Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 22:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Stanford Dhirubhai Reliance Scholarship

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Anderson '17, ISB '16
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 46

GMAT ToolKit User
Stanford Dhirubhai Reliance Scholarship [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2014, 14:44
I am an Indian male.. (non engineer) ..
so to all my folks who are non-engineers.. are we cut off from such scholarships just because we are not from IIT's even if we come up with 750sh GMAT score?
Its a wake up call to ask,say and DO.. can one man rise against all?
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
VP
VP
Followers: 73

Kudos [?]: 449 [0], given: 455

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Stanford Dhirubhai Reliance Scholarship [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2014, 06:19
in short, no. You still have a chance. Check out their criteria - at least for last year, they asked for a short essay, resume, test scores etc.
Intern
Intern

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Stanford Dhirubhai Reliance Scholarship [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2014, 12:02
jumsumtak wrote:
in short, no. You still have a chance. Check out their criteria - at least for last year, they asked for a short essay, resume, test scores etc.

hi,
thanks for the revert. yes, they do have criteria still. whats important here to see is that last year all 5 students selected were from IIT. thats the question.. they select from IIT only?
VP
VP
Followers: 73

Kudos [?]: 449 [0], given: 455

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Stanford Dhirubhai Reliance Scholarship [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2014, 12:09
arjunagarwal88 wrote:
jumsumtak wrote:

hi,
thanks for the revert. yes, they do have criteria still. whats important here to see is that last year all 5 students selected were from IIT. thats the question.. they select from IIT only?

Well, what did you expect? :)

It's a very short application. I don't see any harm in applying. And to be honest, those 5,apart from being in IIT, must have done great things. I happen to know just one of them, and it isn't really a surprise why he was chosen.

good luck.
Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 561 [0], given: 30

Re: Stanford Dhirubhai Reliance Scholarship [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2014, 00:48
Expert's post
It's probably a good opportunity to point out that the majority of Indian candidates accepted to H/S/W come from IIT anyhow, so as jumsumtak wrote, it's REALLY no surprise that they are also getting the scholarships.

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Intern
Intern

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Stanford Dhirubhai Reliance Scholarship [#permalink] New post 01 May 2014, 03:36
JonAdmissionado wrote:
It's probably a good opportunity to point out that the majority of Indian candidates accepted to H/S/W come from IIT anyhow, so as jumsumtak wrote, it's REALLY no surprise that they are also getting the scholarships.

hi,
so as per that none besides so called IIT'ians should even apply for MBA from Ivy schools and never give an initial thought to Stanford Dhirubhai Fellowship..
Is it one should comprehend?
1 KUDOS received
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 324 [1] , given: 191

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Stanford Dhirubhai Reliance Scholarship [#permalink] New post 09 May 2014, 05:08
This post received
KUDOS
You need to realise that 4000 people get into IITs every year. So for 2 years you have 2000 probable applicants (rest go for MS/PhD/IIM/work), out of which at least 200 are applying and from which 50 of these guys would have something like perfect GPAs. To give you an example: One guy was working for Proctor and Gamble prior to his Stanford MBA.
This is the job which top 10% from IIM A, B ,C and few other colleges try to get into. Its not about GMAT score as even the application says its optional. They are asking for 10, 12th Marks, GPA, Work Experience and other awards. If you are exceptional is all of these areas you will be shortlisted. One of my friend from IIT who was working at Goldman Sachs in Options Research and had CFA/FRM was not even shortlisted to apply for Stanford. So you guess an idea about the competition.

The question is not can you rise up to iconic! The real question is will you ?

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Stanford Dhirubhai Reliance Scholarship [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2014, 11:47
AbhiJ wrote:
You need to realise that 4000 people get into IITs every year. So for 2 years you have 2000 probable applicants (rest go for MS/PhD/IIM/work), out of which at least 200 are applying and from which 50 of these guys would have something like perfect GPAs. To give you an example: One guy was working for Proctor and Gamble prior to his Stanford MBA.
This is the job which top 10% from IIM A, B ,C and few other colleges try to get into. Its not about GMAT score as even the application says its optional. They are asking for 10, 12th Marks, GPA, Work Experience and other awards. If you are exceptional is all of these areas you will be shortlisted. One of my friend from IIT who was working at Goldman Sachs in Options Research and had CFA/FRM was not even shortlisted to apply for Stanford. So you guess an idea about the competition.

I seem to have an exactly similar profile to your friend who wasn't even shortlisted. Looks like I am going to follow same fate. BTW can you tell me if he also furnished a gmat score and in what range
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
WE: Asset Management (Investment Banking)

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 1

Re: Stanford Dhirubhai Reliance Scholarship [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2014, 21:40
arjunagarwal88 wrote:
jumsumtak wrote:

hi,

I saw on stanford website a girl was selected for the fellowship who studied at SRCC and then worked at Lehman. So, no, not all IITians are only selected. Now please don't ask why only SRCC...
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 324 [0], given: 191

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Stanford Dhirubhai Reliance Scholarship [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2014, 23:08
viveiitv wrote:
AbhiJ wrote:

I seem to have an exactly similar profile to your friend who wasn't even shortlisted. Looks like I am going to follow same fate. BTW can you tell me if he also furnished a gmat score and in what range

No my friends GMAT was not stellar by Indian standards. He scored a 710. I think GPA plays a major part in Stanford selection. Anything in Top 10% of your department or > 8.5/10 will give you a chance.

The question is not can you rise up to iconic! The real question is will you ?

Re: Stanford Dhirubhai Reliance Scholarship   [#permalink] 12 Jun 2014, 23:08