Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 13:36 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 13:36

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:Tepper '11
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Re: Special Accomodations for the GMAT! [#permalink]
here is what it says on mba.com

"Request Nonstandard Testing Accommodations
If you have a documented disability and would like to request nonstandard testing accommodations, follow the registration procedures described in Register as a Test Taker with Disabilities."
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
Get a note from the doctors saying you're dyslexic, that should get you some more time. I know you can do that on the MCAT, which is a lot harder of a test.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: General Management
Schools:NYU Stern '11
do bear in mind your score report will indicate you took the GMAT under non-standard accommodations.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
that's not true. i called the testing agency and your sure won't show. before they put an little "*" by ur score but now they don't want to discriminate people who have health issues that they took that off. you guys can call and confirm to see if schools will see that in the score report.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
Yes you can apply for special accomodations and the schools would not know you had special accomodations but you would have to prove alot to get it. I had a friend who tried to apply for it about 2 years ago because he had a mental disorder (OCD) but he still did not get it - he was asked to provide more information and he did not follow up. You would have to provide information regarding how you manage to function at work and in school and would most likely be expected to provide a letter from a doctor or psychiatrist providing information on treatment that has been administered & most likely they would probably expect you to have been afflicted for a few years (since people with disabilities usually struggle for years). If you don't have information from a medical professional I don't even think that you have a case since you're not considered to have a disability unless you're diagnosed by a professional

I know they ask you to specify what accomodations you think you need - be it extra breaks or double time and they consider it. They definitely know that this can be exploited so your case have to be convincing. They also ask stuff like 'what tests has been administered to prove that you need more time than any other test taker' since there are specific tests that are created to prove these things. I don't know if you must take the tests to be granted 'special accomodations' but I know that they will ask if you did. Some psychiatrists and psychologists provide these kind of testing services. This information should help.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
i think mental illness is the hardest to prove. physical injuries is the easiest. i have some friends who got the accommodations approved with a doctor note backed by a certain amount of medical history.

i guess the point of my post isn't about how to get accommodation. i just want to know what exactly the accommodation experience is like when you get (extra breaks, unlimited breaks, extended breaks) does extra break mean you have a button to stop the clock whenever u want? etc....extra time is obvious.

as long as you think you have a legitamit reason you should try to get accommodation. it doesn't hurt and most people get a 100 point increase.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [0]
Send PM
A buddy of mine took it last year under special conditions - basically he got double time. But he is profoundly dyslexic, been in special schools with special tutors his whole life, so it was easy for him to document his condition. He had no difficulties registering for the test.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I dont understand madcowudub...if you have friends who got special accomodations, then why are you asking how it works here. I don't see how anyone would get special accomodations easily with just physical injuries...this is designed for mental and physical disability, not physical injuries. Regarding, you being interested in how this works, if you had read my earlier post you would have noticed that I mentioned that you're asked to recommend what you need and they would eventually decide what accomodations to provide based on your disability - obviously, it would not be the same for everyone.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
well my friends received double time...and that is obvious..i didn't have to ask them. i just wanted to know what extended breaks / extra breaks are like.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
What's awesome about this site is that there are alot of honest people here - people who are also appreciative of information provided after they ask a question and I'm sorry but you don't fit the above description....you sound clueless on this 'special accomodations' issue and with regards to your honesty...I won't be excited about reading your GMAT experience debrief. (because its obvious that you have no friends that received accomodations...according to you - friends with 'a certain amount of medical history' - what medical history? - and that's a rhetorical question - you do not have to respond)
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37309 posts