Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Nov 2014, 18:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

stamina conditioning

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [1] , given: 0

stamina conditioning [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2009, 18:15
This post received
KUDOS
I have taken 2 CAT tests so far under simulated conditions along with AWA, timed breaks, etc.
What I have observed is:
- my scores have been consistent for both (MGMAT and GMATprep)
- in verbal, I am running out of time (mostly because of stamina and time management)
I am not necessarily reading slowly.
So, my questions are:
- how can I improve my stamina as I enter into the last phase of GMAT preparation?
- how can I improve time management on V?

-----------------------
tusharvk

Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
VP
VP
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 206 [0], given: 31

Re: stamina conditioning [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2009, 18:25
tusharvk wrote:
I have taken 2 CAT tests so far under simulated conditions along with AWA, timed breaks, etc.
What I have observed is:
- my scores have been consistent for both (MGMAT and GMATprep)
- in verbal, I am running out of time (mostly because of stamina and time management)
I am not necessarily reading slowly.
So, my questions are:
- how can I improve my stamina as I enter into the last phase of GMAT preparation?

get plenty of rest
you'll get the stamina during the exam; adrenaline will help
caffeine

how can I improve time management on V?

Too hard to say as I don't know how you approach the problems. I gave up on that whole outline in the RC and CR. Doesn't work for me as it kills way too much time. But, that's me.
Expert Post
CEO
CEO
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Followers: 378

Kudos [?]: 1920 [0], given: 359

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: stamina conditioning [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2009, 19:10
Expert's post
tusharvk wrote:

- Always practice with timer
- SC is a key, do most of them under 1min and you will get enough time for RC
- no more than 2 min per question, except that you have extra time saved early.

HOT! GMAT TOOLKIT 2 (iOS) / GMAT TOOLKIT (Android) - The OFFICIAL GMAT CLUB PREP APP, a must-have app especially if you aim at 700+ | PrepGame

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 5

Re: stamina conditioning [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2009, 18:01
Hi,

Here are some thoughts on my limited experiences. 3 tests back I could barely handle the time pressure but now I have developed/improved my timing.

Use breaks appropriately - alimentation and hydration are key particularly between the maths and quant. Motivate yourself - look forward to a particular activity post test (tonight im going to have a couple drinks/poker game/dinner with gf) - keep yourself motivated you should be pumped for every SC as its a quick and easy time saver theres gonna be like 17 of them! RCs just feel like your in HBS and you gotta read 4 lousy small 200-500 passages you can definitely do it. Don't look at the 4 hours as a burden look at it from optimistic point of view you trained you practice all the summation of everything is now going to be reflected in this... act like you love it, if you do great if you don't appear like you do. The test taking skills, like other facets of life, acquired so just enjoy it. Just like when you practiced something so much for X amount of time, come performance day (soccer game for example) if you were good and you liked to do it you shined.
As walker suggested, SCs are the key, SCs appear in volume and they can be tackled methodically, confidently, and quickly. They are essential. For CR do you know the strategies, do you map out every argument? Have a fixed approach... read the stem, question, choices... or read question, stem, paraphrase, eliminate, select between 2. Save time by having flexible fixed approaches. Know that for every CR you will adopt a question stem based approach yet have different strategies for weaken, strengthen, paradox, inference... For RC, skim, read, comprehend, always under 3-4 minutes - after all the questions of RC are pretty formulaic in the GMAT so the more you practice the more it becomes second nature. MAP the argument should be more basic than it seems - I think you should have an idea of the reasoning and the chain of ideas but too much details is not necessary as after the questions you will go back (I struggle myself in this area at the moment, so take my suggestions with a grain of salt). The really good thing about RC is its GMACs gift from god after all its fixed bank of questions- the answers are right in front of you( 12-14 of these sounds like business).
If you read here, I find BB time management strategy for verbal very polished: gmat-study-plan-go-from-650-to-80235.html

Hope it helps and great questions. I can certainly improve on both aspects.

All the best,
Jas
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 4

Re: stamina conditioning [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2009, 21:28
tusharvk,

I'll skirt around your question to add my thoughts in slightly different way.

CAT automatically normalizes the difficulty while enforcing the time unlike linear prep material so while stamina is important but in my view keeping a hold per question is an important key.

Its like saying if you are running 3 miles every day; So its given that you have adequate stamina but can you do the same effort without having your favorite music blasting in your ears. And thus my point of music being a trigger to your focus (or for that matter taking your focus away from labor... whichever may be the case).

So in my 0.02 cents; focus per question to get it right no matter how difficult or easy the question builds the score; stamina alone may not...!

Guys your thoughts...!
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 3

Re: stamina conditioning [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2009, 01:13
Hello,

I had the same problem: stamina and time management for verbal.
The second is still an issue and I am following as it is said above.

About the stamina:
- Have a healthy life (eat well, sleep well, do exercises... etc.)
- Snack something in the breaks (I will not recommend anything because it depends entirely on how your body works... so find yourself your best snack)
- Practice in timed environments... your mind and body will get used to it

Good luck!
Re: stamina conditioning   [#permalink] 22 Dec 2009, 01:13