Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 16:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Stanford GSB 2013 - Calling all Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.18
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 67 [1] , given: 12

Reviews Badge
Re: Stanford GSB 2013 - Calling all Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2012, 19:44
This post received
KUDOS
I'm loving the fact that no one in my office knows that I applied for this very reason. I think it helps remove some of the pressure.

Beat the GMAT forum has also been quiet. However, I think this is the case when you are talking about a top school that just doesn't interview that many people. I mean - take a look at the Harvard R1 interview stats (22 interviews ~9%). I think this are a bit more reliable because people have had time to update (if they plan to) where as, it's harder to get a read when the invite trickles out. You're excited, but the forum is kind of slow.

I'm still hopeful for all of us though. Impressive stats and still SEVERAL weeks to go!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
Schools: Ross '16
GMAT 1: 740 Q V0
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 10 [1] , given: 0

Re: Stanford GSB 2013 - Calling all Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2012, 23:34
This post received
KUDOS
HomeportAK wrote:
Received an interview invite yesterday. I was pleasantly surprised, mainly because by commonly held beliefs I'm much too old. I applied to Stanford anyway because if you look at class profiles of work experience they usually have at least one person in mid to late 30's (or they admit people who started working at age 12). I'm in California (Oakland), 750 GMAT and a 3.66 GPA in Engineering. I don't want to share more because I know firsthand how easy it is to talk yourself out of having hope. At this point, I'm glad I didn't listen to that pessimist inside me and went through the application process. If submit to each of you that going through applying is worth it regardless of the outcome.

Now I intend to be me in the interview, and if I'm not admitted, that's OK... I will know I was true to myself and did my best. I'm not going to hand over the keys to my life to a potential decision from Stanford, and my advice as an "old dude" is that you each do the same.

Have a great weekend!

Dreams do come true :)

Wish u all the very best!!!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q V0
GPA: 3.52
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 0

Re: Stanford GSB 2013 - Calling all Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2012, 12:32
This post received
KUDOS
xnormjeanx wrote:
Why am I here reading this? It's torture.

Stanford is the only school I applied to (I know, ridiculous, but it's the only school I was passionate about) and now I'm just going to feel like shit for the next few months.

Hey. Be positive. There's still some time left. And, even if you don't get admitted, you can still pursue your dreams - and the same holds true for any one of us on here. Sure, we might be disappointed in getting denied at some place we poured our hearts into, via time spent studying for the GMAT, essay questions, etc. But let's move on, be positive, and focus on the things we can control - our lives.

-SeasaltNPepper
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V45
GPA: 3.71
WE: Accounting (Accounting)

Kudos [?]: 12 [1] , given: 0

Re: Stanford GSB 2013 - Calling all Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2012, 23:53
This post received
KUDOS
Despite the fact that there is no official driving variable behind an invite or going out or not, every day we are correct to be more pessimistic about being invited. Every time that someone else is invited, it consumes an interview spot, thereby reducing the number of spots by one and the number of people seeking spots by one. If we were to be invited, we would be told so immediately. However, if we were to be rejected, we are not told so until the entire invitation period ends. As a result, odds decline over time. If invitations are issued linearly from the application deadline to one week before notification, our odds would look something like this:

10/3/12
~1000 invitations to be distributed
~7000 applicants
=14% chance of being invited to interview

11/19/12
~254 invitations to be distributed
~6254 applicants yet to be invited
=4% chance of being invited

12/5/12
0 invitations to be distributed
~6000 applicants yet to be invited
=0% chance of being invited
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 3

Re: Stanford GSB 2013 - Calling all Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2012, 07:31
This post received
KUDOS
xnormjeanx wrote:
siris wrote:
The official driving variable for the order of the invites is the order of the files being read (if you want another confirmation look at yesterday's post on their admissions blog). Therefore you have two cases :
- Your file has been read and you don't have an invitation : 0 % (+ waitlist odds)
- Your file has not been read and you don't have an invitation (obviously) : 14 % (+ waitlist odds)

Its as simple as that.

Sure, but the two cases have different probabilities. Before any applications have been reviewed, there's a 100% chance of being in the second scenario, thus 14% chance. After all applications have been reviewed, there's a 100% chance of being in the first scenario, thus a 0% chance.

As we get later in the cycle and more applications have been reviewed, the likelihood of being in the first scenario outweighs the likelihood of being in the second scenario. So the odds kmcduw put out there are actually right.

