Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Sep 2014, 22:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Stanford GSB 2013 - Calling all Applicants

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Expert Post
VP
VP
avatar
Status: Yale SOM!
Joined: 06 Feb 2012
Posts: 1251
Location: United States
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Followers: 34

Kudos [?]: 411 [0], given: 245

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Stanford GSB 2013 - Calling all Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2012, 15:53
Expert's post
vivekvasireddy wrote:
I am planning to apply for R2 and need some inputs........what awards & honors do Indian students typically report ?


What awards have you earned/received since college? You should focus on crafting your own story in Stanford's (or any school's) application.

Also, I don't think anybody would have stats on awards/honors that Indian applicants report; neither would have we have that information for any other nationality's applicants.
_________________

aerien

Why Yale | My Advice For Younger Applicants

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
avatar
Joined: 23 Aug 2012
Posts: 84
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.18
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 12

Reviews Badge
Re: Stanford GSB 2013 - Calling all Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2012, 13:42
thebdouglas wrote:
esdykes wrote:
DreamerfromPQ wrote:
I am hanging the gloves on Stanford. Hopefully other schools come through. For some reason I always thought that HBS was harder to get in than Stanford. I know Stanford has a lower acceptance rate but i just thought it was due to small size more than anything.


What makes you say that Stanford is harder than HBS?

I don't think you can compare response rates from candidates between the two schools because they conduct the application process very differently.


Well, maybe that Stanford accepts half the percentage that Harvard does and still maintains a higher GPA and GMAT.....Easy enough.


Ah - okay. I thought you were saying this based only on response rates in the forum, which didn't quite add up for me. Agree on actual stats but I still wonder if that has to do with smaller class size. In either case - both are fantastic schools.
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 29 Sep 2012
Posts: 76
Location: United States
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
GPA: 3.66
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 2

Re: Stanford GSB 2013 - Calling all Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2012, 13:53
esdykes wrote:
DreamerfromPQ wrote:
I am hanging the gloves on Stanford. Hopefully other schools come through. For some reason I always thought that HBS was harder to get in than Stanford. I know Stanford has a lower acceptance rate but i just thought it was due to small size more than anything.


What makes you say that Stanford is harder than HBS?

I don't think you can compare response rates from candidates between the two schools because they conduct the application process very differently.


Well, maybe that Stanford accepts half the percentage that Harvard does and still maintains a higher GPA and GMAT.....Easy enough.[/quote]

Ah - okay. I thought you were saying this based only on response rates in the forum, which didn't quite add up for me. Agree on actual stats but I still wonder if that has to do with smaller class size. In either case - both are fantastic schools.[/quote]

Most definitely has to do with class size...Stanford's is fairly small for top programs, yet they still attract far more applicants than any program near their size. If HBS cut their class in half they would still likely get 7,000+ apps and have a similar admit % to GSB. However, GSB has the smaller class and a crazy high # of apps so they can still pick and choose their students a little more closely. Both are great programs and both admit quite different students (with some overlap)....I myself got dinged at HBS but was interviewed @ GSB (+ Haas & Anderson) and am hoping for an admit.
Expert Post
VP
VP
avatar
Status: Yale SOM!
Joined: 06 Feb 2012
Posts: 1251
Location: United States
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Followers: 34

Kudos [?]: 411 [0], given: 245

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Stanford GSB 2013 - Calling all Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2012, 16:03
Expert's post
R1-ers awaiting decisions and R2/R3 applicants planning ahead -- here's some info about application notifications and decision notifications. NOTE: Based on this, it does not sound like any decisions will be released, via phone or otherwise, before the decision notification date (for R1 that's December 12). Good luck everyone!

When you submit your application via Hobson's ApplyYourself, you will receive an immediate message thanking you for your submission. Your application status in Hobson's ApplyYourself shows as "Submitted." Approximately two weeks after the application deadline, all applications are marked "Under Review." You will be contacted via email by our office if you are invited to interview; your application status will remain "Under Review." On the decision notification date, you will receive an email that the decision on your application has been posted. You will be directed to log into your Hobson's ApplyYourself account, where you will see your decision letter.

Source: http://stanford.edu/group/mba/blog/
_________________

aerien

Why Yale | My Advice For Younger Applicants

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 27 Nov 2012
Posts: 16
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Stanford GSB 2013 - Calling all Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2012, 16:17
aerien wrote:
R1-ers awaiting decisions and R2/R3 applicants planning ahead -- here's some info about application notifications and decision notifications. NOTE: Based on this, it does not sound like any decisions will be released, via phone or otherwise, before the decision notification date (for R1 that's December 12). Good luck everyone!

When you submit your application via Hobson's ApplyYourself, you will receive an immediate message thanking you for your submission. Your application status in Hobson's ApplyYourself shows as "Submitted." Approximately two weeks after the application deadline, all applications are marked "Under Review." You will be contacted via email by our office if you are invited to interview; your application status will remain "Under Review." On the decision notification date, you will receive an email that the decision on your application has been posted. You will be directed to log into your Hobson's ApplyYourself account, where you will see your decision letter.

