Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Dec 2014, 20:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Source: KAPLAN. (but beware many questions are simply copy

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 6

Source: KAPLAN. (but beware many questions are simply copy [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2011, 01:16
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

40% (01:21) correct 60% (00:46) wrong based on 15 sessions
Source: KAPLAN. (but beware many questions are simply copy of OG and i do not know whether they copied from somewhere else as well. I saw this one first on KAPLAN)

Because country music plays on more radio stations there and is thus better able to capitalize on its fan base, a country music concert featuring a recognizable country group typically attracts a crowd much larger in the southern United States than it does in the Northeast.

a. featuring a recognizable country group typically attracts a crowd much larger in the southern United States than it does in
b. featuring a recognizable country group will typically attract a much larger crowd if it occurs in the southern United States instead of
c. will typically attract a crowd much larger in the southern United States than one featuring a recognizable country group in
d. that is performed in the southern United States will typically attract much larger a crowd than if it occurred featuring the same country group in
e. in the southern United States will typically attract a much larger crowd than will a concert featuring the same country group performed in

[Reveal] Spoiler:
This is a rather convoluted sentence that makes a basic comparison between the size of a country music concert crowd in the South and one in the Northeast. The comparison must be logically and grammatically parallel. Only (E) meets this challenge, with the parallel construction will...will . The use of the underlined it in (A), (B) and (D) implies that the same concert performance could take place in two different places at the same time. Also, since there refers to the southern United States , we should move the latter phrase as close as possible to the former.

Answer (B) also eliminates in (instead of in the Northeast ), thus losing parallel structure. (C), as in (A), uses the awkward a crowd much larger , and keeps the southern United States too far away from there . In (D), the parallel structure is not maintained. The phrase much larger a crowd is even more awkward.

I doubt.. the answer. The first part of the sentence which gives the reasoning is in present tense. Logically, the conclusion should be drawn within the same time frame. hence.. the underlined part should be in simple present.

"it" i think is right.. since.. the subject( which is a random country concert featuring recognizable band) is a general one and can be used.

Need your opinion.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 71

Kudos [?]: 192 [0], given: 2

Re: Debatable KAPLAN question. [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2011, 16:32
Expert's post
myside88 wrote:

I doubt.. the answer. The first part of the sentence which gives the reasoning is in present tense. Logically, the conclusion should be drawn within the same time frame. hence.. the underlined part should be in simple present.

"it" i think is right.. since.. the subject( which is a random country concert featuring recognizable band) is a general one and can be used.

Need your opinion.
Hi myside,

Sorry our explanation wasn't able to demystify the tricky question for you. I'll call this to our test teams attention, and we'll see if it needs revision. However, our answer is definitely correct.

The 'will' is fine here because we are making predictions for the future. You're right that changing tenses can be a GMAT warning sign, but in this case it's perfectly logical. Consider "Because I am studying for the GMAT, I will do well." The premise and conclusion do not necessarily have to be in the same time frame.

As for the 'it', using a pronoun refers to the noun earlier in the sentence--in this case, as you said, 'concert.' However, if we use 'it' we're referring to the SAME concert! The 'it' in choice A seems to imply that the same one will move from the north to the south, or exist simultaneously in both locations, attracting different crowds in different places. This isn't logical! Indeed, we must compare two different concerts, since a concert is a one-time, one-location event. Thus, (E) is the best choice.

Let me know if I can answer any other questions about this or other problems, and best of luck preparing!

Eli Meyer
Kaplan Teacher
http://www.kaptest.com/GMAT

Prepare with Kaplan and save $150 on a course!

Kaplan Reviews

Last edited by KapTeacherEli on 15 Jan 2011, 21:09, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 6

Re: Debatable KAPLAN question. [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2011, 19:45
Thanks Eli.

But I got a doubt-:

Can we draw an inference-: that in reasoning questions like this- (Because X, Y)

if X is in present tense and then y will be in future tense.
(similar on lines of if...then construction)

:) :) :)
myside88
Re: Debatable KAPLAN question.   [#permalink] 15 Jan 2011, 19:45