Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Jul 2014, 02:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Standard police procedure requires that an officer interview

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 58

Re: Standard police procedure [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2010, 12:24
swatirpr wrote:
Standard police procedure requires that an officer interview witnesses separately rather than together.

(A) Standard police procedure requires that an officer interview witnesses separately rather than together
I'm not sure if "rather than.." is an idiom but it sounds right. The sentence is to the point and maintains the correct tenses.
(B) A requirement, according to standard police procedure, is that an officer interview witness separately rather than interviewing them together
The pronoun "them" is referring to witness but witness needs to be plural for this sentence to be correct.
(C) Standard police procedure requires an officer to interview witnesses separately rather than to interview them together
"rather than to" is awkward
(D) It is required in standard police procedure that an officer interviews witnesses separately, not together
If witnesses is used than "interview" will need to be the verb.
(E) Standard police procedure requires that an officer interviews witnesses separately rather than together
Interviews witnesses is incorrect. It should be interview witnesses.

My answer was A.

(edit: I didn't even catch the subjunctive like everyone else in this thread. I think the only reason I got this one was because it sounded right.)

I will need to be on the lookout for this type of sentence construction.

I'm trying to not just answer the problem but to explain how I came up with my answer. If I am incorrect or you have a better method please PM me your thoughts. Thanks!

Concentration: Marketing, Other
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GMAT 2: 660 Q V
GPA: 3.64
WE: Accounting (Accounting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 75206

Re: Standard police procedure [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2010, 13:21
Got the same problem to choose between A and C.
Chose A because it was more concise.

Subjonctive required when using the following verbs:
Propose
Require
Request
Recommend
Insist
Suggest
Mandate
Ask
Demand
Manager
Manager
Schools: ISB - Co 2013
WE 1: IT Professional since 2006
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 99 [0], given: 8

GMAT Tests User
Re: Standard police procedure [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2010, 20:50
321kumarsushant wrote:

@vaibhav : we have a reasonable doubt. you cant say whether we 'd be right or wrong until this doubt is clear.
can you tell me, apart from this discussion where can i get the Answer of all posted problems?
your help 'd be really appreciable.

When I am not satisfied with an explanation, I usually search for an explanation on MGMAT's site too and usually get a good explanation. Rarely it also turns out that MGMAT confirms my answer.
However, not being a student of MGMAT, I cant post my doubts there. My access is read-only.

Respect,
Vaibhav

PS: Correct me if I am wrong.

Manager
Manager
WE 1: 5.0

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 315

Re: Standard police procedure [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2010, 21:17
vaibhavtripathi wrote:
321kumarsushant wrote:

@vaibhav : we have a reasonable doubt. you cant say whether we 'd be right or wrong until this doubt is clear.
can you tell me, apart from this discussion where can i get the Answer of all posted problems?
your help 'd be really appreciable.

When I am not satisfied with an explanation, I usually search for an explanation on MGMAT's site too and usually get a good explanation. Rarely it also turns out that MGMAT confirms my answer.
However, not being a student of MGMAT, I cant post my doubts there. My access is read-only.

You can use your email adress to sign up using Mgmat forum. I've used my account when i registered for Mgmat free test to join the forum regularly. I will recommend you to browse some explantions of Ron Purewall, Manhattan staff. His explanation is awesome.

Consider giving me kudos if you find my explanations helpful so i can learn how to express ideas to people more understandable.

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GMAT Date: 08-27-2012
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Manufacturing)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 26

GMAT Tests User
Re: Standard police procedure [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2010, 22:33
what you are saying is "there is no reference which will give the exact correct answer of the asked question"
Explanation is excellent and has to carried out but there has to be sol/Ans for each and every question.

kudos me if you like my post.

Attitude determine everything.
all the best and God bless you.

Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 6

Re: Standard police procedure [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2010, 07:17
Standard police procedure requires that an officer interview witnesses separately rather than together.

