Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 17:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Speed

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 08 Jan 2009
Posts: 332
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 5

Speed [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2009, 18:33
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
A boat crossed a lake from North to South at the speed of 4 km/h, entered a river and covered twice as much distance going upstream at 3 km/h. It then turned around and stopped at the south shore of the lake. If it averaged 3.8 km/h that day, what was its approximate downstream speed?

[Reveal] Spoiler:
5


I have some word translation issues. Hope some one can there also.

Husband is seven times older than his son ? does this translate to W=7S or W - S = 7S.
1 KUDOS received
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 27 Aug 2009
Posts: 153
Location: St. Louis, MO
Schools: Cornell (Bach. of Sci.), UCLA Anderson (MBA)
Followers: 130

Kudos [?]: 215 [1] , given: 6

Re: Speed [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2009, 10:47
1
This post received
KUDOS
tkarthi4u wrote:
A boat crossed a lake from North to South at the speed of 4 km/h, entered a river and covered twice as much distance going upstream at 3 km/h. It then turned around and stopped at the south shore of the lake. If it averaged 3.8 km/h that day, what was its approximate downstream speed?

This one is really difficult to do algebraically in 2 minutes! I just did that solution and wouldn't recommend it to anyone. Not only are you solving for some variable R (the unknown downstream rate), but you have some unknown distances: X = distance across the lake and 2X = distance upstream = distance downstream. In addition, the RT = D or T = D/R formula means we will encounter fractions in our algebra--not ideal!

Since X is not specified, and it must drop out of the algebra in order to solve for R, why not pick a number for X? If we pick strategically, we can avoid dealing with too many fractions.

Avg. Speed = Total Distance/Total Time.
3.8km/h = (X + 2X + 2X)/Total Time.

Total Time = Time to cross lake + Time to go upstream + Time to go downstream.
In general, Time = Dist/Rate, so let's pick distance X such that it is divisible by both given rates: 3km/h and 4km/h. Thus, X = 12km.
If the lake is 12km across, Time to cross lake = 12km/4km/h = 3h.
If the travel upstream is 24km, Time to go upstream = 24km/3km/h = 8h.
If the travel downstream is 24km, Time to go downstream = 24km/R. (Remember, we are solving for this R)

So,
3.8 = 5X/(3 + 8 + 24/R) = 60/(11 + 24/R)
3.8(11 + 24/R) = 60
38(11 + 24/R) = 600 (multiplied both sides by 10, just to get rid of decimals)
418 + (38)(24)/R = 600
(38)(24)/R = 182
R = (38)(24)/182 = (19)(24)/91 = 456/91 = approx 5.

tkarthi4u wrote:
Husband is seven times older than his son ? does this translate to W=7S or W - S = 7S.

I think it could be interpreted either way. To avoid this confusion, I think the actual GMAT would present the constraint with different wording. Something like "A father is seven times as old as his son..." (F = 7S)
_________________


Emily Sledge | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | St. Louis

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 03 Sep 2009
Posts: 30
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 1

Re: Speed [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2009, 14:59
X = distance across the lake and 2X = distance upstream = distance downstream
y: downstream speed
=> time to across the lake = X/4
time of upstream = 2X/3
time of downstream = 2X/y

Total time (for across + upstream + downstream)= X/4 + 2X/3 + 2X/y
Average speed = (X + 2X + 2X) / (total time) = 5X / (X/4 + 2X/3 +2X/y) = 3.8
=> 5/3.8 - 1/4 - 2/3 = 2/y => y ~ 2/0.4 = 5

=> we don't need to know X or give X a value to solve the problem


esledge wrote:
tkarthi4u wrote:
A boat crossed a lake from North to South at the speed of 4 km/h, entered a river and covered twice as much distance going upstream at 3 km/h. It then turned around and stopped at the south shore of the lake. If it averaged 3.8 km/h that day, what was its approximate downstream speed?

This one is really difficult to do algebraically in 2 minutes! I just did that solution and wouldn't recommend it to anyone. Not only are you solving for some variable R (the unknown downstream rate), but you have some unknown distances: X = distance across the lake and 2X = distance upstream = distance downstream. In addition, the RT = D or T = D/R formula means we will encounter fractions in our algebra--not ideal!

Since X is not specified, and it must drop out of the algebra in order to solve for R, why not pick a number for X? If we pick strategically, we can avoid dealing with too many fractions.

Avg. Speed = Total Distance/Total Time.
3.8km/h = (X + 2X + 2X)/Total Time.

