Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 16:31 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 16:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7797 [9]
Given Kudos: 18
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 259 [4]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: IT Consulting
GMAT 2: 520
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 837 [2]
Given Kudos: 2
GRE 1: Q800 V800

Send PM
Re: Stable interest rates on long-term bonds are the financial market’s vo [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Remember that the GMAT is the authority on GMAT English, and that this is especially true with idioms. If you're not confident that a particular idiom issue has ever shown up on a real GMAT, don't sweat it. I haven't seen any other idiom questions involving "control," so I'll give an account of Standard Written English, which is sometimes more liberal than GMAT English.

About the idiom: "control of" is fine when followed by an object, the thing being controlled. It is awkward at best otherwise.
CORRECT: He seemed in control of the car until he hit the black ice.
CORRECT: It can be very difficult to take control of a privately held company.
AWKWARD: A privately held company can be very difficult to take control of.

If you add a prepositional phrase to the end of the clause, the awkward example passes over into just plain wrong.
CORRECT: It can be very difficult to take control of a privately held company by tender offer.
INCORRECT: A privately held company can be very difficult to take control of by tender offer.

In fact, apart from this idiom, you ought to be skeptical of any answer that follows "of" with another preposition.

About the odd use of the conditional in E: ENAFEX refers to chapter 7 of the Manhattan GMAT Sentence Correction Strategy Guide, specifically to pages 112 and 113. I won't try to capture all those pages have to say here, but I will note that you can often sort out verb tense issues by appealing to logic or meaning as much to grammar. The FR keeping control of the economy isn't conditional on anything, so don't use the conditional "would."
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 538 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Send PM
Re: Stable interest rates on long-term bonds are the financial market’s vo [#permalink]
B is the winner here.

E is very awkward and wordy.

Crick
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 44 [0]
Given Kudos: 1120
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Fuqua '24 (A)
GPA: 3.2
WE:Consulting (Health Care)
Send PM
MichaelS wrote:
Remember that the GMAT is the authority on GMAT English, and that this is especially true with idioms. If you're not confident that a particular idiom issue has ever shown up on a real GMAT, don't sweat it. I haven't seen any other idiom questions involving "control," so I'll give an account of Standard Written English, which is sometimes more liberal than GMAT English.

About the idiom: "control of" is fine when followed by an object, the thing being controlled. It is awkward at best otherwise.
CORRECT: He seemed in control of the car until he hit the black ice.
CORRECT: It can be very difficult to take control of a privately held company.
AWKWARD: A privately held company can be very difficult to take control of.

If you add a prepositional phrase to the end of the clause, the awkward example passes over into just plain wrong.
CORRECT: It can be very difficult to take control of a privately held company by tender offer.
INCORRECT: A privately held company can be very difficult to take control of by tender offer.

In fact, apart from this idiom, you ought to be skeptical of any answer that follows "of" with another preposition.

About the odd use of the conditional in E: ENAFEX refers to chapter 7 of the Manhattan GMAT Sentence Correction Strategy Guide, specifically to pages 112 and 113. I won't try to capture all those pages have to say here, but I will note that you can often sort out verb tense issues by appealing to logic or meaning as much to grammar. The FR keeping control of the economy isn't conditional on anything, so don't use the conditional "would."

Just adding my 2 cents here. D and E has another problem, it is missing the preposition "in" - keep in control or keep under control is the proper idiom...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 93 [1]
Given Kudos: 78
Send PM
Kudos
Stable interest rates on long-term bonds are the financial market’s vote of confidence in the Federal Reserve keeping in control of inflation.

(A) in the Federal Reserve keeping in control of inflation

The confidence should be in that Federal Reserver's ability to keep control of the inflation, not in Federal Reserve itself. A wrong.
In addition, the wrong idiom is used: "keep in control of sth". Instead, it should be "keep sth under control".

(B) that the Federal Reserve will keep inflation under control

Correct

(C) for the Federal Reserve, that it would keep control of inflation

idiom: confidence in sth. that not for sth.

(D) that inflation will be kept control of by the Federal Reserve

passive

(E) that inflation would be kept control of by the Federal Reserve

passive
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Stable interest rates on long-term bonds are the financial markets vo [#permalink]
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Stable interest rates on long-term bonds are the financial markets vo [#permalink]
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts