Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 16:41 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 16:41

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2804 [22]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3792 [4]
Given Kudos: 412
GMAT 1: 530 Q47 V17
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V36
WE:Business Development (Consulting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 367 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 725 [1]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Re: From 1965 to 1988, spending on food in the United States climbed 46 pe [#permalink]
Kudos
amritgodofwar wrote:
I eliminated C,D,E easily.

Between A and B, I chose B..
but OA is A.

Can someone please post an explanation, and tell me where i am wrong.

Thanks.
Amrit.

A is definately strong. B is tempting but think that people buying from regular stores 26% and 20% from supermarket.
Compared with 26% spending on restaurants and 20% on supermarkets makes more sense.

Also B reads people bought 'certain products' from regular stores. if it would have said a 'very high percentage' of food from regular stores... B would have been a better choice.
hope this helps.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Schulich (A)
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.13
Send PM
Re: From 1965 to 1988, spending on food in the United States climbed 46 pe [#permalink]
Kudos
amritgodofwar wrote:
I eliminated C,D,E easily.

Between A and B, I chose B..
but OA is A.

Can someone please post an explanation, and tell me where i am wrong.

Thanks.
Amrit.

The stimulus says that spending on food to be consumed at home grew by only 20% which implies spending on food not consumed at home must have increased to balance out the spending. A says the same thing.

B says shoppers spent more on certain food products to be consumed at home that are no generally available in supermarket . This is not strong enough since according to stimulus most spending on food to be consumed at home was done at supermarket.

Hope it helps
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 1180 [0]
Given Kudos: 236
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE:General Management (Transportation)
Send PM
amritgodofwar wrote:
From 1965 to 1988, spending on food in the US climbed 46%. But over that same period, spending on food to be consumed at home purchased mainly from supermarkets grew by only 20%.

Which of the following statements about the period from 1965 to 1988 in the US is best supported by the statements above?

A. Spending on food increased at restaurants and other food retailers that prepare food to be consumed away from home.

B. Shoppers spent more on certain food products to be consumed at home that are not generally available in supermarkets.

C. Food prices at supermarkets neither rose nor dropped relative to food prices at other food retailers.

D. There was a decrease in the number of heads of households, who tend to spend more than other household members on food consumed away from home..

E. The number of people who ate at restaurants decreased relative to the number of people who ordered take out food from restaurants.

I took some extra seconds just to double check...
so spending on food rose 46%
spending on products to be consumed at home - 20%
it must be true that more people spend $ on take out or ate at restaurants/cafes/etc.

A is the only one that fits.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1321 [0]
Given Kudos: 143
GMAT 1: 670 Q46 V36
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V38
GMAT 3: 690 Q48 V37
GMAT 4: 710 Q49 V38 (Online)
Send PM
rohitgoel15 wrote:
From 1965 to 1988, spending on food in the United States climbed 46 percent. But over that same period, spending on food to be consumed at home — purchased mainly from supermarkets — grew by only 20 percent.

Which of the following statements about the period from 1965 to 1988 in the United States is best supported by the statements above?

Please explain with reasoning.

(A) Spending on food increased at restaurants and other food retailers that prepare food to be consumed away from home. - Correct
(B) Shoppers spent more on certain food products to be consumed at home that are not generally available in supermarkets. - Out of Scope
(C) Food prices at supermarkets neither rose nor dropped relative to food prices at other food retailers. - Food prices = Irrelevant.
(D There was a decrease in the number of heads of households, who tend to spend more than other household members on food consumed away from home. - Common flaw. Mixing # with %s.
(E) The number of people who ate at restaurants decreased relative to the number of people who ordered take-out food from restaurants. - Common flaw. Mixing # with %s.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V32
Send PM
rohitgoel15 wrote:
From 1965 to 1988, spending on food in the United States climbed 46 percent. But over that same period, spending on food to be consumed at home — purchased mainly from supermarkets — grew by only 20 percent.

Which of the following statements about the period from 1965 to 1988 in the United States is best supported by the statements above?

