Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 21:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Spanning more than fifty years, Friedrich Muller began his

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 94 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Spanning more than fifty years, Friedrich Muller began his [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2008, 20:51
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

67% (02:30) correct 33% (00:46) wrong based on 523 sessions
Spanning more than fifty years, Friedrich Muller began his career in an unpromising apprenticeship as a Sanskrit scholar and culminated in virtually every honor that European governments and learned societies could bestow.

(A) Muller began his career in an unpromising apprenticeship as

(B) Muller’s career began in an unpromising apprenticeship as

(C) Muller’s career began with the unpromising apprenticeship of being

(D) Muller had begun his career with the unpromising apprenticeship of being

(E) the career of Muller has begun with an unpromising apprenticeship of

It is not Friedrich Muller who was spanning more than fifty years, but his career thus A,D are straight out

Now we have -B,C,E
B -sounds good, Hold it
C- with and being sound awkward, eliminate it
E- of usage is awkward, shows as the apprenticeship began because of a sanskrit scholar.

thus B is the answer

anyother points that I am missing?
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Persistence+Patience+Persistence+Patience=G...O...A...L

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC 1000- 667/1000- Clarification [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2008, 06:54
I eliminate E because of incorrect verb usage : has begun
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC 1000- 667/1000- Clarification [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2008, 08:15
Clealy the modifier should be applied to Career but not to a person.

hence answer B
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 20

Re: SC 1000- 667/1000- Clarification [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2011, 12:54
i am lost here, can someone explain me what is 'Sanskrit scholar ' compared to?

Friedrich Muller’s career began in an unpromising apprenticeship as a Sanskrit scholar
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT Date: 10-01-2011
WE: Web Development (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 33

Re: SC 1000- 667/1000- Clarification [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2011, 13:03
agdimple333 wrote:
i am lost here, can someone explain me what is 'Sanskrit scholar ' compared to?

Friedrich Muller’s career began in an unpromising apprenticeship as a Sanskrit scholar

Why do you need to compare Sanskrit scholar in this case? The sentence uses AS as "in the role of".

If I look absent-minded or insane, I am just living a dream of being successful. If you still wonder why I am like this, you have no idea how success tastes like!

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT Date: 12-22-2011
GPA: 3.81
WE: General Management (Hospitality and Tourism)

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC 1000- 667/1000- Clarification [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2011, 04:07
My approuch take me less the 1 minute.

Parallel structure only in B

career began in ......and culminated in....

prasannar wrote:
Spanning more than fifty years, Friedrich Muller began his career in an unpromising apprenticeship as a Sanskrit scholar and culminated in virtually every honor that European governments and learned societies could bestow.

It is not Friedrich Muller who was spanning more than fifty years, but his career thus A,D are straight out

Now we have -B,C,E
B -sounds good, Hold it
C- with and being sound awkward, eliminate it
E- of usage is awkward, shows as the apprenticeship began because of a sanskrit scholar.

thus B is the answer

anyother points that I am missing?
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT Date: 10-01-2011
WE: Web Development (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 33

Re: SC 1000- 667/1000- Clarification [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2011, 06:12
Although I agree that B is the best choice in this sentence, I read somewhere that modifier modifying the possessive would give an impression as if it were modifying noun. In this case, "Muller" rather than "Muller's career". So if there is one more choice starting with "The career of Muller began.." keeping everything else same as B. Which one is supposed to be correct the choice with possessive or the choice with "The career"?

If I look absent-minded or insane, I am just living a dream of being successful. If you still wonder why I am like this, you have no idea how success tastes like!

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: Spanning more than fifty years, Friedrich Muller began his [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2012, 16:51
I have chosen B for this question:

A. The modifier is used incorrectly in this answer choice. Currently, "spanning more than 50 years" modifies Friedrich Muller - this is incorrect because a person cannot span more than 50 years. Rather, it was "Friedrich Muller's career" that spanned more than 50 years - this is the correct subject.

B. This answer choice is correct because it solves the modifier error. Also, the use of the simple past tense "began" correctly describes an event that occurred in the past.

