Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Aug 2014, 01:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Stanford

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
5 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.3
WE: Project Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Followers: 61

Kudos [?]: 262 [5] , given: 86

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Stanford [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2010, 11:49
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Stanford Graduate School of Business

Rankings (2011 GMAT Club Rankings Table)
Historical GMAT Club Applicant Threads
Popular Links

Current Applicant Thread: Fall 2012 - Calling All Stanford GSB Applicants

Fall 2012 Application Instructions

Round 1 Deadline: 10/12/2011 | Decision Date: 12/14/2011
Round 2 Deadline: 1/11/2012 | Decision Date: 3/28/2012
Round 3 Deadline: 4/4/2012 | Decision Date: 5/16/2012

Quote:
Essay Length

Your answers for all of the essay questions cannot exceed 1,800 words.

You have your own story to tell, so please allocate the 1,800 words among all of the essays in the way that is most effective for you. We provide some guidelines below as a starting point, but you should feel comfortable to write as much or as little as you like on any essay question, as long as you do not exceed 1,800 words total.

• Essay 1: 750 words
  • Essay 2: 450 words
  • Essay 3: 300 words each

Formatting
  • Use a 12-point font, double spaced
  • Recommended fonts are Arial, Courier, and Times New Roman
  • Indicate which essay question you are answering at the beginning of each essay
  • Number all pages
  • Upload all four essays as one document
  • Preview the uploaded document to ensure that the formatting is true to the original
  • Save a copy of your essays

Essays
Essay 1: What matters most to you, and why?
Essay 2: What do you want to do—REALLY—and why Stanford?
Essay 3: Answer two of the four questions below. Tell us not only what you did but also how you did it. What was the outcome? How did people respond? Only describe experiences that have occurred during the last three years.
  • Option A: Tell us about a time when you built or developed a team whose performance exceeded expectations.
  • Option B: Tell us about a time when you made a lasting impact on your organization.
  • Option C: Tell us about a time when you generated support from others for an idea or initiative.
  • Option D: Tell us about a time when you went beyond what was defined, established, or expected.

Recommendation Questions (3 recommenders)
For Your 2 Professional/Workplace recommenders
1. Please comment on the context of your interaction with the applicant. If applicable, briefly describe the applicant's role in your organization.
2. How does the candidate's performance compare to those of other well-qualified individuals in similar roles?
Please describe the most important piece of constructive feedback you have given the applicant. Please detail the circumstances and the applicant's response.
3. Please make additional statements about the applicant's performance, potential, or personal qualities you believe would be helpful to the MBA Admissions Office.

For Your Peer recommender
1. Please comment on the context of your interaction with the applicant. If applicable, briefly describe the applicant's role in your organization.
2. Describe how the candidate has generated support from others for an idea or initiative.
Please describe the most important piece of constructive feedback you have given the applicant. Please detail the circumstances and the applicant's response.
3. Please make additional statements about the applicant's performance, potential, or personal qualities you believe would be helpful to the MBA Admissions Office.

Essay Analysis

GMAT Club Current Students & Alumni

Class Profile and Program Statistics
Full Time MBA Stats
Length of Program21 months
Campus LocationPalo Alto, CA
Average Class Size 397
Average Work Experience 4 Years
Average Age N/A
Median GMAT 730
Average GPA3.66
Female39%
International 37%
GMAT/GRE Both Accepted
Tuition Fees $110,400
Total Est. Cost$174,162

Employment Statistics
Median Base Salary: $125,000
Top Industries: Financial Services (36%), Management Consulting (27%), Technology (13%)
Top Locations: West (44%), International (20%), Northeast (13%)
Number of students starting their own business: 40 (11%)

Top Employers of Recent Graduates: Number of Hires Not Published
List of Top Employers

Curriculum – Notable Features

Tailored Curriculum
Quote:
General Management Perspectives
Your first quarter will begin with General Management Perspectives, a series of courses designed to give you insight into the perspective of a senior manager and leader. Essential to Perspectives is the Critical Analytical Thinking (CAT) seminar, in which a senior faculty member and 16 students analyze, write about, and debate fundamental issues, questions, and phenomena that arise in many forms in management.

General Management Foundations
Toward the end of your first quarter, you and your faculty advisor (who is also your CAT instructor) will develop a personalized plan for your General Management Foundations courses, which will provide the base for your general management education.
In your second quarter, you will begin General Management Foundations. In most cases, you will complete these courses in your third quarter.

