Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 13:12 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 13:12

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51450 [127]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51450 [29]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 162 [13]
Given Kudos: 48
Concentration: MBA - Strategy, Operations & General Management
 Q44  V28 GMAT 2: 650  Q49  V29 GMAT 3: 650  Q47  V33
WE 1: Oil and Gas - Engineering & Construction
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 274 [6]
Given Kudos: 34
WE:Account Management (Other)
Send PM
Re: Spanning more than fifty years, Friedrich Muller began his career in [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
A – Muller began X and cumulated in Y is parallel but not logical. I think it would be better to say Muller’s career began X and cumulated Y.
B – correct.
C – To say his career began with the unpromising appreticeship implies that this was an event, rather than an activity.
D – begun is the wrong verb form. Should be began.
E – ...has begun... is the wrong tense. His career ‘cumulated’ and therefore this event happened in the past and after his career began. Eliminate
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32878 [1]
Given Kudos: 4455
Send PM
Re: Spanning more than fifty years, Friedrich Muller began his career in [#permalink]
Bookmarks
souvik101990 wrote:
Spanning more than fifty years, Friedrich Muller began his career in an unpromising apprenticeship as a Sanskrit scholar and culminated in virtually every honor that European governments and learned societies could bestow.

(A) Muller began his career in an unpromising apprenticeship as
(B) Muller’s career began in an unpromising apprenticeship as
(C) Muller’s career began with the unpromising apprenticeship of being
(D) Muller had begun his career with the unpromising apprenticeship of being
(E) the career of Muller has begun with an unpromising apprenticeship of

here is my OE

when I attack the problem thi first thing is to try to understand what going on, the meaning of the sentence, what the sentence are trying to comunicate to me. for me is the best way to tackle SC because is true that if you rely on meaning even if you do not understand completely the grammar in use CAN spot the right answer. Vice versa is NOT true.

here we can say to ourself: " what spanning ?? Muller or career ?? of course career. based on this we can analyze the question

1) is wrong based on the meaning that creee began NOT Muller

2) Seems good and also have the right idiom "apprenticeship as " hold

3) with instead of IN (notice in in the answer B) doensn't make sense at all and apprenticeship of being is wrong and ackward

4) had began indicate that start in a previous time frame but here we need the simple past AND apprenticeship of being

5) the career of Muller has begun with in sequence : wordy, wrong verb and wrong with...........

B is the answer

I hope is useful this explanation ;)
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51450 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Concept tested: Modifiers, Meaning, Verb Tenses
Difficulty: 650
Illustration: Participial phrases, acting as opening modifiers, must be followed by the noun they modify. This mistake is committed in A and D.
In C, “being” is used as an awkward modifier which is never correct in the GMAT (however other uses of “being” is permissible).
E makes an error of verb tenses which is illustrated in the tip below.
B is the correct answer.

Tip. When perfect tenses are used, it is better to visualize a tense timeline. We know that the past perfect must have happened sometime before the simple past (which must be present in the sentence) and present perfect must have started before the simple present.
In E, the timeline suggests:
Mullers career is still going on (present perfect always signifies an action which started in the past but continues in the present with respect to a present tense in the same sentence), but rather than a simple present tense, the sentence uses a simple past tense “culminated” which breaks the timeline.
Hence E is incorrect.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 523 [0]
Given Kudos: 916
Send PM
in B , the oa,

I do not understand

apprenticeship as a scholar

"apprenticeship" is a job. why it can be "as " a person

pls explain
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28572 [3]
Given Kudos: 130
Kudos
Expert Reply
thangvietnam wrote:
in B , the OA,
I do not understand apprenticeship as a scholar ---"apprenticeship" is a job. why it can be "as " a person
pls explain

Dear thangvietnam,

"Apprenticeship" means the training period for any career --- many times, it is used literally for various artisan crafts (e.g. carpentry, metalwork, bricklayer, etc.) ---- jobs that had official apprentice systems. It can be used, somewhat metaphorically, for the beginning of any type of professional career.

The idiom "apprenticeship as a Sanskrit scholar" is correct. The term "Sanskrit scholar" doesn't merely describe a human being --- it describes human being with a particular job, a particular professional role. The correct idiom is "apprenticeship as a [job role]" ----
apprenticeship as a plumber
apprenticeship as a race car driver
apprenticeship as a human rights lawyer

Does this make sense?
Mike :-)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 523 [0]
Given Kudos: 916
Send PM
Thank you Magoosh expert.

apprenticeship as a driver
apprentice to a driver

are correct

we do not have
apprentice as a driver

is that right.
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28572 [4]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
thangvietnam wrote:
apprentice to a driver

are correct

Dear thangvietnam,
It's true that both "apprenticeship as" and "apprenticeship to" are correct, with slightly different connotations. Using either with the noun "driver" sound very peculiar. Once a person learns to drive on his/her own, there's not much else to learn in order to be a professional driver. One may have to study and take an additional DMV test, but there isn't really any such thing as being an apprentice in some kind of professional driver.