C. Although the modifier error has been corrected in this answer choice, it is wordy. The words "of being" is awkward.

D. The verb tense should be simple past not past perfect. Also, "of being" shows up again in this answer choice.

E. This answer choice makes absolutely no sense. It reads "Friedrich the career of Muller..." Also, the use of present perfect tense is incorrect.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 2

Re: Spanning more than fifty years, Friedrich Muller began his [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2012, 21:15
B. Subject is his career so must use possessive.
Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 93 [0], given: 37

GMAT Tests User
Re: Spanning more than fifty years, Friedrich Muller began his [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2012, 05:03
+1 for B.

The initial modifier means that we must modify career => A and D out.
E incorrectly used present perfect.
C is awkwardly worded
B wins

Crick
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 520 Q42 V19
GMAT 2: 540 Q44 V21
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC 1000- 667/1000- Clarification [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2012, 09:30
sgupta0827 wrote:
Although I agree that B is the best choice in this sentence, I read somewhere that modifier modifying the possessive would give an impression as if it were modifying noun. In this case, "Muller" rather than "Muller's career". So if there is one more choice starting with "The career of Muller began.." keeping everything else same as B. Which one is supposed to be correct the choice with possessive or the choice with "The career"?

The career of Muller began keeping everything else same as B ill be correct

The proof of understanding is the ability to explain it.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 39

GMAT Tests User
Re: Spanning more than fifty years, Friedrich Muller began his [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2012, 19:52
in B , what is "as a scholar"?

the carreer is as scholar

or

the apprenticeship is as the scholar.

pls help
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 38

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Spanning more than fifty years, Friedrich Muller began his [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2013, 02:46
We are talking about Muller's career here and therefore, A D E go out.

Between B and C, I first picked C where I missed the parallelism in the sentence (began in and culminated in)

The correct answer is B.
Expert Post
GMAT Pill Instructor
Followers: 286

Kudos [?]: 634 [0], given: 6

Re: Spanning more than fifty years, Friedrich Muller began his [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2013, 09:56
Expert's post
In response to someone who asked why we don't say "began in an apprenticeship to be a scholar"---let's examine the following:

Core = "his career BEGAN in X as Y and culminated in Z"

BEGAN in (an apprenticeship) AS a scholar.

So usage of "AS" is correct.

We do not use "TO" as in "began in an apprenticeship to be a scholar" because that would CHANGE the MEANING.

"TO" usage = "in order to" --> This implies that he began an apprenticeship in order to become a scholar.

But no, that's not the meaning here. He began the apprenticeship AS a scholar--not in order to become a scholar.

Yes, the general structure is:

... and more

Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)

GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 26

Re: Spanning more than fifty years, Friedrich Muller began his [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2014, 02:57
APPRENTICESHIP AS SOMBODY is idiom though this one sound hard because "job" can not be " as" somebody"

but this one is idiom because there is no other way to express this idea

If anyone in this gmat forum is in England,Britain, pls, email to me, (thanghnvn@gmail.com) . I have some questions and need your advise. Thank a lot.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 47

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Spanning more than fifty years, Friedrich Muller began his [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2014, 03:17
prasannar wrote:

Right off the bat i see that A is wrong because "spanning" should not refer to the person muller, but his career, so after 5 seconds A is gone.

B) This sounds right, Im a bit iffy about "career began" and "apprenticeship as" but I definitely keep this as a contender.

C) "with the" sounds weird, "of being" sounds weird, so between B and C, B sounds best but I still keep C as a contender.

D) Again, this makes spanning refer to the person Muller so this is gone in 2 seconds

E) "has" is erroneously in present tense, we notice this if we check to the right of the underlined portion where we find "culminated", which is past tense. E is gone.

Back to B and C. C makes it seem as if a apprenticeship as a Sanskrit scholar by default is unpromising, and if you have a grasp of the intended MEANING of the sentence, you know this is not what the author is trying to say. The author wants to tell us that "his career started off shaky but got a lot better". C is gone and we are left with B.

Notice that I did not eliminate C based on grammatical errors; C does not have any immediate grammatical faults. But you NEED to have a firm understanding of the intended MEANING of the author, and you absolutely have to understand what every option is telling you. This way, you can confidently dismiss C and thus you go with the correct answer: B
Re: Spanning more than fifty years, Friedrich Muller began his   [#permalink] 05 Jan 2014, 03:17