Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 10:48

Flash Sale:

The Economist GMAT Tutor - 15% Off All Courses

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Source: Knewton. With no policy restricting the number of

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Fuqua '14 (M)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 54

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Source: Knewton. With no policy restricting the number of [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2010, 13:15
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

35% (02:22) correct 65% (00:59) wrong based on 26 sessions
Source: Knewton.

With no policy restricting the number of children a family can have and nursing homes that care for the elderly, Census Bureau officials estimate the United States' population to have grown by 150 million people over the last sixty years.

(A) With no policy restricting the number of children a family can have and nursing homes that provide care for the elderly, Census Bureau officials estimate the United States' population to have
(B) With no policy restricting the number of children a family can have and with nursing homes that provide care for the elderly, Census Bureau officials’ estimate of the population in the United States has
(C) With no policy restricting the number of children a family can have and with nursing homes where the elderly are provided with care, the United States' population, Census Bureau officials estimate, has
(D) Without a policy restricting the number of children a family can have and the elderly provided with care in nursing homes, the United States has a population that Census Bureau officials estimate to have
(E) Without a policy restricting the number of children a family can have and with nursing homes where the elderly are provided with care, Census Bureau officials estimate that the United States' population has

Updated with OA. Explanation in a post below.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

I appreciate the kudos if you find this post helpful! +1

Last edited by martie11 on 02 Dec 2010, 06:18, edited 2 times in total.
Knewton GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.77
WE: Corporate Finance (Other)
Followers: 152

Kudos [?]: 500 [0], given: 527

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Tough Parallel Clauses - SC [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2010, 23:56
With no policy restricting the number of children a family can have and nursing homes that care for the elderly, Census Bureau officials estimate the United States' population to have grown by 150 million people over the last sixty years.

(A) With no policy restricting the number of children a family can have and nursing homes that provide care for the elderly, Census Bureau officials estimate the United States' population to have - must be has , the population has grown
(B) With no policy restricting the number of children a family can have and with nursing homes that provide care for the elderly, Census Bureau officials’ estimate of the population in the United States has - wrong modifier starting with no policy , modifies estimate of Census Bureau officials, so estimate does not have policies.
(C) With no policy restricting the number of children a family can have and with nursing homes where the elderly are provided with care, the United States' population, Census Bureau officials estimate, has -wrong modifier starting with no policy , modifies population of the United States, so population does not have policies.
(D) Without a policy restricting the number of children a family can have and the elderly provided with care in nursing homes, the United States has a population that Census Bureau officials estimate to have - must be has , the population has grown
(E) Without a policy restricting the number of children a family can have and with nursing homes where the elderly are provided with care, Census Bureau officials estimate that the United States' population has - correct Census Bureau officials are without a policy, and "population has grown"

Follow me, if you find my explanations useful.

Audaces fortuna juvat!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.77
WE: Corporate Finance (Other)
Followers: 152

Kudos [?]: 500 [0], given: 527

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Tough Parallel Clauses - SC [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2010, 00:04
vigneshpandi wrote:
IMO E...
Whats the OA?

why E? :) prove it !

Follow me, if you find my explanations useful.

Audaces fortuna juvat!

Ms. Big Fat Panda
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Followers: 335

Kudos [?]: 1361 [0], given: 194

Re: Tough Parallel Clauses - SC [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2010, 00:36
There seems to be a conflict of meaning. You might want to ask yourself:

1. If the sentence is saying there's no restriction on (number of children) + (nursing homes providing care)

OR

2. If the sentence is saying no restriction on babies + there are nursing homes that provide care.

If we are to go with the second meaning, then the answer is E. But I'm still undecided. OA?
Expert Post
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 260

Kudos [?]: 1518 [0], given: 247

Re: Tough Parallel Clauses - SC [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2010, 02:28
Expert's post
As per norms of modification, the United States is supposed to have no restriction on the number of children and also the nursing homes that nurse the elderly. Any other noun such as Census Bureau officials in A and E, the Census Bureau officials’ estimate in B, the United States' population in C are all wrong. The obvious answer is D. Compared to this significant point, others turn trivial. If D is the answer then it must be that the officials estimate the population “to have grown” also is acceptable over its alternative - “population has grown”.

