Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Apr 2014, 07:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Southern California MBA help

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Online versus Part-time MBA

• 0% [0]
  • 100% [7]
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Southern California MBA help [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2013, 23:58
Hello All,
I have been stalking the message boards for awhile and finally decided to bite the bullet to register to hopefully get some help with my situation.
Stats:
GPA: 2.9
GMAT: 660 (47Q/34V)
WE: 7 years at financial services firm and promoted several times within that timeframe to (as the name indicates) VP level with over 50 people reporting under me.

The low GPA was due to have a child my junior year while working 30+ hours a week to support the family. Due to the established family, I am looking at MBA programs mostly in southern California or online as uprooting the family for 2 years isn’t reasonable (at least that is what the wife says). Here are my questions:

1) Should I consider the online MBA programs from UNC (UNC@MBA), IU (Kelly), or WP Carey versus a local part-time program. I had a call with UNC today and it was “meh”.
2) Any thoughts on the part time programs from USC, UCLA, SDSU, or UCSD?
3) Given that my salary is higher than the average starting salary from any of those schools, should I go with the cheapest option (SDSU) just to get the MBA on my resume?
4) While counter intuitive, would any of these schools be inclined to give financial aid knowing that I already have a good job and would improve their post-graduation employment and salary numbers?
5) If hoping to get financial aid, should I try to improve my GMAT?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Southern California MBA help [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2013, 12:02
It's helpful sometimes to step back and ask yourself where you'd like to end up? (i.e. where you want to work, settle down, etc).

I can tell you that here in New York, USC and UCLA will trump SDSU. I'd stick with physical (non online) programs if possible.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Healthcare
GMAT Date: 08-12-2013
GPA: 3.7
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Southern California MBA help [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2013, 18:16
UCLA and USC carry much more weight than the other schools, ucsd offers a great program but they are so new that their ranking doesn't reflect their "greatness" which is unfortunate. uci offers a great program as well and they usually give fellowships for their full time students so if money is a factor you may consider that but if we're talking pure program vs program UCLA and USC are the best in the area
Current Student
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 304 [0], given: 163

Premium Member
Re: Southern California MBA help [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2013, 12:29
VPneedsMBA wrote:
3) Given that my salary is higher than the average starting salary from any of those schools, should I go with the cheapest option (SDSU) just to get the MBA on my resume?

It sounds like you're going for ROI. If that's the case, do you even need an MBA? Also, if your salary is already pretty good, I don't see an SDSU MBA helping you out. The MBA market is pretty saturated - it's the quality of the program that matters, not just getting those 3 letters on your resume.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fWvub_WBho

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 1

Re: Southern California MBA help [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2014, 00:08
VPneedsMBA wrote:
Hello All,
I have been stalking the message boards for awhile and finally decided to bite the bullet to register to hopefully get some help with my situation.
Stats:
GPA: 2.9
GMAT: 660 (47Q/34V)
WE: 7 years at financial services firm and promoted several times within that timeframe to (as the name indicates) VP level with over 50 people reporting under me.

The low GPA was due to have a child my junior year while working 30+ hours a week to support the family. Due to the established family, I am looking at MBA programs mostly in southern California or online as uprooting the family for 2 years isn’t reasonable (at least that is what the wife says). Here are my questions:

1) Should I consider the online MBA programs from UNC (UNC@MBA), IU (Kelly), or WP Carey versus a local part-time program. I had a call with UNC today and it was “meh”.
2) Any thoughts on the part time programs from USC, UCLA, SDSU, or UCSD?
4) While counter intuitive, would any of these schools be inclined to give financial aid knowing that I already have a good job and would improve their post-graduation employment and salary numbers?
5) If hoping to get financial aid, should I try to improve my GMAT?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

With the kind of work experience you have, it should cover up for your low GPA and GMAT score for your target schools. Taking a part-time program or an online MBA program depends on which way you are comfortable in pursuing an MBA. A part-time program will definitely last for a longer time. Selection of a school again depends on the what you are looking to achieve with an MBA. If you're looking to learn some particular thing during your MBA, search for programs which offer what you want to learn. Getting a financial aid would be difficult for you because of your salary and your GMAT score, but even with a better GMAT score, getting a Financial aid would be a problem for you.

Good Luck!
www.interviewbay.com
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.49

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 22

Re: Southern California MBA help [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2014, 17:46
As simple as it is, why do you need an MBA?
I guess the answer to your question completely revolves around that.
Re: Southern California MBA help   [#permalink] 03 Feb 2014, 17:46