(A) Standard police procedure requires that an officer interview witnesses separately rather than together
Correct. Command Subjunctive mood is being used here. USe the same form of verb that is used to give a command: - Officer, interview witnesses seperately rather than together.
(B) A requirement, according to standard police procedure, is that an officer interview witness separately rather
than interviewing them together
multiple problems: 1) long 2) interview should have been interviews 3) witness should have been witnesses
(C) Standard police procedure requires an officer to interview witnesses separately rather than to interview them together
Command subjunctive is required
(D) It is required in standard pole procedure that an officer interviews witnesses separately, not together
awkward
(E) Stanard police procedure requires that an officer interviews witnesses separately rather than together
verb problem- command subjunctive
Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 07-16-2012
GPA: 3.4
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 25

Reviews Badge
Re: Standard police procedure requires that an officer interview [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2011, 22:12
Subjunctive mood plural form of the verb interview is requried. IMO A

-------Analyze why option A in SC wrong-------

Manager
Manager
Schools: Wharton,MIT, Tepper, Kelly,
WE 1: 7 years- Service Managament, poject Management, Business Consultant- Retail

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 22

Reviews Badge
Re: Standard police procedure requires that an officer interview [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2011, 02:00
Confused between A & C.. Went with C .
Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 63

Kudos [?]: 256 [0], given: 109

GMAT Tests User
Re: Standard police procedure requires that an officer interview [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2011, 06:22
+1 A

I think C changes the meaning.

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Standard police procedure requires that an officer interview [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2011, 06:39
Hi All, I am new to community as well in english rules.
Please let me know why it can't be option D?
why we cannot use "interviews witnesses"?
Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 63

Kudos [?]: 256 [0], given: 109

GMAT Tests User
Re: Standard police procedure requires that an officer interview [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2011, 06:49
Navpre wrote:
Hi All, I am new to community as well in english rules.
Please let me know why it can't be option D?
why we cannot use "interviews witnesses"?

Because some verbs, called bossy verbs, require the subjunctive mood:

(bossy verb) + THAT + noun/pronoun + verb (in base form)

You have to memorize the list of bossy verbs. The MGMAT SC book has a good list of them.

Hope it helps.

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V36
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 36

GMAT Tests User
Re: Standard police procedure requires that an officer interview [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2011, 07:03
metallicafan wrote:
+1 A

I think C changes the meaning.

How does C change meaning? Please explain.
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
Schools: Duke '16
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 165 [0], given: 41

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Standard police procedure requires that an officer interview [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2011, 07:36
+ 1 for A. Subjunctive mood for verb "interview"

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
WE: Analyst (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 6

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Standard police procedure requires that an officer interview [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2013, 21:15
I know that i'm replying after ages but couldn't find the explanation i had in mind so putting forth my reason for choosing A between A and C

C changes the meaning of the original sentence .. it says the procedure requires an officer to interview which makes it sound more like a vacancy to be filled .. i choose A as its the subjunctive mood and lays out the authority of the procedure clearly ...
Manager
Manager
WE: Marketing (Manufacturing)

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 15

Re: Standard police procedure requires that an officer interview [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2013, 14:05
Require can go with both subjunctive and infinitive verb form...Both A and C seem to be correct and concise, unless concisation really mean to cut few more words from a sentence....I don't think Gmat will ever require to choose between 2 such options, and if it does it should be debatable
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 58

Re: Standard police procedure requires that an officer interview [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2013, 13:27
There seems to be disagreement on why C is incorrect.

According to the lesson in MGMAT SC guide, "that" is NOT optional in the command subjunctive. Therefore, C is out of the question.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Standard police procedure requires that an officer interview [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2013, 07:56
we can have both 'that' and 'an infinitive' with require.
both A and C are grammatically correct. but A is more concise as the 2nd 'to interview' in C is redundant.
Re: Standard police procedure requires that an officer interview   [#permalink] 07 Dec 2013, 07:56