Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 02:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Square ABCD encloses a circle of area 154 at its center

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 37

Square ABCD encloses a circle of area 154 at its center [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2012, 22:11
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

100% (01:02) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 5 sessions
Square ABCD encloses a circle of area 154 at its center. What area of the square ABCD is not circle?

(1) The shortest distance from any of the four vertices A, B, C, or D of the square ABCD to the circle is 10√2 - 7.
(2) The length of tangent drawn from any of the four vertices A, B, C, or D of the square ABCD to the circle is √151.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.2
WE: Business Development (Internet and New Media)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 76 [0], given: 10

Re: Square ABCD encloses a circle of area 154 at its center [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2012, 20:21
The answer is definitely not C since A is enough to answer the question. Still can't wrap my head around if B is enough or not though.
If we can find the length of the diagonal of the square, the rest should be possible to calculate. We already know the radius of the circle. So 2 times the radius plus two times the shortest distance should add up to the diagonal of the square. And since the diagonal splits the square into two isosceles similar triangles, A should be enough.

Area of circle = 154

So {\pi}r^2=154
So \frac{22}{7}r^2=154
So 22*r^2=154*7
So r^2=7*7
So r=7

So we can find r

Statement 1: Shortest distance from any of the vertices is 10\sqrt{2}-7

So diagonal of square would be 2*{(10\sqrt{2}-7)}+7+7
Which is 2*10\sqrt{2} = 20\sqrt{2}
At this point you have to realize that traingle formed by the diagonal is an isocelese one.
If you remember the proportions of an isosceles triangle 1:1:\sqrt{2}
Hence the side of the square = 20
So Area of Square = 400
So Area of the remaining space = (400-154)=246

So A is sufficient

Still wrapping my head around B though

Statement B: The length of tangent drawn from any of the four vertices A, B, C, or D of the square ABCD to the circle is √151.

Length of tangent is given. Tangent forms an angle of 90 degrees with the radius of the circle. Length of tangent is \sqrt{151}
Let half the diagonal of square be = x
Length of Radius = 7
So 7^2+{(\sqrt{151})}^2=x^2
So x^2=200
So x=10\sqrt{2}
So length of diagonal = 20\sqrt{2}
Again, it forms an isosceles triangle so the side of square = 20

Answer should be D

There might be something wrong with my calculations since I do not know if the tangent extends all the way to the edge of the square or just the circle but to sum it up, both statements should be individually sufficient. What's the original answer?

Just on a side note, if you face a question like this in reality on the GMAT, i wouldn't be doing all these calculations. I just did the calculations to come up with a proof. Once I can spot that the statement is sufficient, there is no need to prove it in the actual exam since you just have to pick the right option. I was just a bit skeptic about the question (and wrongly so) so solved it to prove things to myself. But more importantly, the answer to this question could be spotted in less than a minute on the actual exam.

"Nowadays, people know the price of everything, and the value of nothing." Oscar Wilde

Last edited by omerrauf on 10 Feb 2012, 21:09, edited 2 times in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GPA: 2.5
WE: Operations (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 110 [0], given: 59

Re: Square ABCD encloses a circle of area 154 at its center [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2012, 20:57
Its A. Omerrauf - I did the same way. I couldnt find any relevance of St 2.wts d OA

"When the going gets tough, the tough gets going!"

Bring ON SOME KUDOS MATES+++

-----------------------------
Quant Notes consolidated: consolodited-quant-guides-of-forum-most-helpful-in-preps-151067.html#p1217652

My GMAT journey begins: my-gmat-journey-begins-122251.html

All about Richard Ivey: all-about-richard-ivey-148594.html#p1190518

Manager
Manager

Re: Square ABCD encloses a circle of area 154 at its center [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2012, 21:00
sdas wrote:
Its A. Omerrauf - I did the same way. I couldnt find any relevance of St 2.wts d OA

I think the answer should be D. Amended my post above. I think both statements are sufficient on their own. Didn't post the question so have no idea about the original answer. But it must be D.

"Nowadays, people know the price of everything, and the value of nothing." Oscar Wilde

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Square ABCD encloses a circle of area 154 at its center [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2012, 21:28
Omerraur- did u consider the tangent from the center of circle or from each vertices of square...not too clear on that. as per your solution its center of circle (till the vertices a,b,c,d) which is fair, but question is not clear to me....

Quant Notes consolidated: consolodited-quant-guides-of-forum-most-helpful-in-preps-151067.html#p1217652

Manager
Manager

Re: Square ABCD encloses a circle of area 154 at its center [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2012, 07:22
sdas wrote:
Omerraur- did u consider the tangent from the center of circle or from each vertices of square...not too clear on that. as per your solution its center of circle (till the vertices a,b,c,d) which is fair, but question is not clear to me....

From the vertices to the edge of the circle. ANy tangent to the circle will always be perpendicular to a radius that is drawn from the coincidence point of the tangent towards the centre of the circle.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Square ABCD encloses a circle of area 154 at its center [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2012, 07:27
Known. But guess was confused if tangent length considered was between vertices or till circle edge (radius).Thanks got is clear. Ans D

Re: Square ABCD encloses a circle of area 154 at its center   [#permalink] 11 Feb 2012, 07:27