Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Aug 2014, 23:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Sparky reporting

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2005, 17:35
Thanks for your great advice! But don't you think that I should take the test in 2005 only(ref-ETS>ACT) & there will be rush in GMAT registration for 2005.
(Please don't say concentrate to your study & hardly pay heed to ETS-ACT shift).
By the way how do you rate PR math workbook?
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2005, 17:52
BULLdoser wrote:
Thanks for your great advice! But don't you think that I should take the test in 2005 only(ref-ETS>ACT) & there will be rush in GMAT registration for 2005.
(Please don't say concentrate to your study & hardly pay heed to ETS-ACT shift).
By the way how do you rate PR math workbook?

let's see, you have almost 6 months till the end of the year. that's plenty of time.
will there be a rush? maybe but I don't think the numbers of test takers will double or anything like that. you can register now for say 3 months ahead, and say re-register later if you feel not ready. this way you will guarantee yourself a spot but it may cost you an extra 50 to re-register.

Also, imo, i don't think there will be hardly any change in terms of the questions and timing. ACT questions will replace ETS questions slowly over time after passing experimental testing. In fact new ACT tests may be easier than ETS tests in the beginning since ACT would rather see more happy people than more angry people. GMAT is a big business, and ACT would not want to loose GMAT contract over acting unpredictably, irresponsibly, and unprofessionaly.

I've never used PR math workbook.

Last edited by sparky on 01 Jul 2005, 23:50, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

[#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2005, 18:05
Sparky,
I'm overwhelmed by your response.
You are real friend.
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2005, 23:49
Biren wrote:
Awesome score Sparky. Time to party. :musband Best Wishes for the application process.

Please let me know the name of the LSAT book you used for verbal. Also let us know about how you prepared the essays.

I think I posted the LSAT books I used already somewhere in this thread.
As far as AWA is concerned

I did 3 Kaplan tests with AWA to build my stamina for the real thing. Overall I wrote around 15 essays for practice. I just follwed Kaplan 2005 advice on AWA, that is about it. I am not really good at AWA and think that AWA topics are really BS, especially analysis of the issue. I am still awaiting my AWA scores but I don't think I did especially great on those. In addition the keyboard sucked big time, I really had to hammer the keys with my fingters to get letters come up on the screen. For that thing only, I could have requested to cancel my exam and give me back my money, but I went on, if I didn't have screwy keyboard I could have typed twice as much, oh well. Now it's a waiting game.
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
few more thoughts on preparation [#permalink] New post 04 Jul 2005, 13:22
I was sitting and thinking what made me add 50-60 points to my PP scores over pretty short time - 1.5 months (I could used one more month to improve my verbal since I felt I could improve more but oh well - that's one of the challenges of GMAT - to get ready within a limited period of time).
Continuous studying and doing hard new problems were probably factors
but another thing I can recall is I took it easy for 2-3 days before the test, some light reviews, that's it, eating well of course.
I took my last full practice Kaplan CAT test 5 days before the real thing, not 2 days like lots of people do.
I didn't sleep well. I had to take some sleeping pills which didn't work. I managed maybe 4 hours of good sleep before I had to wake up. I think what's importan is not how much you slept but whether you got at least few hours of real night sleep.
No red bullls or any stimulants of any kind during the test although I brought a red bull along. I had just one cup of coffee in the morning.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 04 Jul 2005, 13:59
Congrats!!!! Good luck on your application bro.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2005, 05:37
Congrats Sparky.

good luck wiht ur apps.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2005, 06:48
Congrats sparky. Great score.
But to be honest , I expected you to max Q.

BTW, I've decided to retake my test ( remember I fell short the last time around).Any tips for time management. I'm cannot lay my hands on any newCATs so giving thoughts about 800score. What say sparky ?

HMTG.
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2005, 09:21
HowManyToGo wrote:
Congrats sparky. Great score.
But to be honest , I expected you to max Q.

:)

Had I had a month or two more to study, I could probably have done better but I cannot afford to spend that much time (and don't want to :)). On their second attempts people improve 10-30 points minimum usually.

Plus it probably would be an insult to everyone else here for me to retake GMAT with that score. Also admission officers might question my sanity as well in this case. (retake might happen though if my AWA's are bad)

HowManyToGo wrote:
BTW, I've decided to retake my test ( remember I fell short the last time around).Any tips for time management. I'm cannot lay my hands on any newCATs so giving thoughts about 800score. What say sparky ?

HMTG.

For time management just don't linger on a problem. The trick is you can't jump over your head on GMAT. If you try, you will end up guessing in the end, worsening your score. So if 3 min are gone and you still have no promising leads, make an intelligent guess and move on. Don't overdo the strategy when you devote more time to the first 15 questions.

800score, I don't know anything about it. Sorry man.

Good luck on your GMAT.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2005, 06:18
Thanks sparky. Good luck with you apping and please be around.

HMTG.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2005, 02:48
CONGRATS on the great score and thanks for the wonderful insights too.

It's not over until it's OVER!

Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2005, 03:00
Got my AWA 4.0 :( (I was almost crying). Thinking about retaking. I so much don't want to take it again.
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2005, 06:24
sparky wrote:
Got my AWA 4.0 :( (I was almost crying). Thinking about retaking. I so much don't want to take it again.

wow ! That's a bummer. Wud s**k if u have to do a retake just for AWA. Altho personally I think no school even look at AWA, however, the best bet wud be to call the schools and ask them directly. Problem might be, however, if ur essays are gr8 i.e adcoms mite wonder why there is no correlation bet good essays and the AWA score. Best Wishes to whatever u decide.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2005, 06:49
:ouch Sparky,

but i'm sure you won't have any problem with that. just power your essays and you'll be "home free". :beer

It's not over until it's OVER!

Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2005, 17:58
Sparky,

I think a lot of schools do not pay much attention to the AWA score. If I were you, I would focus on preparing essays and gathering more information from the desired schools.

Best wishes!
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2005, 04:28
Hey Sparky,

Do you have any advice on SC's. How did you "review" the questions you made mistakes on? So lets say you did 20 SC's today and you got 4-5 questions wrong. You jot down the errors you've made and why you got a question wrong; How do you incorporate that into your prep going forward?

A) Do you go back a week later and do the same questions again?
B) Do you do "trending analysis" on the type of questions you get wrong and "somehow" incorporate lessons learnt into your prep going forward? If so how? I mean what exactly do you look for? What if you see no trends?

I'm in that dilema. I've done the 885C's - 160 questions and made mistakes on x questions. After each session, i jot down the errors I've made. How do i use this data to get better? Any detailed ideas/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

best regards,
gmataquaquy.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2005, 08:45
sparky wrote:

I don't think you should worry at all.
4.0 is a pass, and you don't need more than that.
Yes they say that admission committees can take a look a your essays blah blah blah.
Can you expect a person to write a real essay in 30 minutes? I think not. I personally can put together a pretty solid work, not in 30 minutes though. People who take writing seriously will agree with me that extreme time constrains diminish the value of writing significantly. People in admission committees certainly understand that.
  [#permalink] 27 Jul 2005, 08:45