do not encourage non smokers to take up the habit.

c) Banning cigarette ads altogether will encourage people to give up smoking

d) people are consciously aware of all reasons they choose to smoke

e) People who decide to smoke do so for rational reasons.

OA is D....

My doubt: In assumption question we can go for external details, in this argument study was based on the smokers reaction with cigarette ads placed on billboards and magazines. This argument failed to include non smokers reaction to the ads.

So as in option B we may assume that these ads do not encourage non smokers to take up the habit.( Assumption Q)

But in option D, it can be inferred that smokers are aware of the reasons of their smoking.( inference Q)

So, why option D but not B is correct.
Manager
Manager
Status: Preparing myself to break the sound( 700 )-barrier!
Affiliations: IFC - Business Edge, Bangladesh Enterprise Institute
Schools: Texas A&M - Mays; PennState - Smeal; Purdue - Krannert; JohnsHopkins - Carey; Vanderbilt - Owen; WakeForest - Babcock; UBC - Sauder
WE 1: Financial Analyst/Financial Management Trainer - BRAC Afghanistan - 13 months
WE 2: Business Proposal Coordinator - MiDS, Inc. (in Kabul, Afghanistan) - 4 Months (did quit the job bcoz of security concerns)
WE 3: Readers For Readers (A Social Impact Generating Organization) - Co-Founder
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 136

Re: CR- help required [#permalink] New post 10 May 2011, 03:53
I am still a rookie in CR.

Yet, it was really tempting to attempt answering this question. I am pretty confident that the option D is the answer. I have got this answer through elimination process. Here is how -

Option A: Switching cigarette brands is out of the scope of the argument. So A is eliminated.
Option B: Hold the decision for B. Move on to the next.
Option C: This is not supported by the evidence. So, C is also eliminated.
Option D: Hold the decision for D. Move on to the next.
Option E: It is strengthening the argument; not actually the assumption.

So we are left with option B and D. Now, if we negate these options:
After negating B, the argument itself falls apart. But, we know, the arguments given in the CR are always true and valid. So option B is eliminated.

Thus, D becomes my answer.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 4

Reviews Badge
Re: CR- help required [#permalink] New post 10 May 2011, 05:14
Schawjibb wrote:
I am still a rookie in CR.

Yet, it was really tempting to attempt answering this question. I am pretty confident that the option D is the answer. I have got this answer through elimination process. Here is how -

Option A: Switching cigarette brands is out of the scope of the argument. So A is eliminated.
Option B: Hold the decision for B. Move on to the next.
Option C: This is not supported by the evidence. So, C is also eliminated.
Option D: Hold the decision for D. Move on to the next.
Option E: It is strengthening the argument; not actually the assumption.

So we are left with option B and D. Now, if we negate these options:
After negating B, the argument itself falls apart. But, we know, the arguments given in the CR are always true and valid. So option B is eliminated.

Thus, D becomes my answer.

thanks for ur valuable explanation... I got it now...
Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
GPA: 3.37
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 151 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR- help required [#permalink] New post 10 May 2011, 07:38
Sometimes it helps to rephrase the argument in your own words.

I would rephrase the argument as:
Study says billboard/magazine ads have little to no effect on smoking habits since no one surveyed felt the ad influenced their smoking habits.

B) is just the conclusion, phrased a different way.
D) is correct because if we knew that people CANT determine whether they were influenced, then the study would have no leg to stand on.
Re: CR- help required   [#permalink] 10 May 2011, 07:38