Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Oct 2014, 20:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Source Gmatclub posted by goalsnr Doctor: Research shows

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
WE 1: 4 years Tech
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 72 [1] , given: 149

Source Gmatclub posted by goalsnr Doctor: Research shows [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2010, 11:33
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

80% (01:45) correct 20% (01:45) wrong based on 10 sessions
Source Gmatclub posted by goalsnr
Doctor: Research shows that adolescents who play video games on a regular basis are three times as likely to develop carpal tunnel syndrome as are adolescents who do not play video games. Federal legislation that prohibits the sale of video games to minors would help curb this painful wrist condition among adolescents.

The doctor’s conclusion depends on which of the following assumptions?

(A) The majority of federal legislators would vote for a bill that prohibits the sale of video games to minors.
(B) Not all adolescents who play video games on a regular basis suffer from carpal tunnel syndrome.
(C) Playing video games is the only way an adolescent can develop carpal tunnel syndrome.
(D) Most parents would refuse to purchase video games for their adolescent children.
(E) The regular playing of video games by adolescents does not produce such beneficial effects as better hand-eye coordination and improved reaction time.
[Reveal] Spoiler:
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
D

The guy who posted thisw question on the forum said the OA is D.
I agree on D but I feel C serves equally well.
If the carpal syndrome can be caused by things other than video games.then why will be the syndrome be curbed.
Curbed means stopped.
To undermine D , what if the adolscents are able to borrow the games from some of the older persons.

My Post Invites Discussions not answers
Try to give back something to the Forum.I want your explanations, right now !
Please let me know your opinion about the Chandigarh Gmat Centrehttp://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-experience-at-chandigarh-india-centre-111830.html

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 94 [0], given: 10

Re: Carpal tunnel [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2010, 12:00
mundasingh123 wrote:
Source Gmatclub posted by goalsnr
Doctor: Research shows that adolescents who play video games on a regular basis are three times as likely to develop carpal tunnel syndrome as are adolescents who do not play video games. Federal legislation that prohibits the sale of video games to minors would help curb this painful wrist condition among adolescents.

The doctor’s conclusion depends on which of the following assumptions?

(A) The majority of federal legislators would vote for a bill that prohibits the sale of video games to minors.
(B) Not all adolescents who play video games on a regular basis suffer from carpal tunnel syndrome.
(C) Playing video games is the only way an adolescent can develop carpal tunnel syndrome.
(D) Most parents would refuse to purchase video games for their adolescent children.
(E) The regular playing of video games by adolescents does not produce such beneficial effects as better hand-eye coordination and improved reaction time.
[Reveal] Spoiler:
D

The guy who posted thisw question on the forum said the OA is D.
I agree on D but I feel C serves equally well.
If the carpal syndrome can be caused by things other than video games.then why will be the syndrome be curbed.
Curbed means stopped.
To undermine D , what if the adolscents are able to borrow the games from some of the older persons.

I am agree with you mundasingh123 , the answer should be "C" instead of "D''
First of all, it is asked to find the supposition between evidence and conclusion and if D were the supposition then why would the legislature ban the video games. Parents themselves be able to reduce the carpel tunnel syndrome.

Secondly, since it used in the stimulus "video games to minors would help curb this painful..." in the last line of the stimulus, we can take it as legislation can completely tackle this problem with taking such step. Therefore i believe that the given evidence completely supports the supposition given in option "C", which leads to the given conclusion.

Hence, My answer is "C"

Check this link

http://www.rupeemail.com/rupeemail/invite.do?in=NzYxOTkxJSMlRzF0NGJKQnllT1kzVmRmbTVBb2tLZ1Q4RA==

http://www.rupeemail.com/rupeemail/pages/rupeemail/images/joinImage.gif

Last edited by vyassaptarashi on 09 Dec 2010, 12:04, edited 1 time in total.
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 103

Kudos [?]: 229 [1] , given: 20

Re: Carpal tunnel [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2010, 12:03
This post received
KUDOS
Great question - thanks for posting this one (and for the invitation to chime in!).

This is a terrific example of two crucial strategies for Assumption questions:

1) You have to identify the exact conclusion of any CR strengthen/weaken/assumption question

2) The assumption is something that is necessary to the argument; not merely something that would strengthen it

Here, the conclusion is that "prohibiting the sale of video games to minors would help curb carpal tunnel syndrome among adolescents. That's entirely different than something that would eliminate it.

The problem with choice C as it pertains to this conclusion is that the conclusion doesn't require video games to be the only or even a primary reason that kids develop this problem. Even if only 5% of carpal tunnel cases were related to video games, eliminating video games would still "help curb" the problem, however slightly. We don't need for video games to be the only reason that kids get this problem...we just need it to be one reason.

Now, with D, we need that to be the case - prohibiting "the sale of games to minors" doesn't necessarily mean that minors won't still play the games. In order to curb the problem we need to stop kids from playing the games, not simply from buying the games. If D were untrue - if it were the opposite - then we could say that parents will just buy these games for their kids anyway, so the kids won't stop playing the games. Therefore, we need D to be true - it's required by the argument otherwise the conclusion (that this law will help reduce the problem) isn't supported at all.

Brian

Save $100 on live Veritas Prep GMAT Courses and Admissions Consulting

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Re: Carpal tunnel   [#permalink] 09 Dec 2010, 12:03