Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 06:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Split b/w Duke and UNC? Let's discuss.

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

If you had a choice, which school would you go to?

You may select 1 option
Intern
Intern
Schools: Duke Class of 2012
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 16

Split b/w Duke and UNC? Let's discuss. [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2010, 09:58
Hey everyone, I know there are a few folks out there deciding b/w Duke and UNC and I'd like to know what everyone's thoughts were. I'm in at Fuqua (can't believe it, really) and I'm waiting to hear from UNC. That said, if I were to get into UNC I'm really torn between the two. For background, here's my brief background:

32/w/m, 5 years we in asset mngt, looking to continue in the field, with the possibility of working in China in some respect along the way.

Thanks all and best of luck to everyone.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Booth R1 (WL), NYU R1 (WL), Kellogg JD/MBA R2, Tepper R2, Ross R2 (admit)
WE 1: Mortgage
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 18 [1] , given: 8

Re: Split b/w Duke and UNC? Let's discuss. [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2010, 15:37
This post received
KUDOS
As with deciding between any two schools, the biggest deciding factor is what you want to study and what each school specializes in. With that said, I'm a North Carolina resident and would choose UNC over Duke any day of the week and save myself around $40k (and also because I can't stand Duke basketball).

When it comes to social life, UNC wins hands-down too. If you live in Durham, you'll find yourself heading to Franklin Street every weekend, whether its for the restaurants or the nightlife.

I wish I had your decision to make!
Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Schools: Yale SOM Class of 2012
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Followers: 36

Kudos [?]: 215 [0], given: 111

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Split b/w Duke and UNC? Let's discuss. [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2010, 20:31
both schools are pretty equal (except healthcare, where duke has a pretty sizable advantage). i'd probably go wherever i got the most financial aid

GMAT Debrief

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
Schools: Wharton Class of 2012 w/ fellowship
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: Split b/w Duke and UNC? Let's discuss. [#permalink] New post 10 Mar 2010, 12:58
Duke is a bit a of a better school, by rankings and perception. Duke does better in MC and IB, they are one of the top in marketing and health care, and they even have a presence in tech (moreso on the east coast than SV), and Duke has a lot of international opportunities and is doing a lot to expand internationally. UNC has the edge in RE. Since they are about 30 mins apart, I don't see how the social scene can be much different for one or the other, I'm a city girl and find that area of NC to be slow regardless of being at Duke or UNC, but the people at Duke are great so I doubt you'll get too bored with them.

My story of an average chick who stumbled into the 700+ club
700-clubbers-add-your-name-to-the-list-64636-100.html#p600519
My 2009-2010 Application Decisions
2010-profiles-w-admit-dings-results-no-discussion-78475.html?view-post=600694#p600694

Current Student
Schools: R1: Kellogg WL, Haas WL, Fuqua, Darden R2: Wharton
WE 1: Biotech Strategy
WE 2: Health Economics
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 2

Re: Split b/w Duke and UNC? Let's discuss. [#permalink] New post 10 Mar 2010, 14:43
I would say Duke. I think it's solidly in the second tier of schools while UNC is in the third. I also recall seeing that UNC has undergone one of the biggest jumps in unemployment rate.

I actually don't know much about UNC (other than a few very fun visits in undergrad) but unless I felt a very, very strong connection to UNC, I'd go to Duke (perhaps with me, bias exposed :) )
Current Student
Schools: MIT (Sloan) - Class of 2012
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 6

Re: Split b/w Duke and UNC? Let's discuss. [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2010, 08:55
I would say Duke has a better reputation and if you are looking to work in China, they seem to be one of the most dedicated B Schools to the global experience.
Intern
Intern
Schools: Duke R2 (WL after int), UNC R2 (Accepted w/$$), Darden (Int)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Split b/w Duke and UNC? Let's discuss. [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2010, 17:47
I actually have a similar question to the previous poster - I am in at UNC with a half-tuition scholarship, and I am on the waitlist at Duke. Obviously not a choice between them at this point, but even if I were to get off the WL into Duke I am not sure which would be a better choice. I want to go into consulting after school and I'm not sure how good UNC is for this, I am a little nervous about my chances.

Really appreciate any advice, thank you!
Re: Split b/w Duke and UNC? Let's discuss.   [#permalink] 30 Mar 2010, 17:47