Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 11:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Spamming schools?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Current Student
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Spamming schools? [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2008, 08:18
My troubles started when (I think) I forgot to keep my personal info private when I took the GMAT. Since then, I received probably 10-20 emails a week from several schools, but the most...persistent ones are definitely Darden, Vanderbilt, and Notre Dame (embarrassingly, my alma mater seems to be the worst offender).

Anyway, these emails have transformed over the past few months from saying, "We hope you take a closer look at our school," to, "We appreciate your interest in our school." Never once have I responded to any one of these messages. :x

I guess I'm flattered, but a part of me has difficulty in coming out and just saying "no" to them. I especially have a hard time telling ND to leave me alone...I attended undergrad and the Master's of Acct there, and they were both phenomenal experiences. I'd feel terrible telling them I'm not interested. Kinda like telling a girlfriend that it's not her, it's you.

Apologies for the lack of actual content in this post. Anyone else in the same boat?
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
SVP
SVP
Schools: NYU Stern '11
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 205 [0], given: 22

Re: Spamming schools? [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2008, 08:22
Lucky you! I specifically signed up for GMASS when taking the GMAT so I could be spammed by schools and feed my ego a wee bit :D

So far, I've only heard from ONE school - Thunderbird. And I didn't too bad on the GMAT either. :|

Irishfan wrote:
My troubles started when (I think) I forgot to keep my personal info private when I took the GMAT. Since then, I received probably 10-20 emails a week from several schools, but the most...persistent ones are definitely Darden, Vanderbilt, and Notre Dame (embarrassingly, my alma mater seems to be the worst offender).

Anyway, these emails have transformed over the past few months from saying, "We hope you take a closer look at our school," to, "We appreciate your interest in our school." Never once have I responded to any one of these messages. :x

I guess I'm flattered, but a part of me has difficulty in coming out and just saying "no" to them. I especially have a hard time telling ND to leave me alone...I attended undergrad and the Master's of Acct there, and they were both phenomenal experiences. I'd feel terrible telling them I'm not interested. Kinda like telling a girlfriend that it's not her, it's you.

Apologies for the lack of actual content in this post. Anyone else in the same boat?
Current Student
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 0

Re: Spamming schools? [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2008, 08:26
I think the situation you are describing is like this:

You are a stud high school quarterback who is getting solicited by a whole bunch of girls for the prom. But you have your pick of the best of the best at the school as you are the QB afterall. So as you ignore the rest of the girls, they will eventually give up on you and move on. If you get to go to the prom witht he girl of your choice, then great, dont worry about what the other girls think. If not, you could always go back to the 'mass' of girls and pick one up at a later point. If you are not interested in them at all- just put up a sign (or remove yourself from the list through the mba.com website) :)
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

Re: Spamming schools? [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2008, 08:39
Ya, ND sends me stuff on a seemingly daily basis.
VP
VP
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 118 [0], given: 0

Reviews Badge
Re: Spamming schools? [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2008, 09:15
Brian Lohr's name is permanently engraved in my brain now...
Director
Director

Re: Spamming schools? [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2008, 09:25
nervousgmat wrote:
Brian Lohr's name is permanently engraved in my brain now...

Yeah... it's bordering on for profit schools like UOP, DeVry....
Current Student

Re: Spamming schools? [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2008, 09:27
I'm a little tempted to write him a quick email about it. I thought I might be a unique case, since I have a history there...but apparently it's everyone. Yikes.

Reminds me of that Family Guy where Stewie is getting a gym membership...
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: Spamming schools? [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2008, 09:30
What annoys me is that some of these schools do not have unsubscribe mechanisms. If you are a business school, you should follow standard business practices which requires unsubscribe capabilities. Thankfully, these aberrations come from the lesser schools.
Director
Director

Re: Spamming schools? [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2008, 09:32
I wouldn't say lesser schools.

But these come from schools with aggresive marketing strategies.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Kellogg (R2), UCLA (R2)

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

Re: Spamming schools? [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2008, 10:26
I like your analogy Dosa :lol:

Same here. Got lot of emails from schools . I changed my target application date on GMAC website and spam has stopped now except for ND and Vanderbilt. One interesting offer I got from Simon Business School was waiving of application fee if I choose to apply. It sure made me feel good :) but how does one respond to that. Is a simple thank you but I'm not planning to start my MBA in 08 will do. Its been more than a month since I received the offer so is it to late for reply?
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 0

Re: Spamming schools? [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2008, 10:28
My Spammers are Penn State, UNC Flagler, Ross, and someone else I forget. I think I just checked every single box possible when I took the GMAT - I was in such a rush to get my score that I didn't really pay attention to what I was agreeing to! Still, it's nice to be wanted. :lol:

...there ain't no such thing as a free lunch...

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 78

Kudos [?]: 701 [0], given: 5

Re: Spamming schools? [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2008, 10:34
I have spent the last month unsubscribing to everyone of these that seem to come in...Yes ND is by far the worst. Heck I got the same booklet in the mail from them 5 times so it shouldnt be a surprise.

I got so fed up with ND sending stuff but not having an unsubscribe feature I responded with a request to be removed stating I had no interest in ND. I probably was a little rude but its so annoying getting two emails a week from them.

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.
Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

2 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 12 [2] , given: 0

Re: Spamming schools? [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2008, 11:20
This post received
KUDOS
I guess now's as good of a time as any to show off my new avatar...

:-D
Director
Director

Re: Spamming schools? [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2008, 11:22
:lol:
SVP
SVP
Schools: NYU Stern '11
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 205 [0], given: 22

Re: Spamming schools? [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2008, 11:46
That's hilarious Irishfan, +1 for creativity!

Irishfan wrote:
I guess now's as good of a time as any to show off my new avatar...

:-D
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: Spamming schools? [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2008, 11:59
gmatclb wrote:
I wouldn't say lesser schools.

But these come from schools with aggresive marketing strategies.

I'm saying the lesser schools are the ones that don't have unsubscribe functionality. It has nothing to do with aggression. Its actually illegal NOT to have an unsubscribe function...which anyone in marketing should know.

I'm assuming most bschools have marketing tracks.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Re: Spamming schools? [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2008, 12:01
Irishfan, were you admitted to GSB?

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.

Current Student

Re: Spamming schools? [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2008, 12:08
Yes...applied R1. Didn't even find GMATClub until a few weeks ago. Wish I had found it a lot sooner!

(Note to self - only reply on odd-numbered posts to keep avatar matching the background :o )
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Re: Spamming schools? [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2008, 12:11
Irishfan wrote:
Yes...applied R1. Didn't even find GMATClub until a few weeks ago. Wish I had found it a lot sooner!

(Note to self - only reply on odd-numbered posts to keep avatar matching the background :o )

Congrats on that, I will add you to our roll call list. If you dont have a profile, create one when you have some free-time. That way people wont have to bug you about what it is.

Current Student

Re: Spamming schools? [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2008, 12:27
Done...although, are you talking about a different place to post my profile, other than in the control panel? Because I don't believe there's any space in the CP functions to talk about schools.
Re: Spamming schools?   [#permalink] 16 Jan 2008, 12:27