Diverse Teaching Methods
Quote:
One Size Does Not Fit All
As part of the Stanford MBA Program, you'll learn in a variety of ways, including case studies, role-plays, and simulations. Because we know that no one approach can effectively address the range of challenges you'll encounter throughout your career, this diverse education is designed to give you the breadth and depth of skills and experience you'll need for success.
We choose the most appropriate method for each subject. For example, a strategy course might use case studies while an accounting course might combine discussions and case studies.
We firmly believe in learning by doing. Being a small program enables us to provide our students with intimate, hands-on learning experiences that give you ongoing opportunities to bridge academic theory and real-world practice.

Teaching Methods
  • Case studies
  • Discussions
  • Face-to-face feedback
  • Learning labs
  • Problem-solving sessions
  • Role-plays
  • Simulations
  • Team projects
  • Theoretical overviews

Global Management Program - Global Management Immersion Experience (GMIX)
Quote:
The Global Management Immersion Experience (GMIX) encourages students to gain international work experience by completing a summer project of a minimum of four weeks in an unfamiliar location outside the United States.
  • Students typically participate in a GMIX between your first and second year of the MBA program, after you have completed your regular eight to ten-week summer internship.
  • In 2010, we supported 91 students who engaged with 66 organizations in 23 countries around the world, including Australia, Brazil, China, India, Kazakhstan, Mexico, New Zealand, Portugal, Singapore, and Switzerland.
  • Company sponsors include organizations in the corporate, government, and NGO settings.
  • You can find GMIX projects in a variety of industries, including consumer products, international development, energy, finance, healthcare, media and entertainment, technology, and telecommunications.
  • Following your participation, you will have the option to complete a research paper on a topic related to your GMIX for one or two units of academic credit.
  • Participation in the GMIX program fulfills the Global Experience Requirement (GER), which you need to complete by the start of your winter quarter in the second year. The GER is a graduation requirement ensuring that every student broadens his/her understanding of the global context of business during the course of the MBA Program through a significant global experience related to the topic of management.

Public Management Program
Quote:
Stanford was the first MBA program to offer a certificate in public management. The GSB has prepared government, nonprofit, and socially responsible business leaders for more than 40 years through the Public Management Program (PMP).

As part of the Center for Social Innovation, the PMP remains the premier program to equip MBA students to apply management skills to social and environmental concerns.
  • Each year, the PMP offers 20-30 electives in public policy, nonprofit management, social and environmental entrepreneurship, corporate social responsibility, philanthropy, and more. These courses highlight collaboration among government, nonprofit, and business entities and explore various paths to creating social and environmental value.
  • In addition to taking elective courses in areas such as public and nonprofit management, social entrepreneurship, international development, environmental sustainability, and philanthropy, you can extend your learning outside the classroom through participation in a variety of domestic and international service learning trips, clubs, conferences and speaker events.

Joint and Dual Degree Programs

The Centers at Stanford GSB

School & Interview Guides

Other Helpful Links and Discussions

Admissions Blog

Student Blogs

Comparison Threads

Social Media & Misc

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Last edited by rasta on 21 Nov 2011, 09:38, edited 6 times in total.
Updated
Veritas Prep GMAT Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Stanford '13 (D)
GPA: 3.11
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 15 [1] , given: 28

Re: Stanford [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2010, 14:56
This post received
KUDOS
Thank you for this detailed post.. +1

Re-taking GMAT. Hope the charm works this time.. :)

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Stanford [#permalink] New post 14 Apr 2011, 12:02
Thanks!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 17

GMAT Tests User
Re: Stanford [#permalink] New post 06 May 2011, 09:17
awesome, great resource!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: Stanford [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2011, 15:41
Thank you!
1 KUDOS received
Stanford Thread Master
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Leadership
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
GPA: 3.5
WE: Business Development (Internet and New Media)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 10 [1] , given: 27

Re: Stanford [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2011, 10:27
This post received
KUDOS
Guys, am I missing something critical here, or are the letters of reference questions listed above way different this year? The Stanford GSB website shows these set of questions:

Questions We Ask Your Recommenders

For Your 2 Professional/Workplace recommenders
2. How does the candidate's performance compare to those of other well-qualified individuals in similar roles?

For Your Peer recommender
2. Describe how the candidate has generated support from others for an idea or initiative.

Source:
http://www.gsb.stanford.edu/mba/admissi ... rence.html

Is the Stanford GSB website info outdated or is the info in this post outdated? Please clarify!!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V40
GPA: 3
WE: Operations (Non-Profit and Government)
Followers: 27

Kudos [?]: 132 [0], given: 286

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Stanford [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2011, 21:54
Prabhakar wrote:
Guys, am I missing something critical here, or are the letters of reference questions listed above way different this year?
Is the Stanford GSB website info outdated or is the info in this post outdated? Please clarify!!

The info re. "questions to references" in this post was outdated. We have now updated it.
Thank you for bringing it to our attention. :)

Net Impact's BUSINESS AS UNUSUAL Guide - a must-read!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance

Re: Stanford [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2011, 07:35
Hello everyone ! im a newbie here ! was baffled a bit ! but came up with some concrete plans ! this is sudhir frm india ,in the final year now ! haven taken the gmat but looking at my prep,i think i can be able to score 700+ , my principal,after he watched me closely,suggested me to go stanford gsb (taking into consideration my extra-curriculars ), n recently i just browsed through ur website n found u even take students frm the college directly
il just list some accomplishements of mine
1)president of student redressal committee of my college
2)organiser of sports in my college
3)captain of my college football team and also a captain of the rfb football club team(dont have a meterial proof though)
4)helped with some infos and solutions for my uncles company(dont wanna reveal the name)
5)volunteered for the most famous india against corruption movement headed by anna hazare
6)will be volunteering for the disaster relief and child education programme shortly
7)took up the task of teaching english to some of my college mates (i was appointed by my principal)
when in the first semester,i faced some situation which so many ppl might not even have thought of , faced mental trauma, was not able to write my first sem exams ,took sometime to recover , and created a record in my college by clearing all the 3rd sem and 1st sem examinations at one shot with a first class %(15 subjects at a go)
although because of that my marks were low (just 60% aggregate in my first and second sems) if u draw a graph of my developement, the line will be in an acclivity ! although by not attempting 1st sem examination,was the least scorer in my class,in the last sem,i topped my college .. . . . looking at all these,my principal suggested my to go for it as he knew that i would be fit for this ! and im a business management grad . currently in the final yr ,with an aggregate of 68(thanks to my first and second sem marks) . . . do u think i need to go for it?
1 KUDOS received
Stanford Thread Master
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Leadership
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
GPA: 3.5
WE: Business Development (Internet and New Media)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 10 [1] , given: 27

Re: Stanford [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2011, 08:06
This post received
KUDOS
sudhirzulu wrote:
Hello everyone ! im a newbie here ! was baffled a bit ! but came up with some concrete plans ! this is sudhir frm india ,in the final year now ! haven taken the gmat but looking at my prep,i think i can be able to score 700+ , my principal,after he watched me closely,suggested me to go stanford gsb (taking into consideration my extra-curriculars ), n recently i just browsed through ur website n found u even take students frm the college directly
il just list some accomplishements of mine
1)president of student redressal committee of my college
2)organiser of sports in my college
3)captain of my college football team and also a captain of the rfb football club team(dont have a meterial proof though)
4)helped with some infos and solutions for my uncles company(dont wanna reveal the name)
5)volunteered for the most famous india against corruption movement headed by anna hazare
6)will be volunteering for the disaster relief and child education programme shortly
7)took up the task of teaching english to some of my college mates (i was appointed by my principal)
when in the first semester,i faced some situation which so many ppl might not even have thought of , faced mental trauma, was not able to write my first sem exams ,took sometime to recover , and created a record in my college by clearing all the 3rd sem and 1st sem examinations at one shot with a first class %(15 subjects at a go)
although because of that my marks were low (just 60% aggregate in my first and second sems) if u draw a graph of my developement, the line will be in an acclivity ! although by not attempting 1st sem examination,was the least scorer in my class,in the last sem,i topped my college .. . . . looking at all these,my principal suggested my to go for it as he knew that i would be fit for this ! and im a business management grad . currently in the final yr ,with an aggregate of 68(thanks to my first and second sem marks) . . . do u think i need to go for it?

(This is actually not the section to post this on, but I believe a moderator can move these 2 posts elsewhere)

Hi Sudhir,

No one can tell you whether you should go for GSB or not, and also whether or not you can get in (except for GSB adcom ofc).

You appear to have some very good EC's, been through some very tough times as well and show academic potential too. So, first go through Stanford's website thoroughly, understand what the GSB is all about, what you can gain from an MBA at GSB, how GSB can help shape your future & what you can give back to the Stanford community.

Do no just apply because your Dean said so, first get to know whether you need an MBA right after graduation (rather than apply after working for a few years), and attend a Stanford session in India if possible to understand why & whether Stanford would be the best fit for your unique profile.

Just my 2¢. Good luck buddy!
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance

Re: Stanford [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2011, 08:51
roger that ! :) ! thanks a ton!
Re: Stanford   [#permalink] 12 Nov 2011, 08:51