Apprentices are most typical in artisan & craft professions --- a wood-worker, a cabinet maker, an iron-worker, stone mason, an inscription carver, a carpenter, a roofer, a shoe repairman, a tailor, etc. ---- high-skill blue collar jobs. They are not typical in either highly professional white collar jobs (doctor, lawyer, professor, etc.) nor in purely manual jobs (ditch digger, street cleaner, etc.) Even being a professional driver, while requiring moderately more skill than a ditch digger, is not really a "high skill" blue collar job.

If I say "I work as an apprentice as a cabinet maker" --- this has the connotation that, yes, I can call myself a cabinet-maker, but I am very new to the job and still working under the instruction & guidance of someone more experienced. This idiom would be more appropriate for an apprentice toward the end of his apprenticeship, about to "graduate" and become a full artisan on his own.

If I say "I work as an apprentice to a cabinet maker" --- this has the connotation that, I am really just a beginning and have no right even to call myself a "cabinet maker" at this time. I work as an aide to a genuine cabinet maker, and presumably it is my intention to learn the trade so that, one fine day in the future, I would be able to call myself a "cabinet maker." This idiom would be more appropriate for an apprentice toward the beginning of his apprenticeship, still a rank beginner and basically just a glorified servant to the master craftsman.

Does this distinction make sense?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 440 [0]
Given Kudos: 166
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 600 Q48 V25
GMAT 2: 660 Q50 V29
GMAT 3: 690 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.2
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
mikemcgarry wrote:
thangvietnam wrote:
apprentice to a driver

are correct

Dear thangvietnam,
It's true that both "apprenticeship as" and "apprenticeship to" are correct, with slightly different connotations. Using either with the noun "driver" sound very peculiar. Once a person learns to drive on his/her own, there's not much else to learn in order to be a professional driver. One may have to study and take an additional DMV test, but there isn't really any such thing as being an apprentice in some kind of professional driver.

Apprentices are most typical in artisan & craft professions --- a wood-worker, a cabinet maker, an iron-worker, stone mason, an inscription carver, a carpenter, a roofer, a shoe repairman, a tailor, etc. ---- high-skill blue collar jobs. They are not typical in either highly professional white collar jobs (doctor, lawyer, professor, etc.) nor in purely manual jobs (ditch digger, street cleaner, etc.) Even being a professional driver, while requiring moderately more skill than a ditch digger, is not really a "high skill" blue collar job.

If I say "I work as an apprentice as a cabinet maker" --- this has the connotation that, yes, I can call myself a cabinet-maker, but I am very new to the job and still working under the instruction & guidance of someone more experienced. This idiom would be more appropriate for an apprentice toward the end of his apprenticeship, about to "graduate" and become a full artisan on his own.

If I say "I work as an apprentice to a cabinet maker" --- this has the connotation that, I am really just a beginning and have no right even to call myself a "cabinet maker" at this time. I work as an aide to a genuine cabinet maker, and presumably it is my intention to learn the trade so that, one fine day in the future, I would be able to call myself a "cabinet maker." This idiom would be more appropriate for an apprentice toward the beginning of his apprenticeship, still a rank beginner and basically just a glorified servant to the master craftsman.

Does this distinction make sense?

Could you explain what is exactly the issue with (C):

"Muller’s career began with the unpromising apprenticeship of being "

is " began with" is the issue as well ?

can't we say "apprenticeship of" ?

Thanks
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28572 [3]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Practicegmat wrote:
Could you explain what is exactly the issue with (C):
"Muller’s career began with the unpromising apprenticeship of being "
is " began with" is the issue as well? can't we say "apprenticeship of" ?
Thanks

Dear Practicegmat

The idiom "to begin with" is 100% correct, perfectly fine. The problem with (C) is ----- there is no idiom "apprenticeship of", and in particular, the phrasing "apprenticeship of being X" is totally wrong, an incorrect way to say "apprenticeship as X."

Does this make sense?

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 63 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Hi,
Btween B & C I actually got confused by the phrase "began in"(in B) & began with (in C). Isnt "began with" correct idiomatically. "began in" doesnt sound right.
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28572 [1]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Nilabh_s wrote:
Hi,
Btween B & C I actually got confused by the phrase "began in"(in B) & began with (in C). Isnt "began with" correct idiomatically. "began in" doesnt sound right.

Dear Nibalh_s,
Here's a free idiom ebook you may find helpful:
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/gmat-idiom-ebook/
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3671 [2]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Kudos