Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 16:55 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 16:55

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 389 [34]
Given Kudos: 66
Schools:IU KSB
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [6]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 92 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3826 [4]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
Re: Standard police procedure requires that an officer interview witnesses [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
ya very right its A
Command subjunctive for bossy verbs(require,propose etc)
...hence bare form of the verb(interview) without "s" will be used

Example: We Propose that the school band DISBAND
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: PMP
Own Kudos [?]: 250 [4]
Given Kudos: 38
 Q48  V32
Send PM
Re: Standard police procedure requires that an officer interview witnesses [#permalink]
Kudos
for subjunctive mood the verb should be in base form without the to

Originally posted by srini123 on 27 Nov 2009, 21:29.
Last edited by srini123 on 28 Nov 2009, 10:48, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 389 [3]
Given Kudos: 66
Schools:IU KSB
Send PM
Kudos
fall2009 wrote:
Very confused between A and C.
Both A and C are grammatically correct, but I think "Standard police procedure requires to interview" is better than "require that an officer interview".
Because this is a "standard police procedure", a must do, not just a suggestion that officer should do, officers have to do so, so "require to do" is correct.
Hence C.

Yes, I also think they both are grammatically correct but A is more concise.

both 'Require that' and 'Require to' are correct

Require takes either command subjunctive or the infinitive

Require + that + subject + Base Verb (Infinitive without To)
Require + (to + Base Verb)

Thanks everyone :-D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Standard police procedure requires that an officer interview witnesses separately rather than together.
(a) Standard police procedure requires that an officer interview witnesses separately rather than together-->IMO correct

(b) A requirement, according to standard police procedure, is that an officer interview witness separately rather than interviewing them together-->not //

(c) Standard police procedure requires an officer to interview witnesses separately rather than to interview them together--> i can think of the grammar wrong here, i can see only that A is more concise

(d) It is required in standard police procedure that an officer interviews witnesses separately, not together
(e) Standard police procedure requires that an officer interviews witnesses separately rather than together
"Require" is subjunctive V. Therefore, the verb after "require to" or "require that" has to be bare form verb (no -s, no -ed)--> eliminate E,D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 496 [0]
Schools:Columbia, Johnson, Tuck, Stern
Send PM
Can anyone explain why in A, even though the subject " officer" is singular, we can still use a singular verb " interview" rather than " interviews" ?? Thats why i was leaning towards C and E.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 106 [2]
Given Kudos: 315
 Q44  V19 GMAT 2: 570  Q44  V25 GMAT 3: 590  Q48  V23
WE 1: 5.0
Send PM
Kudos
Wayxi wrote:
Can anyone explain why in A, even though the subject " officer" is singular, we can still use a singular verb " interview" rather than " interviews" ?? Thats why i was leaning towards C and E.

if you eliminate some details in this sentence, you will see the structure "require + that + S + Verb" . When you see the structure "require + that + S-V" you should immediately think of subjunctive mood which the Verb will be used in bare infinitive verb.
Ex:
A requires that B interview witnesses separately rather than together. correct
A requires that B interviews witnesses separately rather than together incorrect
Own Kudos [?]: [2]
Given Kudos:
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
WE:Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
Bookmarks
Got the same problem to choose between A and C.
Chose A because it was more concise.

Subjonctive required when using the following verbs:
Propose
Require
Request
Recommend
Insist
Suggest
Mandate
Ask
Demand
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
WE:Analyst (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
I know that i'm replying after ages but couldn't find the explanation i had in mind so putting forth my reason for choosing A between A and C

Standard police procedure requires that an officer interview witnesses separately rather than together.

(A) Standard police procedure requires that an officer interview witnesses separately rather than together
(C) Standard police procedure requires an officer to interview witnesses separately rather than to interview them together

C changes the meaning of the original sentence .. it says the procedure requires an officer to interview which makes it sound more like a vacancy to be filled .. i choose A as its the subjunctive mood and lays out the authority of the procedure clearly ...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 943 [1]
Given Kudos: 410
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V39
WE:General Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Bookmarks
xcusemeplz2009 wrote:
(a) Standard police procedure requires that an officer interview witnesses separately rather than together
(b) A requirement, according to standard police procedure, is that an officer interview witness separately rather than interviewing them together
(c) Standard police procedure requires an officer to interview witnesses separately rather than to interview them together
(d) It is required in standard police procedure that an officer interviews witnesses separately, not together
(e) Standard police procedure requires that an officer interviews witnesses separately rather than together

Require can be used in two ways-

Require that X + subjunctive verb

Require X + infinitive form of verb

A is correct;.
C is correct as far as the idiomatic usage of require is concerned but goes wrong in the latter half with false parallelsim-separately rather than to interview them together
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Expert Reply
The OA is correct and explanations provided in the thread appear sufficient. If there are any specific questions, please post them here and then click again on the "Request Expert Reply" button – closing this request.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3
Send PM
sayantanc2k wrote:
The OA is correct and explanations provided in the thread appear sufficient. If there are any specific questions, please post them here and then click again on the "Request Expert Reply" button – closing this request.

My understanding is that "rather than " is used for comparing clauses or verb,however here noun "together " is used.Please clarify
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [1]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM