Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 31 Oct 2014, 10:07

Today

Waiting for Decisions? Join us in the chat | All GMAT Club Tests are Free and Open

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Specular problem, but different approach to solve them?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 2

Specular problem, but different approach to solve them? [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2010, 06:30
Hi,
as already said I've a lot problem with probabilities and combinations.
I encountered the following problems, they seem very similar to me. So I tried to solve them with the same method. But it didn't work.

The problem are:
1) A four digit safe code does not contain the digits 1 and 4 at all. What is the probability that it has at least one even digit?
2) John wrote a phone number on a note that was later lost. John can remember that the number had 7 digits, the digit 1 appeared in the last three places and 0 did not appear at all. What is the probability that the phone number contains at least two prime digits?

1) I have four slots _ _ _ _ that can contain only {0,2,3,5,6,7,8,9}.
Four of them are even, four are odd.
So the probability of having an even digit is 4/8=1/2, as well having an odd digit.

The solution can be calculated as:
Probability of at least one even digit = Probability of one even digit + Probability of two even digits + Probability of three even digits + Probability of four even digits

P1 = 1/2
P2 = 1/2^2=1/4
P3 = 1/2^3=1/8
P4 = 1/2^4=1/16
P = P1+P2+P3+P4 = 15/16

2) I have the following situation _ _ _ _ 1 1 1
Empty slots can contain only {2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9}
Prime digits are {2,3,5,7}, not prime digits are {4,6,8,9}.
So the probability of having a prime digit is 4/8=1/2, as well having a non prime digit.

I think I have the same situation of the previous problem: filling 4 empty slots with digits (even or prime) that have the same probability of being in the slot (1/2) or not being (1/2).

So I created the solution with the same pattern of the previous problem:
Probability of at least two prime digits = Probability of two prime digits + Probability of three prime digits + Probability of four prime digits

P2 = 1/2^2=1/4
P3 = 1/2^3=1/8
P4 = 1/2^4=1/16
P = P2+P3+P4 = 7/16

My solution of problem 2 is not correct, while the one of problem 1 is correct. Why?

Kudos and beers for your help!!! :P
Retired Moderator
Followers: 76

Kudos [?]: 517 [0], given: 25

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Specular problem, but different approach to solve them? [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2010, 06:45
Read this about your first approach : http://gmatclub.com/forum/a-four-digit-safe-code-does-not-contain-the-digits-1-and-101427.html#p785778

I don't think its correct. There is a similar problem plaguing solution 2, which is why you get a wrong answer

And do let me know how you plan to deliver that beer :)

Math write-ups
1) Algebra-101 2) Sequences 3) Set combinatorics 4) 3-D geometry

My GMAT story

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 2

Re: Specular problem, but different approach to solve them? [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2010, 07:07
shrouded1 wrote:
Read this about your first approach : http://gmatclub.com/forum/a-four-digit-safe-code-does-not-contain-the-digits-1-and-101427.html#p785778

I don't think its correct. There is a similar problem plaguing solution 2, which is why you get a wrong answer

And do let me know how you plan to deliver that beer :)

Now I got it!
Probability is very tricky to me. I hope that with your advice I can improve in it.

About the beer, pick a London pub. In my next trip to London I will pay a beer for a guy called shrouded1. Then showing your ID to the bartender with shrouded1 as your first name he will give you a free beer.
I'm joking. I appreciate your help!
Retired Moderator
Followers: 76

Kudos [?]: 517 [0], given: 25

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Specular problem, but different approach to solve them? [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2010, 11:04
haha ... I shall wait

Time to get a fake ID

Math write-ups
1) Algebra-101 2) Sequences 3) Set combinatorics 4) 3-D geometry

My GMAT story

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Organizational Behavior
Followers: 350

Kudos [?]: 1416 [0], given: 196

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Specular problem, but different approach to solve them? [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2010, 11:12
Expert's post
LOL. I was in London recently; beers are so overrated.
Re: Specular problem, but different approach to solve them?   [#permalink] 21 Sep 2010, 11:12