Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Sep 2014, 13:12

Happy Labor Day:

Free Access to New GMATClub Tests for all GMATClub Members!!

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Stanford GSB 2013 - Calling all Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
3 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q V
GPA: 3.9
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 31 [3] , given: 12

Re: Stanford GSB 2013 - Calling all Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2012, 10:29
This post received
KUDOS
Not giving up hope yet, but it's quickly falling.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
3 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V40
WE: General Management (Computer Software)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 47 [3] , given: 73

Re: Stanford GSB 2013 - Calling all Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2012, 16:54
This post received
KUDOS
cheetarah1980 wrote:
LibertyBell wrote:
Interestingly, some people, whether to console me or because of conviction, blame the application process. That's where I always intervene, because Stanford in particular has been exceedingly friendly throughout, and if my CV or essays aren't good enough, it is nobody's fault but my own.

I would not take not getting in as a message that you weren't good enough to get into Stanford. The majority of applicants are good enough. It's not some science where there is one metric for who's the best and the top 6% get in. It's more nuanced than that.
I would wager that you're CV, scores, and essays are plenty good enough but maybe just not the right fit at this time. There will be people admitted to Stanford with a "better CV" but worse essays or similar CV and just a different background/life experience/future goal that Stanford was more drawn to. Different doesn't mean better. Just because a guy may prefer a blonde to a brunette doesn't make blondes better than brunettes. It just is what it is. You will go to a great school that does prefer what you bring to the table and that's all that matters.

Best wishes.

...Says the woman who crip walked into 3 top 5 programs last year ;)

That was one helluva "nuanced coincidence". The politically incorrect truth is that:

* While none of us should read too much into any single ding, there are reasons that some people get multiple offers from multiple top schools
* Some people will have a harder or easier road to go based on demographic
* Some people will have more information on what to do than others based on their existing network
* Some people's stories will be a hit even when their stats are blah
* All 4 of these are things that we can influence; yet, we cannot create magic without certain raw ingredients
* No one knows for certain what all those raw ingredients are, but we can look at people who have been successful in the past and interpolate rather reasonably.
* This process sucks
* Yet, it tends to be worth it for many
* Not so much for others
* It's a gamble either way

===============
2015 Wharton MBA Candidate
http://www.mbaover30.com - Affordable MBA Admissions Consulting

3 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 770 Q V
GPA: 3.9
WE: Other (Investment Banking)

Kudos [?]: 12 [3] , given: 0

Re: Stanford GSB 2013 - Calling all Applicants [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2013, 16:54
This post received
KUDOS
I received an invite yesterday. East coast applicant. First one of the year and I was dinged w/o interview by Harvard R1. Pretty happy but nervous at the same time
3 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
GPA: 4
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [3] , given: 0

Re: Stanford GSB 2013 - Calling all Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2013, 05:51
This post received
KUDOS
for the lady/gentleman reducing most of the applicants to 2 words consulting & IB and calling us boring, here is a tip that I got from multiple GSB alumni:
Stanford admits individuals, not profiles. The diversity that the GSB looks for is across multiple levels which includes leadership style, life ambitions, and motivations in addition to WE.
Not to be insensitive to your wait but you should really spend some time to reflect on why you want to shell out 200K on an MBA that promotes its peer-teaching environment given that a significant portion of the class will come from these backgrounds that you are calling boring...
3 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 8 [3] , given: 0

Re: Stanford GSB 2013 - Calling all Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2013, 09:29
This post received
KUDOS
called the admin office today and they confirmed rolling out interview invites until 2 weeks prior to March.27th.
3 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.5
WE: General Management (Real Estate)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 11 [3] , given: 0

Re: Stanford GSB 2013 - Calling all Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2013, 10:25
This post received
KUDOS
Hi all, I just got my Gsb invite as well. My stats are just 680 gmat and 3.5 gpa from Usc applying out of Vietnam so really, not only those with high stats get the invite. Good luck to you all!
3 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [3] , given: 0

Re: Stanford GSB 2013 - Calling all Applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2013, 09:57
This post received
KUDOS
:lol: finally my turn....got an invite.
3 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.5

Kudos [?]: 21 [3] , given: 0

Re: Stanford GSB 2013 - Calling all Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2013, 12:20
This post received
KUDOS
That joint MBA/MS in computer science email they just sent was somewhere between evil and sadistic...

2 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V49

Kudos [?]: 15 [2] , given: 1

Re: Stanford GSB 2013 - Calling all Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2012, 01:31
This post received
KUDOS
Maybe I can help you guys with some of your stress with the Stanford e-mails :

The mails like the ones we just recieved about the class statistics comes from mba.admissions@gsb... whereas the interview invitation comes from interview@gsb... and the title of the e-mail is "Stanford MBA Program Invitation to Interview"

Maybe you can set up a filter/alert?

Hope this helps

Siris
2 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V49

Kudos [?]: 15 [2] , given: 1

Re: Stanford GSB 2013 - Calling all Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2012, 03:14
This post received
KUDOS
Was interviewed as well a couple days ago :

The interview was in three parts, the first consisted of going through my resume and asking questions about it (especially my work experience), the second was the part where he asked the classic "Tell me about a time when..." questions, and the last part was just an open discussion.

The questions I got were :
Why MBA?
Why Stanford?
Tell me about a time when you experienced great leadership.
Tell me about a time when you experienced terrible leadership.
Three strengths and three weaknesses.
What fascinates you?

The alumi was rather stern during the first two parts, he really opened up at the end.
2 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Healthcare
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 29 [2] , given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Stanford GSB 2013 - Calling all Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2012, 11:07
This post received
KUDOS
moskovybuz wrote:
Puyallup wrote:
I fear that, as we are now much nearer to the decision date than the application date, if you haven't heard back yet, your chances do not look good. Sadly, I am in that boat.

NEW RULE: No more whining and posting useless, baseless conjecture- especially wild speculation about how many decisions have or have not gone out. It's pathetic.

If you receive (or have received) an interview, that's fantastic, congratulations! :-D Please do share with us your details.

However, if you have not, and have nothing to offer this forum, then refrain from posting. It helps no one, and irritates everyone.

Thank you.

Half of everything is luck- and the other half, fate.

Seriously - Stanford is notoriously opaque about this process. Relax people.
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.66

Kudos [?]: 7 [2] , given: 2

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Stanford GSB 2013 - Calling all Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2012, 21:53
This post received
KUDOS
Received an interview invite yesterday. I was pleasantly surprised, mainly because by commonly held beliefs I'm much too old. I applied to Stanford anyway because if you look at class profiles of work experience they usually have at least one person in mid to late 30's (or they admit people who started working at age 12). I'm in California (Oakland), 750 GMAT and a 3.66 GPA in Engineering. I don't want to share more because I know firsthand how easy it is to talk yourself out of having hope. At this point, I'm glad I didn't listen to that pessimist inside me and went through the application process. I submit to each of you that going through applying is worth it regardless of the outcome.

Now I intend to be me in the interview, and if I'm not admitted, that's OK... I will know I was true to myself and did my best. I'm not going to hand over the keys to my life to a potential decision from Stanford, and my advice as an "old dude" is that you each do the same.

Have a great weekend!

Last edited by HomeportAK on 17 Nov 2012, 06:29, edited 1 time in total.
2 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Strategy

Kudos [?]: 29 [2] , given: 9

Re: Stanford GSB 2013 - Calling all Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2012, 13:15
This post received
KUDOS
kmcduw wrote:
anonymous2012 wrote:
How about this: if you are going to get an invite, there is a 100% chance Stanford will tell you about it between now and December 12th.

14%/7%/1%/0%, it's all irrelevant.

It is relevant. As my expectation of going to business school rises, my propensity to do certain things around home such as purchase new furniture that would be difficult to move or renew college football season tickets declines.

You are right. I can see how knowing the difference between a 3% chance of an invite that carries under a 50% admittance chance or a 7% chance of an interview that carries under a 50% admittance chance is very relevant in the decision to buy furniture and football tickets in the next three weeks.
2 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.41
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 131 [2] , given: 78

Premium Member
Re: Stanford GSB 2013 - Calling all Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2012, 15:21
This post received
KUDOS
You already made your decision based on the probability you saw for yourself in being accepted. You believe you had a chance, like all of us, and applied. Your probability of admission is more or less the same as when you applied.

Go take a spa day.

Blogging about the MBA application process. Because I need to do something with all this bschool energy.
http://www.mybreakaway.com/ Recent post: September 20, "Transitions"

Yale School of Management MBA Candidate, 2015.

2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship
Schools: Stanford '15 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q48 V49
GPA: 3.89

Kudos [?]: 5 [2] , given: 1

Re: Stanford GSB 2013 - Calling all Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2012, 16:15
This post received
KUDOS
Wow. I got the invite today. I thought their offices were closed! I am beside myself with happiness right now, even though I know there's still less than a 50% chance after this stage. But so excited!
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [2] , given: 3

Re: Stanford GSB 2013 - Calling all Applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2012, 12:18
This post received
KUDOS
pike wrote:
exoniensis wrote:
When does the adcom call those who are getting admitted? The day before the official notification date?

Thanks!

I did some analysis from previous years' threads. It looks like calls start about 15-17 hours before deadline.

In previous years decisions were released at 9am Stanford Time on D-day, and calls started around 4-5pm Stanford time the night before. Looks like the calls follow the sun, east to west, starting in Asia.

D-day could not come sooner as far as I am concerned!

Can someone please set up a track Santa type app that shows us which time zone should be receiving calls during each hour leading up to 9am Stanford time?
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Sustainability, Marketing
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 3 [2] , given: 4

Re: Stanford GSB 2013 - Calling all Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2012, 04:51
This post received
KUDOS
Got the call!!!!!!!!!!

OMG screamed so loudly the whole office knows now

Profile - Female, India, Tech sales

Congrats to everyone who got in and all the best to everyone else (rooting for you all!!)
2 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 13 [2] , given: 2

Re: Stanford GSB 2013 - Calling all Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2012, 06:37
This post received
KUDOS
I just got in! European male here.
2 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 13 [2] , given: 2

Re: Stanford GSB 2013 - Calling all Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2012, 07:39
This post received
KUDOS
Congrats to those who got in, good luck to those still waiting to hear!

For those who got the call, drop me a pm and we can connect on facebook!
2 KUDOS received
Current Student
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V46
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 81 [2] , given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: Stanford GSB 2013 - Calling all Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2012, 13:18
This post received
KUDOS
My phone just rang.

Number was blocked. Caller was Derrick Bolton.

I am IN and in a state of shock!

I am in Australasia.

My Debrief

Re: Stanford GSB 2013 - Calling all Applicants   [#permalink] 11 Dec 2012, 13:18