Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 04:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

St. Johns, Newfoundland, lies on the same latitude as Paris,

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 158 [0], given: 17

GMAT Tests User
St. Johns, Newfoundland, lies on the same latitude as Paris, [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2009, 10:38
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

30% (02:36) correct 70% (01:18) wrong based on 10 sessions
21. St. John’s, Newfoundland, lies on the same latitude as Paris, France, but in spring St. John’s residents are
less likely to be sitting at outdoor cafes than to be bracing themselves against arctic chills, shoveling
snow, or seeking
shelter from a raging northeast storm.

(A) residents are less likely to be sitting at outdoor cafes than to be bracing themselves against arctic
chills, shoveling snow, or seeking

(B) residents are less likely to sit at outdoor cafes, and more to be brace themselves against arctic
chills, shovel snow, or be seeking

(C) residents are less likely to be sitting at outdoor cafes, and more likely to be bracing themselves
against arctic chills, shoveling snow, or to be seeking

(D) residents, instead of sitting at outdoor cafes, they are more likely to be brace themselves against
arctic chills, shovel snow, or seek

(E) residents, instead of sitting at outdoor cafes, are more likely to brace themselves against arctic
chills, shovel snow, or to be seeking

math-polygons-87336.html
competition-for-the-best-gmat-error-log-template-86232.html

Director
Director
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 186 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC-St. John’s, Newfoundland, lies on the same latitude [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2009, 10:57
IMO A.

...less likely A than B ,or C ... - A, B and C all are parallel.

If You're Not Living On The Edge, You're Taking Up Too Much Space

VP
VP
Schools: Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 94 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC-St. John’s, Newfoundland, lies on the same latitude [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2009, 23:20
nitya34 wrote:
21. St. John’s, Newfoundland, lies on the same latitude as Paris, France, but in spring St. John’s residents are
less likely to be sitting at outdoor cafes than to be bracing themselves against arctic chills, shoveling
snow, or seeking

(A) residents are less likely to be sitting at outdoor cafes than to be bracing themselves against arctic

(B) residents are less likely to sit at outdoor cafes, and more to be brace themselves against arctic

(C) residents are less likely to be sitting at outdoor cafes, and more likely to be bracing themselves

(D) residents, instead of sitting at outdoor cafes, they are more likely to be brace themselves against

(E) residents, instead of sitting at outdoor cafes, are more likely to brace themselves against arctic

I don't think A is correct. Believe it's C. Will explain if correct but the basic idea sis that LESS LIKELY TO BE X cannot be compared in the same way that More likely to be X than to be Y: I am more likely to be happy than sad -> uses ellipsis (shortened form) - so basically the sentence can be translated as: I am more likely to be happy than (i am likely to be) sad. (the bracketed portion is ellipsed).

Turning the same logic around if i say: i am LESS LIKELY to be Happy than SAD: It means I am less likely to be happy than (I am less likely to be) sad. (the bracketed portion is ellipsed).

This actually doesn't mean anything. This is the problem with choice A as well.
VP
VP
Schools: Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 94 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC-St. John’s, Newfoundland, lies on the same latitude [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2009, 23:39
dwivedys wrote:
nitya34 wrote:
snow, or seeking

I don't think A is correct. Believe it's C. Will explain if correct but the basic idea sis that LESS LIKELY TO BE X cannot be compared in the same way that More likely to be X than to be Y: I am more likely to be happy than sad -> uses ellipsis (shortened form) - so basically the sentence can be translated as: I am more likely to be happy than (i am likely to be) sad. (the bracketed portion is ellipsed).

Turning the same logic around if i say: i am LESS LIKELY to be Happy than SAD: It means I am less likely to be happy than (I am less likely to be) sad. (the bracketed portion is ellipsed).

This actually doesn't mean anything. This is the problem with choice A as well.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I take back what I said earlier: A is fine. I just wasn't too familiar with the LESS LIKELY TO BE X THAN TO BE Y usage.
VP
VP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 106 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC-St. John’s, Newfoundland, lies on the same latitude [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2009, 23:45
A for the reasons already mentioned

nitya34 wrote:
snow, or seeking

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 7

Re: SC-St. John’s, Newfoundland, lies on the same latitude [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2010, 15:25
I selected option C but can say how A is more concise and makes sense. i got thrown of by the less likely to be...than to be construction which I researched and find to be correct.
Expert Post
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 260

Kudos [?]: 1520 [0], given: 247

Re: SC-St. John’s, Newfoundland, lies on the same latitude [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2010, 07:51
Expert's post
The basic problem in C is that it does not make clear what is less likely .... than; in other words by failing to make a genuine comparison by using the comparative term ‘less likely than’, the sentence simply makes a statement of two facts, conjugating them with the conjunction ‘and’. C misses the spirit of comparison and hence not of logical predication as GMAT would like to so fondly call it

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Schools: Pitt, Oregon, LBS...
Followers: 28

Kudos [?]: 252 [0], given: 36

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC-St. John’s, Newfoundland, lies on the same latitude [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2010, 15:10
Although the right idiom would be "less likely to X than Y" could it not be acceptable to say "it is less likely to X and more likely to Y"? Or is that incorrect?

[highlight]Monster collection of Verbal questions (RC, CR, and SC)[/highlight]
massive-collection-of-verbal-questions-sc-rc-and-cr-106195.html#p832142

[highlight]Massive collection of thousands of Data Sufficiency and Problem Solving questions and answers:[/highlight]
1001-ds-questions-file-106193.html#p832133

Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 95

Kudos [?]: 211 [0], given: 20

Re: SC-St. John’s, Newfoundland, lies on the same latitude [#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2010, 09:47
Hey MisterEko,

I think you're right...while you so often see the GMAT expression more...than or less...than, it's definitely not wrong to say something like:

I'd like to include more vegetables and less fat in my diet.

So words like "more" and "less" don't REQUIRE a "than" in there...it's just a very common and very efficient way to set up a comparison so you'll often see that structure used in comparison-based correct answers. Your hypothetical doesn't appear to be "wrong" by any means.

Because there are so many correct ways to phrase a sentence, I'd highly recommend looking for known errors in these. C, a popular choice on this one, is simply not parallel in its list: More likely to be bracing, shoveling, or to be seeking. The first "to be" covers all three present-tense verbs; to have "to be" on two of them but not on the middle one breaks parallel list structure and is therefore wrong.

I'd look for those known-to-be-incorrect errors and save "unique" or "awkward" phrasing to the end because we simply can't become expert on all possible correct phrases, but we can get pretty efficient at rooting out the known mistakes.

Brian

Save $100 on live Veritas Prep GMAT Courses and Admissions Consulting

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Re: SC-St. John’s, Newfoundland, lies on the same latitude   [#permalink] 30 Nov 2010, 09:47