Total Time = Time to cross lake + Time to go upstream + Time to go downstream.
In general, Time = Dist/Rate, so let's pick distance X such that it is divisible by both given rates: 3km/h and 4km/h. Thus, X = 12km.
If the lake is 12km across, Time to cross lake = 12km/4km/h = 3h.
If the travel upstream is 24km, Time to go upstream = 24km/3km/h = 8h.
If the travel downstream is 24km, Time to go downstream = 24km/R. (Remember, we are solving for this R)

So,
3.8 = 5X/(3 + 8 + 24/R) = 60/(11 + 24/R)
3.8(11 + 24/R) = 60
38(11 + 24/R) = 600 (multiplied both sides by 10, just to get rid of decimals)
418 + (38)(24)/R = 600
(38)(24)/R = 182
R = (38)(24)/182 = (19)(24)/91 = 456/91 = approx 5.

tkarthi4u wrote:
Husband is seven times older than his son ? does this translate to W=7S or W - S = 7S.

I think it could be interpreted either way. To avoid this confusion, I think the actual GMAT would present the constraint with different wording. Something like "A father is seven times as old as his son..." (F = 7S)
CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 29 Aug 2007
Posts: 2500
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 512 [0], given: 19

Re: Speed [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2009, 21:06
tkarthi4u wrote:
A boat crossed a lake from North to South at the speed of 4 km/h, entered a river and covered twice as much distance going upstream at 3 km/h. It then turned around and stopped at the south shore of the lake. If it averaged 3.8 km/h that day, what was its approximate downstream speed?

[Reveal] Spoiler:
5


The question is not crystal clear.


4n + 8n + 8n = 3.8 (n + 8n/3 + 8n/k) ........... where n = number of hours and k is speed in km/h
20k = 3.8 (3k + 8k + 24)
60k = 3.8 (11k) + 3.8 (24)
60k - 41.8k = 3.8 (24)
k = 3.8 (24)/41.8
k = 5.011 km/h




tkarthi4u wrote:
I have some word translation issues. Hope some one can there also.

Husband is seven times older than his son ? does this translate to W=7S or W - S = 7S.



This sentence probably wanted to say, imo, h = 7s but still another very unclear.
_________________

Verbal: new-to-the-verbal-forum-please-read-this-first-77546.html
Math: new-to-the-math-forum-please-read-this-first-77764.html
Gmat: everything-you-need-to-prepare-for-the-gmat-revised-77983.html


GT

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 10 Jul 2009
Posts: 131
Location: Ukraine, Kyiv
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 60

Re: Speed [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2009, 06:45
my solution is long, but still I managed to solve this. good question, besides! Thanks.

x, 2x, 2x distances. total distance 5x.
x/4+2x/3+2x/y = total time (11xy+24x)/12y

main equation:

5x/[(11xy+24x)/12y]=3.8
solving it we get 5 as the answer.
(5x*12y)/(11xy+24x)=60xy/(11xy+24x)=3.8
60xy=41.8xy+91.2x
18.2xy=91.2x
y=5
_________________

Never, never, never give up

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 04 Sep 2009
Posts: 53
WE 1: Real estate investment consulting
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 7

Re: Speed [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2009, 11:22
GMAT TIGER wrote:

4n + 8n + 8n = 3.8 (n + 8n/3 + 8n/k) ........... where n = number of hours and k is speed in km/h
20k = 3.8 (3k + 8k + 24)
60k = 3.8 (11k) + 3.8 (24)
60k - 41.8k = 3.8 (24)
k = 3.8 (24)/41.8
k = 5.011 km/h



This is good!

Got there via different road - almost identical to the previous post, but did not use any x.

\frac{5}{1/4+2/3+2/x}=3.8

The rest of the principle is the same
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 27 Oct 2008
Posts: 186
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 80 [0], given: 3

Re: Speed [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2009, 10:32
Question not put forth clearly. After some trouble, i arrived at the same equation as you guys and got the answer.

5x/(x/4 + 2x/3 + 2x/y) = 3.8
x cancels out and thus we can solve for y which is the downstream speed.
Re: Speed   [#permalink] 24 Sep 2009, 10:32
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
speed abhi398 1 29 Sep 2011, 13:06
Speed.............. milind1979 2 01 Apr 2009, 02:22
GMATPrep- speed lan583 3 01 Sep 2006, 11:00
ds: speed mirhaque 4 23 Mar 2005, 06:16
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Speed

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


cron

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.