Source: http://stanford.edu/group/mba/blog/



My app never changed to under review on Hobsons. Did others?
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 23 Aug 2012
Posts: 84
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.18
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 12

Reviews Badge
Re: Stanford GSB 2013 - Calling all Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2012, 16:20
thebdouglas wrote:
Both are great programs and both admit quite different students (with some overlap)....I myself got dinged at HBS but was interviewed @ GSB (+ Haas & Anderson) and am hoping for an admit.


100% agree. I'm actually in the opposite boat. Eternal wait for Stanford, but interviewed at HBS (+Darden & LBS). Hoping for an invite from HBS. In hind-sight, I can definitely see that my style and therefore essays were much more HBS than Stanford material. Only wish I had realized that before submitting!
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 28 Jun 2012
Posts: 75
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.85
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 14

Re: Stanford GSB 2013 - Calling all Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2012, 16:35
esdykes wrote:
thebdouglas wrote:
Both are great programs and both admit quite different students (with some overlap)....I myself got dinged at HBS but was interviewed @ GSB (+ Haas & Anderson) and am hoping for an admit.


100% agree. I'm actually in the opposite boat. Eternal wait for Stanford, but interviewed at HBS (+Darden & LBS). Hoping for an invite from HBS. In hind-sight, I can definitely see that my style and therefore essays were much more HBS than Stanford material. Only wish I had realized that before submitting!


How would you differentiate the styles for HBS and Stanford? Just wondering what to expect for GSB application in R2. How did you realize that these styles are so different?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 27 Nov 2012
Posts: 16
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Stanford GSB 2013 - Calling all Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2012, 16:51
Has anyone heard from the joint MA Education/MBA?
Current Student
avatar
Status: Yale! (whipped and bound)
Joined: 02 May 2012
Posts: 404
Location: United States (CA)
Concentration: Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.41
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 131 [0], given: 78

Premium Member
Re: Stanford GSB 2013 - Calling all Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2012, 17:02
beefyg wrote:
Has anyone heard from the joint MA Education/MBA?


I haven't. Who else applied and hasn't heard? I like to pretend that the reason I haven't heard yet is because they save us for last...
_________________

Blogging about the MBA application process. Because I need to do something with all this bschool energy.
http://www.mybreakaway.com/ Recent post: September 20, "Transitions"

Yale School of Management MBA Candidate, 2015.

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 27 Nov 2012
Posts: 16
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Stanford GSB 2013 - Calling all Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2012, 17:06
machichi wrote:
beefyg wrote:
Has anyone heard from the joint MA Education/MBA?


I haven't. Who else applied and hasn't heard? I like to pretend that the reason I haven't heard yet is because they save us for last...



I like to pretend that too, but it sounds like nothing has gone out in 1 week which is just a general bad sign
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 29 Sep 2012
Posts: 76
Location: United States
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
GPA: 3.66
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 2

Re: Stanford GSB 2013 - Calling all Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2012, 17:35
aerien wrote:
R1-ers awaiting decisions and R2/R3 applicants planning ahead -- here's some info about application notifications and decision notifications. NOTE: Based on this, it does not sound like any decisions will be released, via phone or otherwise, before the decision notification date (for R1 that's December 12). Good luck everyone!

When you submit your application via Hobson's ApplyYourself, you will receive an immediate message thanking you for your submission. Your application status in Hobson's ApplyYourself shows as "Submitted." Approximately two weeks after the application deadline, all applications are marked "Under Review." You will be contacted via email by our office if you are invited to interview; your application status will remain "Under Review." On the decision notification date, you will receive an email that the decision on your application has been posted. You will be directed to log into your Hobson's ApplyYourself account, where you will see your decision letter.

Source: http://stanford.edu/group/mba/blog/


I thought this was said almost every year, yet calls still went out. Can anyone confirm whether it was stated that notifications would be done via email or web, yet calls still went out in the past?
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 08 Jan 2009
Posts: 334
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V46
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 81 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: Stanford GSB 2013 - Calling all Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2012, 17:42
Calls will still go out for sure

Posted from my mobile device Image
_________________

My Debrief

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 17 Oct 2012
Posts: 5
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
Schools: Stanford '15 (S)
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V46
GPA: 3.7
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Stanford GSB 2013 - Calling all Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2012, 21:09
beefyg wrote:
machichi wrote:
beefyg wrote:
Has anyone heard from the joint MA Education/MBA?


I haven't. Who else applied and hasn't heard? I like to pretend that the reason I haven't heard yet is because they save us for last...



I like to pretend that too, but it sounds like nothing has gone out in 1 week which is just a general bad sign


I also applied for the joint MA/MBA degree and have not heard anything. I'd be surprised if they saved any category of applicants until this late in the game though. Hope I'm wrong.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 27 Nov 2012
Posts: 16
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Stanford GSB 2013 - Calling all Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2012, 21:35
I like to pretend that too, but it sounds like nothing has gone out in 1 week which is just a general bad sign[/quote]

I also applied for the joint MA/MBA degree and have not heard anything. I'd be surprised if they saved any category of applicants until this late in the game though. Hope I'm wrong.[/quote]


Now there are three. Comeon anyone out there want to kill our hope with an MA/GSB invite.
3 KUDOS received
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 23 Aug 2012
Posts: 84
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.18
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 67 [3] , given: 12

Reviews Badge
Re: Stanford GSB 2013 - Calling all Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2012, 22:02
3
This post received
KUDOS
KillerApp wrote:
esdykes wrote:
thebdouglas wrote:
Both are great programs and both admit quite different students (with some overlap)....I myself got dinged at HBS but was interviewed @ GSB (+ Haas & Anderson) and am hoping for an admit.


100% agree. I'm actually in the opposite boat. Eternal wait for Stanford, but interviewed at HBS (+Darden & LBS). Hoping for an invite from HBS. In hind-sight, I can definitely see that my style and therefore essays were much more HBS than Stanford material. Only wish I had realized that before submitting!


How would you differentiate the styles for HBS and Stanford? Just wondering what to expect for GSB application in R2. How did you realize that these styles are so different?


Others can chime in here but at a very superficial level, HBS focuses more on you as an individual leader and what you have overcome to achieve results through teams. You can see this in their essays: what have you done well. What do you wish you had done better? Both focused on me the individual.

Stanford in the other hand is looking for people that feel a deeper connection to improving the world through their leadership. It's similar but different from achieving results. This is reflected in the essay prompt of what matters most to you. Also, I think their tag line sums it up well - ending with change the world.

I'm not passing judgement on which is better, instead I think it's more a question of what drives you at your core that pushes you to achieve great things. It's a bit hard to describe, but this is at least my attempt. I would also throw out there that this is not 100% true but more of a general trend.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 19 Nov 2012
Posts: 3
Schools: Stanford '15 (I)
GMAT 1: Q49 V41
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Stanford GSB 2013 - Calling all Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Dec 2012, 08:22
beefyg wrote:
Comeon anyone out there want to kill our hope with an MA/GSB invite.


I'm applying to the MA Ed. + MBA and was invited to interview in early November.
International applicant (South America), WE in mgmt consulting + government.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 27 Nov 2012
Posts: 16
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Stanford GSB 2013 - Calling all Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Dec 2012, 08:25
jtjtjt wrote:
beefyg wrote:
Comeon anyone out there want to kill our hope with an MA/GSB invite.


I'm applying to the MA Ed. + MBA and was invited to interview in early November.
International applicant (South America), WE in mgmt consulting + government.


Hopes appropriately dashed. Whats the rest of your profile look like?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 27 Nov 2012
Posts: 16
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Stanford GSB 2013 - Calling all Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Dec 2012, 09:26
Is it just me or did anyone else's status change to under review on applyyourself. I could have missed this in the past but I think it just happened.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 23 Oct 2012
Posts: 11
Location: United States
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.4
WE: Corporate Finance (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 9

Re: Stanford GSB 2013 - Calling all Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Dec 2012, 10:09
beefyg wrote:
Is it just me or did anyone else's status change to under review on applyyourself. I could have missed this in the past but I think it just happened.

I now see the following, though I may have just missed it earlier:

"Your application is complete and currently under review."

My Submission Status still shows as "Submitted".
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 05 Nov 2012
Posts: 22
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship
Schools: Stanford '15 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q48 V49
GPA: 3.89
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: Stanford GSB 2013 - Calling all Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Dec 2012, 10:19
Mine now also says under review. It only recently changed because I checked last week after interviewing and it still only said submitted.
Re: Stanford GSB 2013 - Calling all Applicants   [#permalink] 04 Dec 2012, 10:19
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Calling all Stanford GSB Applicants 2017 scorehigh800 2 06 Jun 2014, 17:17
30 Stanford GSB: Class of 2017 - Calling All Applicants! jdharris 73 16 May 2014, 06:37
658 Experts publish their posts in the topic Stanford GSB Calling all applicants for Class of 2016! azowu 1255 21 Apr 2013, 00:25
246 Experts publish their posts in the topic Stanford GSB 2013 - Calling all Applicants str1der 1066 08 Jun 2012, 20:56
114 Experts publish their posts in the topic Stanford 2012 - Calling All Applicants whiplash2411 921 06 Jun 2011, 12:13
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Stanford GSB 2013 - Calling all Applicants

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  16   17   18   19   20   21   22  ...  54    Next  [ 1067 posts ] 

Moderators: DefyingGravity, missxmelon



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.