Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 05:53 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 05:53

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 373 [22]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1899 [1]
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4446 [1]
Send PM
Re: CR Actors [#permalink]
saurya_s wrote:
Stage performances are judged to be realistic to the degree that actors reproduce on stage the behaviors generally associated by audiences with the emotional states of the characters portrayed. Traditional actors imitate those behaviors, whereas Method actors, through recollection of personal experience, actually experience the same emotions that their characters are meant to be experiencing. Audiences will therefore judge the performances of Method actors to be more realistic than the performances of traditional actors.
Which one of the following is an assumption on which the argument depends?
(A) Performances based on an actor’s own experience of emotional states are more likely to affect an audience’s emotions than are performances based on imitations of the behaviors generally associated with those emotional states.
(B) The behavior that results when a Method actor feels a certain emotion will conform to the behavior that is generally associated by audiences with that emotion.
(C) Realism is an essential criterion for evaluating the performances of both traditional actors and Method actors.
(D) Traditional actors do not aim to produce performances that are realistic representations of a character’s emotional states.
(E) In order to portray a character, a Method actor need not have had experiences identical to those of the character portrayed.

B it is.

Because Method actors experience the same emotions that their characters are meant to be experiencing, the author conclude that audiences judge the performance of Method actors more realistic.

Therefore, the assumption is that the behavior conforms to the behavior that is generally associated by audiences with that emotion.

Such kinds of CR question are really hard to read and understand for me.
Any suggestion?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 769 [0]
Send PM
Re: CR Actors [#permalink]
Principle: Judement of realism is based on the degree that the audience associate character behaviors with character emotional states.
Fact: Traditional actors imitate behaviors. Method actors actually experience the emotions of the character.
Conclusion: Audiences will judge method actors to be more realistic.

Ask for assumption.

(A) Performances based on an actor’s own experience of emotional states are more likely to affect an audience’s emotions than are performances based on imitations of the behaviors generally associated with those emotional states.
Talk about affectiveness. Wrong.

(B) The behavior that results when a Method actor feels a certain emotion will conform to the behavior that is generally associated by audiences with that emotion.
Yes.

(C) Realism is an essential criterion for evaluating the performances of both traditional actors and Method actors.
Out of scope.

(D) Traditional actors do not aim to produce performances that are realistic representations of a character’s emotional states.
Wrong focus. They may very well try to be realistic, just that the different approaches make a difference.

(E) In order to portray a character, a Method actor need not have had experiences identical to those of the character portrayed.
Contrary to the passage ("recollection of personal experience"), I believe. Notherless, it has nothing to do with the conclusion.

C,D, E is very easy to be eliminated. The choice between A and B is harder. I would choose B myself.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2918 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
 Q50  V40
Send PM
Re: CR - Stage performances [#permalink]
Kudos
B?
priyankur_saha@ml.com wrote:
I am looking for good explanation. I have the OA...

Stage performances are judged to be realistic to the degree that actors reproduce on stage the behaviors generally associated by audiences with the emotional states of the characters portrayed. Traditional actors imitate those behaviors, whereas Method actors, through recollection of personal experience, actually experience the same emotions that their characters are meant to be experiencing. Audiences will therefore judge the performances of Method actors to be more realistic than the performances of traditional actors.
(A) Performances based on an actor’s own experience of emotional states are more likely to affect an audience’s emotions than are performances based on imitations of the behaviors generally associated with those emotional states. the argument is not about "audience's emotion". It is about their judgement of what is more realistic
(C) Realism is an essential criterion for evaluating the performances of both traditional actors and Method actors. I think the argument is about what is realistic, not whether realism is essential
(D) Traditional actors do not aim to produce performances that are realistic representations of a character’s emotional states. you cant assume this
(E) In order to portray a character, a Method actor need not have had experiences identical to those of the character portrayed. this one is close, but you dont need to assume this for the argument to hold
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 218 [0]
Send PM
Premise: A audience can judge the performance as realistic only if it finds that the emotions expressed matches their perception of the emotion.
Premise: ME(method actors) are actually able to express right emotion.
Conclusion: says that audience judges the performance of ME more realistic.
Predicate 1 :If expressed emotion match with audience(call it X)---> performance realistic
Predicate 2 : ME express emotion
Conclusion: ME express emotion (call it Y)---> performance realistic
Since it is assumption there is only one possibility and hence that possibility is when the following happens
X is same as Y, which is B
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9241 [0]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Expert Reply
botirvoy gives an excellent explanation above - the answer should be B. The key here is recognizing the scope of the argument - it only discusses how audiences evaluate the realism of an actor's performance. Nowhere does it say that realism is actually important to audiences, so C is out. Nor does it talk about how audiences are affected emotionally, so A is out. E is more or less contradicted by the passage - the passage says method actors need to draw on experiences of an emotion to portray that emotion - so it certainly isn't an assumption of the argument. D is also essentially contradicted by the passage.

priyankur_saha@ml.com wrote:
I am looking for good explanation. I have the OA...

Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 127 [1]
Given Kudos: 57
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 4
Send PM
Re: Stage performances are judged to be realistic to the degree that actor [#permalink]
Kudos
anandnk wrote:

Argument - Judging a stage performance to be realistic - when there is a similarity between the emotions experienced by the audience and the emotion portrayed by the actors.
Traditional actor - imitate the emotion , Method actor - experience the emotion on stage
Conclusion - Audience will judge method actor's emotion to be more realistic.

Probable assumption - Method actor will be able to produce the same emotion that the audience experience while viewing the scene

(A) Performances based on an actors own experience of emotional states are more likely to affect an audience's emotions than are performances based on imitations of the behaviors generally associated with those emotional states.
- The culprit is "Affect"
- The argument does not mention the "affect" - whether the affect is positive or negative.
- May be the affect is more on a negative side, alienating the audience from the method actor's performance
- Close but Incorrect

(B) The behavior that results when a Method actor tells a certain emotion will conform to the behavior that is generally associated by audiences with that emotion.
- The argument states that audience will judge a performance realistic when their emotion are reproduced by the actors on stage. This argument was missing in the original passage.
- Correct

- Negate: Realism is not an essential criterion for evaluation.
- First issue - Evaluation by whom? - Critics / audience = Do not know
- Even if it is not an essential criterion what matters is if they can match those emotions with those of the audience.
- Wrong

(D) Traditional actors do not aim to produce performances that are realistic representations of a characters emotional states.
- Their aim is irrelevant.
- Wrong

- This discusses the ability of method actor to portray a character. The argument focuses on the matching of emotional states of actors and audience.
- Irrelevant to some extent.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Send PM
Re: Stage performances are judged to be realistic to the degree that actor [#permalink]
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts