Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 04:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Spanning more than fifty years, Friedrich Muller began his

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Expert Post
MBA Section Director
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 689

Kudos [?]: 3028 [0], given: 890

Spanning more than fifty years, Friedrich Muller began his [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2012, 23:04
Expert's post
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

70% (01:36) correct 30% (00:39) wrong based on 128 sessions
Spanning more than fifty years, Friedrich Muller began his career in an unpromising apprenticeship as a Sanskrit scholar and culminated in virtually every honor that European governments and learned societies could bestow.

(A) Muller began his career in an unpromising apprenticeship as
(B) Muller’s career began in an unpromising apprenticeship as
(C) Muller’s career began with the unpromising apprenticeship of being
(D) Muller had begun his career with the unpromising apprenticeship of being
(E) the career of Muller has begun with an unpromising apprenticeship of
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Expert Post
MBA Section Director

Re: Spanning more than fifty years, Friedrich Muller began hi [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2012, 23:15
Expert's post
Concept tested: Modifiers, Meaning, Verb Tenses
Difficulty: 650
Illustration: Participial phrases, acting as opening modifiers, must be followed by the noun they modify. This mistake is committed in A and D.
In C, “being” is used as an awkward modifier which is never correct in the GMAT (however other uses of “being” is permissible).
E makes an error of verb tenses which is illustrated in the tip below.
B is the correct answer.

Tip. When perfect tenses are used, it is better to visualize a tense timeline. We know that the past perfect must have happened sometime before the simple past (which must be present in the sentence) and present perfect must have started before the simple present.
In E, the timeline suggests:
Mullers career is still going on (present perfect always signifies an action which started in the past but continues in the present with respect to a present tense in the same sentence), but rather than a simple present tense, the sentence uses a simple past tense “culminated” which breaks the timeline.
Hence E is incorrect.

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Manager
Manager
WE 1: Oil and Gas - Engineering & Construction
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 48

Re: Spanning more than fifty years, Friedrich Muller began hi [#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2012, 00:16
souvik101990 wrote:
Spanning more than fifty years, Friedrich Muller began his career in an unpromising apprenticeship as a Sanskrit scholar and culminated in virtually every honor that European governments and learned societies could bestow.

Points to note -

(1) Spanning more than fifty years - Present participle modifies not Muller himself, but his career.
(2) Non underlined part has Coordinating conjunction "AND" followed by "Culminated in" so the Parallelism in these two verbs has to be maintained.

Hence
[Reveal] Spoiler:
B

Giving Kudos, is a great Way to Help the GC Community Kudos

3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
WE: Account Management (Other)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 14 [3] , given: 34

Re: Spanning more than fifty years, Friedrich Muller began hi [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2012, 01:55
This post received
KUDOS
A – Muller began X and cumulated in Y is parallel but not logical. I think it would be better to say Muller’s career began X and cumulated Y.
B – correct.
C – To say his career began with the unpromising appreticeship implies that this was an event, rather than an activity.
D – begun is the wrong verb form. Should be began.
E – ...has begun... is the wrong tense. His career ‘cumulated’ and therefore this event happened in the past and after his career began. Eliminate

In the study cave!

Expert Post
Followers: 310

Kudos [?]: 2605 [0], given: 696

Re: Spanning more than fifty years, Friedrich Muller began his [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2012, 10:59
Expert's post
souvik101990 wrote:

here is my OE

when I attack the problem thi first thing is to try to understand what going on, the meaning of the sentence, what the sentence are trying to comunicate to me. for me is the best way to tackle SC because is true that if you rely on meaning even if you do not understand completely the grammar in use CAN spot the right answer. Vice versa is NOT true.

here we can say to ourself: " what spanning ?? Muller or career ?? of course career. based on this we can analyze the question

1) is wrong based on the meaning that creee began NOT Muller

2) Seems good and also have the right idiom "apprenticeship as " hold

3) with instead of IN (notice in in the answer B) doensn't make sense at all and apprenticeship of being is wrong and ackward

4) had began indicate that start in a previous time frame but here we need the simple past AND apprenticeship of being

5) the career of Muller has begun with in sequence : wordy, wrong verb and wrong with...........

B is the answer

I hope is useful this explanation ;)

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS
Quant: 1. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 2. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 3. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version
Verbal:1. Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section 2. e-GMAT's ALL CR topics-Consolidated 3. New Critical Reasoning question bank by carcass 4. Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik 5. e-GMAT's ALL SC topics-Consolidated-2nd Edition 6. The best reading to improve Reading Comprehension 7.Verbal question bank and Directories

Expert Post
MBA Section Director

Re: Spanning more than fifty years, Friedrich Muller began his [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2012, 23:44
Expert's post
Concept tested: Modifiers, Meaning, Verb Tenses
Difficulty: 650
Illustration: Participial phrases, acting as opening modifiers, must be followed by the noun they modify. This mistake is committed in A and D.
In C, “being” is used as an awkward modifier which is never correct in the GMAT (however other uses of “being” is permissible).
E makes an error of verb tenses which is illustrated in the tip below.
B is the correct answer.

Tip. When perfect tenses are used, it is better to visualize a tense timeline. We know that the past perfect must have happened sometime before the simple past (which must be present in the sentence) and present perfect must have started before the simple present.
In E, the timeline suggests:
Mullers career is still going on (present perfect always signifies an action which started in the past but continues in the present with respect to a present tense in the same sentence), but rather than a simple present tense, the sentence uses a simple past tense “culminated” which breaks the timeline.
Hence E is incorrect.

My GMAT Resources

My MBA Resources

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Re: Spanning more than fifty years, Friedrich Muller began his   [#permalink] 09 Oct 2012, 23:44