(A) Spending on food increased at restaurants and other food retailers that prepare food to be consumed away from home.
(B) Shoppers spent more on certain food products to be consumed at home that are not generally available in supermarkets.
(C) Food prices at supermarkets neither rose nor dropped relative to food prices at other food retailers.
(D There was a decrease in the number of heads of households, who tend to spend more than other household members on food consumed away from home.
(E) The number of people who ate at restaurants decreased relative to the number of people who ordered take-out food from restaurants.

Please explain with reasoning.

I see a lot of confusion between options A and B.
The confusion, in my opinion, arises because of the words purchased mainly from supermarkets. These words are a modifier modifying products to be consumed at home. It implied that most of the products to be consumed at home are bought from supermarkets, including the products to be consumed at home but bought not at supermarkets, the overall home products have risen only 20%.
Therefore another 26% increase should be from not at-home products.
Current Student
Affiliations: Senior Manager, CA by profession, CFA(USA) Level 2
Own Kudos [?]: 167 [0]
Given Kudos: 148
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 560 Q44 V23
GMAT 2: 530 Q39 V24
GMAT 3: 580 Q46 V24 (Online)
GMAT 4: 640 Q50 V26
GPA: 3.82
WE:Other (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
VeritasKarishma mam though I was able to arrive at correct answer A, Can you please share a strong reason for eliminating Option B
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64900 [2]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
rohitgoel15 wrote:

(A) Spending on food increased at restaurants and other food retailers that prepare food to be consumed away from home.

(B) Shoppers spent more on certain food products to be consumed at home that are not generally available in supermarkets.

(C) Food prices at supermarkets neither rose nor dropped relative to food prices at other food retailers.

(D There was a decrease in the number of heads of households, who tend to spend more than other household members on food consumed away from home.

(E) The number of people who ate at restaurants decreased relative to the number of people who ordered take-out food from restaurants.

Spending on food in the United States climbed 46 percent.
Spending on food to be consumed at home — purchased mainly from supermarkets — grew by only 20 percent.

Note that "purchased mainly from supermarkets" is an aside. It is not the main part of the sentence. It gives us some extra information that food consumed at home is purchased mainly from supermarkets (but it could be purchased from other stores too)

The main sentence is this:
Spending on food to be consumed at home grew by only 20 percent.

Then the rest of the extra spending must have happened for food to be consumed outside of home - wherever that may be.

Option (A) clearly mentions retailers that prepare food to be consumed away from home. So it covers the "away from home" parameter well. Hence, this is correct.

They spent 20% extra on all food consumed at home (whether bought at supermarkets or other places). So we cannot make the distinction between supermarkets and other places. The argument only gives us the figure for at home consumption (including all places from where people buy for at home consumption)
So (B) is incorrect.

Answer (A)
Current Student
Affiliations: Senior Manager, CA by profession, CFA(USA) Level 2
Own Kudos [?]: 167 [0]
Given Kudos: 148
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 560 Q44 V23
GMAT 2: 530 Q39 V24
GMAT 3: 580 Q46 V24 (Online)
GMAT 4: 640 Q50 V26
GPA: 3.82
WE:Other (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
VeritasKarishma wrote:
rohitgoel15 wrote:

Spending on food in the United States climbed 46 percent.
Spending on food to be consumed at home — purchased mainly from supermarkets — grew by only 20 percent.

Note that "purchased mainly from supermarkets" is an aside. It is not the main part of the sentence. It gives us some extra information that food consumed at home is purchased mainly from supermarkets (but it could be purchased from other stores too)

The main sentence is this:
Spending on food to be consumed at home grew by only 20 percent.

Then the rest of the extra spending must have happened for food to be consumed outside of home - wherever that may be.

Option (A) clearly mentions retailers that prepare food to be consumed away from home. So it covers the "away from home" parameter well. Hence, this is correct.

They spent 20% extra on all food consumed at home (whether bought at supermarkets or other places). So we cannot make the distinction between supermarkets and other places. The argument only gives us the figure for at home consumption (including all places from where people buy for at home consumption)
So (B) is incorrect.

Answer (A)

Thank you so much mam for explaining in such a lucid way ....Crystal Clear now :)
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts