Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 08:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Spending Too Much Time on CR Questions (MGMAT Approach)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

GMAT ToolKit User
Spending Too Much Time on CR Questions (MGMAT Approach) [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2012, 10:29
Hello guys,

I am currently preparing for the GMAT (31st of August) and struggling with my timing on CR questions. I went trough the MGMAT Guide for CR and as recommended there, I always diagram each argument. With this approach I reach a stable accuracy of 80% on easy and middle questions out of the OG 12, but I also spend on average 30 sec more on these questions than the 120 sec limit.
How do you attack CR questions, is there an alternative approach?

Thanks for your help!

Regards from Germany
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Pill Representative
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 18 [1] , given: 2

Re: Spending Too Much Time on CR Questions (MGMAT Approach) [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2012, 15:49
This post received
KUDOS
Hi there!

With regard to improving your timing on CR questions - practice may be your best friend here. I do not have personal experience with MGMAT's CR diagram (the T-diagram thingamajig?), but I have heard that employing it means that you start out relatively slowly and gain a little steam as you gain experience with their method.

How long have you been practising for?

Hi, I'm DonQuixote, a former GMAT Pill student who scored 780. I'm very grateful for this score and have now joined their staff :) My account of my GMAT experience can be found here.

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Followers: 84

Kudos [?]: 470 [1] , given: 431

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Spending Too Much Time on CR Questions (MGMAT Approach) [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2012, 18:30
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Perhaps my advice will seem a little too simple, but have you tried answering CR questions without relying on diagrams? Diagrams may be a useful tool at first, but it appears that this approach is acting more as an impediment now. It might be uncomfortable at first, but you should be able to adjust and answer questions without diagrams.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 620 Q39 V35
GMAT 2: 620 Q43 V33
GMAT 3: 730 Q50 V40
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 63 [1] , given: 3

Re: Spending Too Much Time on CR Questions (MGMAT Approach) [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2012, 20:03
This post received
KUDOS
Many people on this forum would recommend Powerscore CR for CR questions. Powerscore doesn't use the diagramming method

My GMAT Debrief : http://gmatclub.com/forum/third-time-s-a-charm-142800.html#p1145912
Quant Concept Videos : http://gmatlife.blogspot.com/2012/07/gm ... ideos.html
My GMAT Blog : http://gmatlife.blogspot.com/

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 1

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Spending Too Much Time on CR Questions (MGMAT Approach) [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2012, 20:28
This post received
KUDOS
Hello and thanks for your replys! I have more or less exhausted all of the CR questions out of the OG 12 and would continue with the verbal book. I will give bmillan01's advice a try, but my feeling is that it is not the action of drawing the diagram that takes me longer, I think it's more a general problem. Does the Powerscore CR introduce new methods?

Regards!

Image Posted from GMAT ToolKit
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 470 [1] , given: 431

Re: Spending Too Much Time on CR Questions (MGMAT Approach) [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2012, 20:47
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
The Powerscore CR Bible is similar to its Manhattan counterpart, so there probably isn't much value in using both books. With that said, the Powerscore CR Bible is generally considered the best in the market.

Also, don't worry about running out of practice questions. You still have the OG Verbal, GMATClub's CR Forum, and LSAT question banks.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 5

Re: Spending Too Much Time on CR Questions (MGMAT Approach) [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2012, 23:30
Where can I find LSAT question bank?
Intern
Intern
WE 1: 4

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 8

Re: Spending Too Much Time on CR Questions (MGMAT Approach) [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2012, 00:25
Even i am facing the same problem, my accuracy is around 90%, but i am taking too longer, and unable to finish the section. Anyone please help me on timing part for verbal section in general, in spite of spending so much time for preparation, i am unable do all the questions in the section.
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V40
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.48
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 18

Re: Spending Too Much Time on CR Questions (MGMAT Approach) [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2012, 00:49
I just bought the MGMAT CR book. Should I go exchange for the Powerscore CR or is the MGMAT adequate?
Expert Post
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 470 [0], given: 431

Re: Spending Too Much Time on CR Questions (MGMAT Approach) [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2012, 05:56
Expert's post
rocknrollgmat wrote:
Where can I find LSAT question bank?

Here is the link. But be aware that LSAT LR questions are generally considered more difficult than GMAT CR questions and cover more material not tested on the GMAT.

HImba88 wrote:
I just bought the MGMAT CR book. Should I go exchange for the Powerscore CR or is the MGMAT adequate?

If you haven't read Manhattan CR yet and can get a full refund for store credit, then go ahead and exchange it for the Powerscore CR Bible. Also, factor in how much time this transaction will take. You don't want to sacrifice too much study time waiting on a CR guidebook. I would stress (again) that purchasing and reading both book probably isn't the best investment in your time and money. You should be fine with either one.

bhupathireddyo wrote:
Even i am facing the same problem, my accuracy is around 90%, but i am taking too longer, and unable to finish the section. Anyone please help me on timing part for verbal section in general, in spite of spending so much time for preparation, i am unable do all the questions in the section.

Why do you think that you're taking too much time answering the question? Are you having trouble retaining the information from the passage? Are you rereading the passage and questions? Are you hesitating when choosing between two answer choices? Or does it just take awhile to work through the problem?

Just keep practicing often and time yourself with each question. Estimate your average time per question (don't get too technical, just make it reasonable) and gradually knock off time and set that as your goal. For example, if your average is 120 seconds per question, set your goal at 105. Once you reach that level, try to go down to 90 seconds. If you fail to answer the question in time, finish it anyway, but mark it as incorrect and reattempt the question later that day or the next morning. And always fully read the explanation for each and every practice question that you answer - even for the ones that you answer correctly. Assuming that you have enough time, another helpful tool is to reread whatever guidebook that you used earlier. Also, see this thread for more comprehensive and detailed strategies.

Re: Spending Too Much Time on CR Questions (MGMAT Approach)   [#permalink] 31 Jul 2012, 05:56