Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 02:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

St.John's is the best school in the city as in each of the

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 180 [1] , given: 10

St.John's is the best school in the city as in each of the [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2013, 01:15
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

64% (01:46) correct 36% (01:09) wrong based on 127 sessions
St.John's is the best school in the city because one or more of its students have always got selected to the national math olympiad team in the past ten years.

Which of the following is an underlying assumption of the argument above?

A. If a student of a school doesn't get selected to the national math olympiad team, then that school cannot be considered good
B. At least one of the students of the best school in a city is highly talented in math.
C.Selection to the national math olympiad team is extremely difficult
D. Selection of students of a school to the national math olympiad team can be a good indicator of the quality of that school.
E.Most of the brightest students do not compete for a place in the national math olympiad team
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Srinivasan Vaidyaraman
Sravna Test Prep
http://www.sravna.com/courses.php

Classroom Courses in Chennai
Online and Correspondence Courses

Last edited by SravnaTestPrep on 04 Jan 2013, 16:33, edited 2 times in total.
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 700 Q43 V42
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 29

Re: St.John's is the best school in the city as in each of the [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2013, 13:15
That question is not very coherent, difficult to understand, and grammatically incorrect. Where is this from?

If my post helped you, please consider giving me kudos.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 180 [0], given: 10

Re: St.John's is the best school in the city as in each of the [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2013, 17:02
commdiver wrote:
That question is not very coherent, difficult to understand, and grammatically incorrect. Where is this from?

Dear commdriver,

Can you say why the question is not very coherent and grammatically incorrect?

Srinivasan Vaidyaraman
Sravna Test Prep

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 700 Q43 V42
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 29

Re: St.John's is the best school in the city as in each of the [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2013, 07:18
SravnaTestPrep wrote:
St.John's is the best school in the city as in each of the past ten years, one or more of its students have always got selected to the national math olympiad team.

A. If a student of a school doesn't get selected to the national math olympiad team, then that school cannot be considered good
B. At least one of the students of the best school in a city is highly talented in math.
D. Selection of students of a school to the national math olympiad team can be a good indicator of the quality of that school.
E.Most of the brightest students do not compete for a place in the national math olympiad team

"Have got selected" is incorrect. It should be "have been selected". The original sentence does not make much sense. I am assuming that that St. John's is the best school and that, as in each of the past ten years, one or most of its students have been selected to the national math olympiad team. If that is true, the sentence should read something like "St. John's is the best school in the city, and as in the past ten years, one or more of its student have been selected to the national math olympiad team." The original sentence is confusing because it does not make clear what "as in each of the past ten years" is modifying.

If my post helped you, please consider giving me kudos.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: St.John's is the best school in the city as in each of the [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2013, 16:28
commdiver wrote:
SravnaTestPrep wrote:
St.John's is the best school in the city because one or more of its students have always got selected to the national math olympiad team in the past ten years.

"Have got selected" is incorrect. It should be "have been selected". The original sentence does not make much sense. I am assuming that that St. John's is the best school and that, as in each of the past ten years, one or most of its students have been selected to the national math olympiad team. If that is true, the sentence should read something like "St. John's is the best school in the city, and as in the past ten years, one or more of its student have been selected to the national math olympiad team." The original sentence is confusing because it does not make clear what "as in each of the past ten years" is modifying.

No I do not mean " and as in each of the past ten years"

Here is a paraphrase of what I wrote:

St.John's is the best school in the city because its students have always been selected to the national math olympiad team.

I have slightly modified the sentence though to make it more readily understandable.

Srinivasan Vaidyaraman
Sravna Test Prep

Expert Post
Followers: 288

Kudos [?]: 2414 [0], given: 693

Re: St.John's is the best school in the city as in each of the [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2013, 17:50
Expert's post
Instead, I like this kind of question, straight like a sword. It is not confused at all

And pretty tough

D is the best the others are more or less irrelevant.

Please, if you post a question then do not edit. Better doing a new post and delete the previous one

rules-for-posting-in-verbal-gmat-forum-134642.html

Thanks.

Regards

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS
Quant: 1. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 2. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 3. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version
Verbal:1. Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section 2. e-GMAT's ALL CR topics-Consolidated 3. New Critical Reasoning question bank by carcass 4. Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik 5. e-GMAT's ALL SC topics-Consolidated-2nd Edition 6. The best reading to improve Reading Comprehension 7.Verbal question bank and Directories

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: St.John's is the best school in the city as in each of the [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2013, 18:41
carcass wrote:
Please, if you post a question then do not edit. Better doing a new post and delete the previous one

rules-for-posting-in-verbal-gmat-forum-134642.html

Thanks.

Sorry folks I was not aware of the rules but nothing substantive has been changed though. But I do understand that I have to stick to the rules.

Srinivasan Vaidyaraman
Sravna Test Prep

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT Date: 08-01-2013
GPA: 3.7
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 29

Re: St.John's is the best school in the city as in each of the [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2013, 22:41
I thought of D, but the " Can " in the statement confused me.... So, I opted for A.

Any explanation why A is incorrect?

"Where are my Kudos" ............ Good Question = kudos

"Start enjoying all phases" & all Sections

percentages-700-800-level-questions-130588.html

700-to-800-level-quant-question-with-detail-soluition-143321.html

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: St.John's is the best school in the city as in each of the [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2013, 07:32
targetbschool wrote:
I thought of D, but the " Can " in the statement confused me.... So, I opted for A.

Any explanation why A is incorrect?

A is incorrect because there may be more than one measure of the quality of a school. The author implies that selection to the national math olympiad team is the preeminent measure in that case. Thus choice A is wrong because a school may be good on other yardsticks and so be considered good.

Srinivasan Vaidyaraman
Sravna Test Prep

SVP
SVP
Followers: 259

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: St.John's is the best school in the city as in each of the [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2014, 06:25
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: St.John's is the best school in the city as in each of the   [#permalink] 08 Aug 2014, 06:25