Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 19:47 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 19:47

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 119 [60]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [7]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618612 [1]
Given Kudos: 81563
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 290 [2]
Given Kudos: 35
Send PM
Re: Spokesperson: In the 2006 election of the city mayor, 55% of the voter [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
A little arithmetic will do the trick here.
Let total voters=100
Females=55;Males=45
Supported=67;Didnt support=33

Option A.If all males supported,female supporters=67-45=22 not half of 55.Incorrect.

Option B.the above case can prove this point also;males=45;females=22.Incorrect.
C-what if there were only 2 candidates and the other recd.the rest ie 33?

D-given in the stem itself.Correct.

E-nothing about the future can be absolutely true.

Posted from my mobile device
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 4689 [0]
Given Kudos: 463
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Spokesperson: In the 2006 election of the city mayor, 55% of the voter [#permalink]
bepositive wrote:
Spokesperson: In the 2006 election of the city mayor,55% of the voters were female. All the voters were between ages 18 and 70 and 2/3 of them supported the incumbent mayor. The incumbent mayor won the election with a substantially greater number of votes than any other candidate.

If the statements made by the Spokesperson are true, then which of the following must be true?

a.At least 1/2 of the female voters supported the incumbent mayor.
b.The incumbent mayor received stronger support from the female voters than from the male voters.
c.There were no other candidates in the election who received more than 30% of all the votes.
d.45% of the voters in the election were male and none of them were 75 years old.
e.If the proportion of male and female voters in the city remains the same, the incumbent mayor is also likely to win the next election.

It's best to solve this question by taking some numbers -

Let No of Voters in the age group of 18 -20 Years be 300
Female Voters is 165
Male Voters is 135

2/3rd of the Voters support the incumbent Mayor, so 200 voters supported the mayor and are likely to vote in favor of him. ( Assuming all eligible voters cast their votes)
So, The Mayor didn't get 1/3rd of the total Votes , ie 100 votes and won the election by a substantially greater number of votes than any other candidate.

We can say the Winner got 66.67% of the total votes and the other candidates got 33.33% of the total votes cast.

Among the options presented (D) directly flows from the stimulus ( Highlighted parts of the stimulus )

1. 55% of the voters were female = 45% of the voters were male
2. All the voters were between ages 18 and 70 = All the voters were less than 75 Years age.

Remember for a must be true type question PowerScore CR states -

1. Paraphrase / Restate what has already been presented in the stimulus.
2. Results from a combination of 2 or More statements presented in the stimulus.

Thus correct answer is (D)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 263 [0]
Given Kudos: 84
GMAT 1: 650 Q46 V34
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 2.58
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: Spokesperson: In the 2006 election of the city mayor, 55% of the voter [#permalink]
55% are women & incumbent got 2/3 (66%) of the total votes.

(A) At least 1/2 of the female voters supported the incumbent mayor. -- Incorrect. We don't know that. What if 45% males and 21% women voted for the incumbent? (21% is less than half of total women voters)

(B) The incumbent mayor received stronger support from the female voters than from the male voters. -- Same as A. Incorrect. Not borne out by the passage

(C) There were no other candidates in the election who received more than 30% of all the votes. -- Incorrect. Other candidate can get 34% votes.

(D) 45% of the voters in the election were male and none of them were 75 years old. -- Correct.

(E) If the proportion of male and female voters in the city remains the same, the incumbent mayor is also likely to win the next election. -- We don't know that. And this is also not borne out by the passage.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts