Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Dec 2014, 12:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Speaker: Contemporary business firms need to recognize that

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 125 [0], given: 0

Speaker: Contemporary business firms need to recognize that [#permalink] New post 04 May 2005, 08:07
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Speaker: Contemporary business firms need to recognize that avoiding social responsibility leads to the gradual erosion of power. This is Davis and Blomstrom’s Iron Law of Responsibility: “In the long run, those who do not use power in a manner which society considers responsible will tend to lose it.â€
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 04 May 2005, 09:16
I almost fell for (E), until I read (B) closely. (B) it is.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 04 May 2005, 09:40
Came down to E & B.Chose E.

Didnt quite understand the logic associated with B. :roll:

Can anyone explain?

Best..
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 04 May 2005, 10:08
The argument is that a business that wishes to retain its power as long as it can, must act responsibly.

E directly negates it.

B is tempting. But according to the arguement, the image created through public relations programmes that cover up the socially irresponsible use of power may be torn off someday (eventhough centuries after)

I go for E.
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 04 May 2005, 12:22
I did not understand choice (B). Someone please explain.

I prefer (E).
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 04 May 2005, 12:56
I was oscillating between B/E .....and I think I wil opt for E.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

Re: CR080219--Law of responsibility [#permalink] New post 04 May 2005, 17:09
A. Governments change rapidly so this statement doesn't strengthen or weaken the argument.
B. It does not relate to the argument of losing power or retaining power, but talks about how an institution is viewed. Obviously, its very weakly related to the argument.
C. Is correct BUT it does not demonstrate a very clear relation between social responsibility and power erosion. It means some institutions lose power rapidly, others slowly, and there's no correlation here. Its not possible to negate the author's argument effectively with this.
D. Negates the author's argument partially, by saying every business would fail. This negates author's contention that to retain power the institutes should take care of social responsibility (because they'd not retain power but fail eventually). But since it doesnt make a distinction between losing power when socially responsible and vice versa, doesn't provide a strong rebuttal of the author's argument.
E. is correct because it states cases to negate author's strongest contention that to keep power use it socially - that even using it socially, institutions have lost power.

Thus I'd go with E.

Can we please have the OA now?

Who says elephants can't dance?

Current Student
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 154 [0], given: 0

Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 05 May 2005, 01:41
Toss up between B and E. Assuming E is true, it definately weakens the iron law.
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 125 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 06 May 2005, 04:43
OA is B.

Would someone kindly explain b/w B and E?

thanks
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 06 May 2005, 09:48
chunjuwu wrote:
OA is B.

Would someone kindly explain b/w B and E?

thanks

The main argument is - "business that wishes to retain its power as long as it can must act responsibly"

B directly negates this by saying that businesses does not have to act responsibly, public relations programs can cause society to consider an institution socially responsible even when it is not acting responsibly.

On the other hand E supports the argument by saying ultimately businesses will loose power - the main argument is not whether businesses will loose power or not but whether businsses should act responsibly to retain power.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 06 May 2005, 10:15
The answer has to be (B).

(E) cannot be the answer because it is countering the argument rather than weakening it. (E) just turns turns the argument around instead of weakening it.

The argument would be weakened only if you try to prove that even a socially irresponsible organization can survive for long using good public relations because according the the author no socially irresponsible organization can last for long. And (B) weakens the argument to the T.

Hope the explanation was clear :-D
  [#permalink] 06 May 2005, 10:15