Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 10:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

SSE or St.Gallen for Msc Finance?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

SSE or St.Gallen for Msc Finance? [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2012, 09:58
Hello everybody, I didn't find a presentation-dedicated forum so I'm gonna introduce myself here...I'm an Italian undergraduate student at Bocconi and I'm thinking about master programs applications for next year (I'm graduating in June, hopefully).

Obviously I'm gonna apply to Msc Finance at Bocconi, but unless I get a Merit Award (which I think will be very difficult to get with a 700 GMAT) I won't go for it.

So the other two options I'm considering are St.Gallen MBF and SSE Msc Finance and Accounting. Any feedback about these programs in terms of placement/job opportunities, in particular within the investment banking industry.

Thank you very much!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 12

Re: SSE or St.Gallen for Msc Finance? [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2013, 00:15
Rand91 wrote:
Hello everybody, I didn't find a presentation-dedicated forum so I'm gonna introduce myself here...I'm an Italian undergraduate student at Bocconi and I'm thinking about master programs applications for next year (I'm graduating in June, hopefully).

Obviously I'm gonna apply to Msc Finance at Bocconi, but unless I get a Merit Award (which I think will be very difficult to get with a 700 GMAT) I won't go for it.

So the other two options I'm considering are St.Gallen MBF and SSE Msc Finance and Accounting. Any feedback about these programs in terms of placement/job opportunities, in particular within the investment banking industry.

Thank you very much!

I would say it depends on your personal preference. Both programs are very good and rigorous I think. If you want to learn German and consider to work in private wealth management instead of the - today very popular for whatever reason :wink: - option of working in IB I would go for HSG because of its proximity to Zurich. However, take into account that HSG is a great school, but that you really have to be confident with the idea of living in a 75,000 inhabitants city. I lived there for a couple of months, and even though there is a quite vivid student life going on, I was bored more often than not, just because the city has so little to offer. On the other hand, the personal network that you build up in St. Gallen is much stronger than one in, say, London because everybody lives so close to each other (not only because of the size of the city but rather because of the "specialness" of having to live in a Swiss village where there is almost only university going on).
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: SSE or St.Gallen for Msc Finance? [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2013, 04:50
I am stuck on a similar decision too. Managed to get into HEC but somehow seem to favour St. Gallen over that. Any idea how the placements are like for non german speaking Non EU students?
Current Student
GMAT 1: 680 Q45 V38
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 7

Re: SSE or St.Gallen for Msc Finance? [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2013, 00:19
bvp wrote:
I am stuck on a similar decision too. Managed to get into HEC but somehow seem to favour St. Gallen over that. Any idea how the placements are like for non german speaking Non EU students?

Well, the St. Gallen program was "internationalized" only a few years ago and therefore I doubt you'll find many graduates with such a background. I'd contact the University and ask them if you could be put in touch with a recent alumni from your country/region. Then ask him/her.

I did my undergrad degree in St. Gallen and can't really tell. There's certainly a very international job market in Zurich with a lot of companies that depend on the "global talent pool", but from my experience they are very open to help out experienced applicants with visa/working permits but on the graduate level it's another story.

If you do it, you should have a backup plan in mind in your home country. But if you're interested in coming to the German speaking part of Europe later on, the St. Gallen degree will definitely help. And since the St. Gallen degree is a bargain compared other top programs, there's not too much to lose.

Can't really say much about HEC Paris, I think it has exactly the same position as St. Gallen in its linguistic region for Europeans, but I have absolutely no idea how placements are if you're not from the EU. But speaking French there will be at least as important as speaking German in St. Gallen.

SSE: Well, for London recruiting it's probably the same as St. Gallen and Bocconi (possible, but just part of the big group of schools that are good but not LSE/Oxbridge). But if you're more thinking of the local markets (Zurich/Geneva/Frankfurt) vs Stockholm, I think you'll be better off in St. Gallen, simply because it places great in all of German speaking Europe which is much bigger than SSE's home market.
Re: SSE or St.Gallen for Msc Finance?   [#permalink] 22 Mar 2013, 00:19