Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Jul 2014, 00:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Stamina

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Schools: CBS, MIT, Kellogg, Wharton
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Stamina [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2007, 19:59
I have been studying since May and I seem to have problems with my stamina... Which kinda makes me feel like an idiot since I have been specifically working on my stamina. I took GMATPrep #1 before I started the whole studying/no-life process and got 690 (Q49,V35). I did not do the AWA. I figured that I need to work on my verbal. So I did. And honestly I feel much more comfortable with all three types of questions. Name a book on verbal - I have gone over it and done all problems.

Two weeks ago I re-took GMATPrep #1. Most of the quant question were different, I don't think I had seen more than 7-8 questions on verbal and needless to say I didn't recognize any of the answers. I got 710 (Q49,V38, did essays), which, imo, considering that I had already taken the test once, doesn't really show that I am making progress, especially on what I have been working mostly - VERBAL.

The thing is, after writing two essays and completing the quant section I just feel exhausted. I am just losing my focus and starting to have a hard time assimilating what I am reading. While SC and most CR problems are short (which to me means: easier to process), long CR and RC are just killing me. I started taking tests just for stamina-building purposes. However, the questions on some of them (Arco/Thomson, 800Score, even Kaplan) are so off the real questions that the whole experience is rather nerve-wrecking than stamina-building:)

I am kinda writing this out of desperation:) When I first started studying I really thought that I might have a shot for a 99 percentile score. I've lost so much confidence that now I would definitelly settle for 700... If you know what I am going through and have any idea how to overcome it, please feel free to share your thoughts with me :)

Thanks!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
familiar story [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2007, 22:06
very familiar story. You saved me some time from typing that whole thing. I seem to be stuck at 680-710 range irrespective of whether I take the MGMAT/PP.

am taking my first GMATPreP tomorrow. But I totally relate with you running out of steam in the verbal section. It sucks :P

Adding this thread to my ever increasing watch list for replies.
CEO
CEO
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 180 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2007, 12:10
Same problem. In fact, I can't imagine anyone who doesn't face this problem. When I get bout halfway through V, I feel dizzy and my head aches.

Are you taking the breaks between the sections? Take 5-10min break btwn AWA's, Quant, and Verbal.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2007, 22:08
Even i had this problem and the breaks came in very handy. On the real test all i did was to go to rest room and splash some cold water on the face and do some stretching exercise. This will surely help to certain extent.
I would suggest one more thing if you are feeling burn out during the test. Take a break of around 30 secs, close your eyes, take a deep breath and say to yourself ' I can do it. I'm the master of my own fate and destiny' ...
Just try it out.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2007, 22:21
trahul4 wrote:
I would suggest one more thing if you are feeling burn out during the test. Take a break of around 30 secs, close your eyes, take a deep breath and say to yourself ' I can do it. I'm the master of my own fate and destiny' ...
Just try it out.

Yaa... right. That's exactly why I am worried about it ;)
Manager
Manager
Schools: CBS, MIT, Kellogg, Wharton

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2007, 08:57
Thanks for the responses.

I do take breaks before sections and I am sure that everybody gets exhausted at some point. I am just a little frustrated because my verbal doesn't seem to be improving even though I've spent more than 3 months studying... We'll see, hopefully things will work out.
  [#permalink] 27 Aug 2007, 08:57