Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 31 May 2016, 13:08
GMAT Club Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

St.John's is the best school in the city as in each of the

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 17 Dec 2012
Posts: 433
Location: India
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 348 [2] , given: 14

St.John's is the best school in the city as in each of the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jan 2013, 02:15
2
This post received
KUDOS
2
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  25% (medium)

Question Stats:

67% (01:52) correct 33% (01:11) wrong based on 231 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

St.John's is the best school in the city because one or more of its students have always got selected to the national math olympiad team in the past ten years.

Which of the following is an underlying assumption of the argument above?

A. If a student of a school doesn't get selected to the national math olympiad team, then that school cannot be considered good
B. At least one of the students of the best school in a city is highly talented in math.
C.Selection to the national math olympiad team is extremely difficult
D. Selection of students of a school to the national math olympiad team can be a good indicator of the quality of that school.
E.Most of the brightest students do not compete for a place in the national math olympiad team
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

_________________

Srinivasan Vaidyaraman
Sravna
http://www.sravnatestprep.com

Classroom Courses in Chennai


Last edited by SravnaTestPrep on 04 Jan 2013, 17:33, edited 2 times in total.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 09 Nov 2012
Posts: 170
GMAT 1: 700 Q43 V42
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 29

Re: St.John's is the best school in the city as in each of the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jan 2013, 14:15
That question is not very coherent, difficult to understand, and grammatically incorrect. Where is this from?
_________________

If my post helped you, please consider giving me kudos.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 17 Dec 2012
Posts: 433
Location: India
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 348 [0], given: 14

Re: St.John's is the best school in the city as in each of the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jan 2013, 18:02
commdiver wrote:
That question is not very coherent, difficult to understand, and grammatically incorrect. Where is this from?


Dear commdriver,

Can you say why the question is not very coherent and grammatically incorrect?
_________________

Srinivasan Vaidyaraman
Sravna
http://www.sravnatestprep.com

Classroom Courses in Chennai

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 09 Nov 2012
Posts: 170
GMAT 1: 700 Q43 V42
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 29

Re: St.John's is the best school in the city as in each of the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jan 2013, 08:18
SravnaTestPrep wrote:
St.John's is the best school in the city as in each of the past ten years, one or more of its students have always got selected to the national math olympiad team.

Which of the following is an underlying assumption of the argument above?

A. If a student of a school doesn't get selected to the national math olympiad team, then that school cannot be considered good
B. At least one of the students of the best school in a city is highly talented in math.
C.Selection to the national math olympiad team is extremely difficult
D. Selection of students of a school to the national math olympiad team can be a good indicator of the quality of that school.
E.Most of the brightest students do not compete for a place in the national math olympiad team


"Have got selected" is incorrect. It should be "have been selected". The original sentence does not make much sense. I am assuming that that St. John's is the best school and that, as in each of the past ten years, one or most of its students have been selected to the national math olympiad team. If that is true, the sentence should read something like "St. John's is the best school in the city, and as in the past ten years, one or more of its student have been selected to the national math olympiad team." The original sentence is confusing because it does not make clear what "as in each of the past ten years" is modifying.
_________________

If my post helped you, please consider giving me kudos.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 17 Dec 2012
Posts: 433
Location: India
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 348 [0], given: 14

Re: St.John's is the best school in the city as in each of the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jan 2013, 17:28
commdiver wrote:
SravnaTestPrep wrote:
St.John's is the best school in the city because one or more of its students have always got selected to the national math olympiad team in the past ten years.

Which of the following is an underlying assumption of the argument above?

A. If a student of a school doesn't get selected to the national math olympiad team, then that school cannot be considered good
B. At least one of the students of the best school in a city is highly talented in math.
C.Selection to the national math olympiad team is extremely difficult
D. Selection of students of a school to the national math olympiad team can be a good indicator of the quality of that school.
E.Most of the brightest students do not compete for a place in the national math olympiad team


"Have got selected" is incorrect. It should be "have been selected". The original sentence does not make much sense. I am assuming that that St. John's is the best school and that, as in each of the past ten years, one or most of its students have been selected to the national math olympiad team. If that is true, the sentence should read something like "St. John's is the best school in the city, and as in the past ten years, one or more of its student have been selected to the national math olympiad team." The original sentence is confusing because it does not make clear what "as in each of the past ten years" is modifying.



No I do not mean " and as in each of the past ten years"

Here is a paraphrase of what I wrote:

St.John's is the best school in the city because its students have always been selected to the national math olympiad team.

I have slightly modified the sentence though to make it more readily understandable.
_________________

Srinivasan Vaidyaraman
Sravna
http://www.sravnatestprep.com

Classroom Courses in Chennai

Expert Post
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 01 Sep 2010
Posts: 2889
Followers: 657

Kudos [?]: 5209 [0], given: 884

Re: St.John's is the best school in the city as in each of the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jan 2013, 18:50
Expert's post
Instead, I like this kind of question, straight like a sword. It is not confused at all

And pretty tough

D is the best the others are more or less irrelevant.

Please, if you post a question then do not edit. Better doing a new post and delete the previous one

rules-for-posting-in-verbal-gmat-forum-134642.html

Thanks.

Regards
_________________

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS AND RESOURCES
Quant: 1. ALL GMATPrep questions Quant/Verbal 2. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 3. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 4. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version 5. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Quant Videos
Verbal:1. Verbal question bank and directories by Carcass 2. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Verbal Videos 3. Critical Reasoning_Oldy but goldy question banks 4. Sentence Correction_Oldy but goldy question banks 5. Reading-comprehension_Oldy but goldy question banks

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 17 Dec 2012
Posts: 433
Location: India
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 348 [0], given: 14

Re: St.John's is the best school in the city as in each of the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jan 2013, 19:41
carcass wrote:
Please, if you post a question then do not edit. Better doing a new post and delete the previous one

rules-for-posting-in-verbal-gmat-forum-134642.html

Thanks.



Sorry folks I was not aware of the rules but nothing substantive has been changed though. But I do understand that I have to stick to the rules.
_________________

Srinivasan Vaidyaraman
Sravna
http://www.sravnatestprep.com

Classroom Courses in Chennai

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 14 Jan 2013
Posts: 152
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT Date: 08-01-2013
GPA: 3.7
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 177 [0], given: 29

Re: St.John's is the best school in the city as in each of the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jan 2013, 23:41
I thought of D, but the " Can " in the statement confused me.... So, I opted for A.

Any explanation why A is incorrect?
_________________

"Where are my Kudos" ............ Good Question = kudos

"Start enjoying all phases" & all Sections

__________________________________________________________________
http://gmatclub.com/forum/collection-of-articles-on-critical-reasoning-159959.html

percentages-700-800-level-questions-130588.html

700-to-800-level-quant-question-with-detail-soluition-143321.html

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 17 Dec 2012
Posts: 433
Location: India
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 348 [0], given: 14

Re: St.John's is the best school in the city as in each of the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Jan 2013, 08:32
targetbschool wrote:
I thought of D, but the " Can " in the statement confused me.... So, I opted for A.

Any explanation why A is incorrect?


A is incorrect because there may be more than one measure of the quality of a school. The author implies that selection to the national math olympiad team is the preeminent measure in that case. Thus choice A is wrong because a school may be good on other yardsticks and so be considered good.
_________________

Srinivasan Vaidyaraman
Sravna
http://www.sravnatestprep.com

Classroom Courses in Chennai

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2013
Posts: 7722
Followers: 713

Kudos [?]: 144 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: St.John's is the best school in the city as in each of the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2014, 07:25
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 17 Jul 2014
Posts: 1615
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 550 Q39 V27
GMAT 2: 560 Q42 V26
GMAT 3: 560 Q43 V24
GMAT 4: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.56
WE: General Management (Transportation)
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 104

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: St.John's is the best school in the city as in each of the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Dec 2015, 19:46
SravnaTestPrep wrote:
St.John's is the best school in the city because one or more of its students have always got selected to the national math olympiad team in the past ten years.


good question. reminds me of an e-gmat example with GMATClub members and GMAT test takers who get high scores. :)

so, the assumption here must be that if a school has its students selected for national math olympiad team, then the school can be considered a good one.

Which of the following is an underlying assumption of the argument above?

A. If a student of a school doesn't get selected to the national math olympiad team, then that school cannot be considered good
this one is way too strong. but wait, there are a lot of other students who do not get selected for the math olympiad team, but they might be very good at history, english literature, etc. this one uses way too strong words, such as "cannot be considered". this doesn't allow for any "possibilities". this one tells for certain that if from a school students are not selected for math olympiad, then the school is not a good one. because of this, A can be eliminated.

B. At least one of the students of the best school in a city is highly talented in math.
well, it might be true, but we need an assumption to support the claim that the school is the best in town. So B is out.

C.Selection to the national math olympiad team is extremely difficult
it might be true, or might not. negate this one. The conclusion still stands even if the negated version of C is added to the argument. C is out.

D. Selection of students of a school to the national math olympiad team can be a good indicator of the quality of that school.
Aha! basically what I mentioned above. looks good.
let's try to negate this one:
selection cannot be a good indicator of the quality of the school. wow, now the conclusion is just simply destroyed. so this is a good candidate for the correct answer. let's check for E.

E.Most of the brightest students do not compete for a place in the national math olympiad team
well, this one is out of scope, and completely irrelevant to the conclusion.

D so far is the best answer.
Re: St.John's is the best school in the city as in each of the   [#permalink] 23 Dec 2015, 19:46
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
29 Experts publish their posts in the topic In the city of Cantville, a high school earns the Young mun23 11 03 Mar 2013, 10:12
1 Mayor: In each of the past five years, the city has cut RaviChandra 4 31 Mar 2010, 06:21
1 Og11 Cr-9 Mayor : In each of the past five years, the city lys8207 7 21 Jan 2010, 15:07
2 Mayor: In each of the past five years, the city has cut snipertrader 7 05 Aug 2009, 19:49
Mayor: In each of the past five years, the city has cut clubzzang 7 24 Jun 2008, 16:00
Display posts from previous: Sort by

St.John's is the best school in the city as in each of the

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.