But between ‘has grown’ and ‘to have grown’, - has grown is categorical and hence does not have the essence of approximation that is inherent in estimation. On the contrary ‘to have grown’ has some uncertainty built around it and can therefore be the right accompaniment for the verb ‘estimate’. But before that modification is important.

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 20

Re: Tough Parallel Clauses - SC [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2010, 02:38
Think it should be D. The others seem to have modifier problems. Only d has "united states" right after the comma, relating back to "without a policy restricting+elderly provided..."

Posted from my mobile device Image
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 34 [1] , given: 54

Re: Tough Parallel Clauses - SC [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2010, 06:16
This post received
KUDOS
Hi all...thanks for your participation...this is great to see!

The correct answer is C.

Looks like all of you were fooled...unless OA is incorrect? Here is the Knewton explanation:
Attachments

Screen shot 2010-12-02 at 9.19.14 AM.png
Screen shot 2010-12-02 at 9.19.14 AM.png [ 88.48 KiB | Viewed 1083 times ]

Expert Post
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 260

Kudos [?]: 1518 [0], given: 247

Re: Tough Parallel Clauses - SC [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2010, 08:44
Expert's post
i thought a population has people. Now I understand it has policies too. Great going.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 54

Re: Tough Parallel Clauses - SC [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2010, 08:56
daagh wrote:
i thought a population has people. No I understand it also policies too. Great going.

Nice to finally find one that you found challenging :wink:

Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: Insead '13 (M)
GMAT 1: 680 Q46 V37
GMAT 2: Q V
Followers: 25

Kudos [?]: 690 [0], given: 48

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Tough Parallel Clauses - SC [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2011, 03:51
'nusring homes that provide' .. wait, nursing homes can't provide care. this can't be correct.

'with no policy' is a better expression than 'without a policy'. moreover, AND indicates parallelism, so both sides should be structurally and logically parallel.

'with no policy ... AND with nursing homes' .. are both logically parallel.

press +1 Kudos to appreciate posts
Download Valuable Collection of Percentage Questions (PS/DS)

Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 10-21-2011
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 15

GMAT Tests User
Re: Tough Parallel Clauses - SC [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2011, 23:34
Quote:

(A) With no policy restricting the number of children a family can have and nursing homes that provide care for the elderly, Census Bureau officials estimate the United States' population to have
(B) With no policy restricting the number of children a family can have and with nursing homes that provide care for the elderly, Census Bureau officials’ estimate of the population in the United States has
(C) With no policy restricting the number of children a family can have and with nursing homes where the elderly are provided with care, the United States' population, Census Bureau officials estimate, has
(D) Without a policy restricting the number of children a family can have and the elderly provided with care in nursing homes, the United States has a population that Census Bureau officials estimate to have
(E) Without a policy restricting the number of children a family can have and with nursing homes where the elderly are provided with care, Census Bureau officials estimate that the United States' population has

went with E, initially. :oops:
further close reading uncovers the following:-

2 ways to deal with:

* 'population...have' - wrong. Should be 'population...has' - eliminates A and D
* Parallelism: "with [something] and with [something else]" - eliminates E
* Modifier - 'With no policy...' should modify 'United States' population and not modify Census Bureau. ---> So we take C over B.

* Modifier - who is the modifier (front portion) pertaining to? United States population or Census Bureau? ---> United States population. So, eliminates A, B and E, leaving us C and D.
* Parallelism - it should be 'With [something] and with [something else]' ---> we eliminate D, thus arriving at answer C.

"The best day of your life is the one on which you decide your life is your own. No apologies or excuses. No one to lean on, rely on, or blame. The gift is yours - it is an amazing journey - and you alone are responsible for the quality of it. This is the day your life really begins." - Bob Moawab

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 15

GMAT Tests User
Re: Tough Parallel Clauses - SC [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2011, 00:06
I also think its E. OA is not clear enough
Re: Tough Parallel Clauses - SC   [#permalink] 02 Sep 2011, 00:06