The probability function is actually very simple: It is the probability that your application has not yet been reviewed times the probability of any given application getting an invite (14%). So that the start you have 100% x 14% = 14%. At the end you have 0% x 14% = 0%. If you think half have been looked at and you haven't heard you have 50% x 14% = 7%. And so on.

I know you guys are all implying this, but thought I would just spell it out for anyone who was interested.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 720 Q47 V41
WE: Law (Non-Profit and Government)

Kudos [?]: 38 [1] , given: 38

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Stanford GSB 2013 - Calling all Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2012, 09:41
This post received
KUDOS
anonymous2012 wrote:
How about this: if you are going to get an invite, there is a 100% chance Stanford will tell you about it between now and December 12th.

14%/7%/1%/0%, it's all irrelevant.

It's the aftermath of GMAT I guess. ;)
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Re: Stanford GSB 2013 - Calling all Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2012, 10:54
This post received
KUDOS
anonymous2012 wrote:
How about this: if you are going to get an invite, there is a 100% chance Stanford will tell you about it between now and December 12th.

It is relevant. As my expectation of going to business school rises, my propensity to do certain things around home such as purchase new furniture that would be difficult to move or renew college football season tickets declines.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Re: Stanford GSB 2013 - Calling all Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2012, 15:06
This post received
KUDOS
anonymous2012 wrote:
kmcduw wrote:
anonymous2012 wrote:

It is relevant. As my expectation of going to business school rises, my propensity to do certain things around home such as purchase new furniture that would be difficult to move or renew college football season tickets declines.

You are right. I can see how knowing the difference between a 3% chance of an invite that carries under a 50% admittance chance or a 7% chance of an interview that carries under a 50% admittance chance is very relevant in the decision to buy furniture and football tickets in the next three weeks.

Initial expectation of an interview is 14%, not 7%.

Yes, my personal anecdote re: a decision on whether to renew my season tickets by last Friday's deadline was not material, but there are other deadlines that are. Let's consider an applicant who is considering submitting a round 2 application to Haas (due 11/29/12):

In this case, the applicant experiences the following possible outcomes:

Admission to both schools: 1%
Admission to Stanford and not Haas: 6%
Admission to Haas and not Stanford: 11%
Admission to neither: 82%

But if the odds of admission to Stanford are reduced to 2% based on my analysis above, the outcomes change to:

Admission to both schools: 0%
Admission to Stanford and not Haas: 2%
Admission to Haas and not Stanford: 12%
Admission to neither: 86%

So in essence, there is a marginal increase of 1% in the student's probability of ultimately attending Haas. If we presume that the value of the MBA to be the simple sum of the increase in applicant salary for the number of post-MBA years worked**, the value of the Haas MBA is $88,819/year for 35 years to retirement, or $3,108,665. 1% of that would be $30,109, so the yet-to-be-invited applicant should be that much more interested in applying to Haas than before.

*I'm well aware that there is probably some co-variance between admission to various schools. I've never seen a good study on it, so we will have to just assume that there isn't any.
**This would require wage growth to equal the discount rate, which, although not necessarily accurate, is reasonable.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.41
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 132 [1] , given: 78

Premium Member
Re: Stanford GSB 2013 - Calling all Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2012, 15:08
This post received
KUDOS
The point he was making was to stop obsessing. It's a meaningless pursuit and the statistical probability doesn't mean you should adjust your behavior or thinking.

Blogging about the MBA application process. Because I need to do something with all this bschool energy.
http://www.mybreakaway.com/ Recent post: September 20, "Transitions"

Yale School of Management MBA Candidate, 2015.

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q V0
GPA: 3.52

Re: Stanford GSB 2013 - Calling all Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2012, 15:26
This post received
KUDOS
kmcduw wrote:
I would say that EVERY decision should be made based on its statistical support.

I don't know man. (woman?). This admissions process, just like dating, is far too subjective to put effort into doing any sort of mathematical analysis. A lot of what is involved on the adcoms' part is intuition, gut, and an overall sense for how attractive a person's candidacy is - which is not always quantifiable. Just do the best you can in your apps, apply to where you want to go, and that's it.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: Stanford '15 (S)

Re: Stanford GSB 2013 - Calling all Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2012, 16:01
This post received
KUDOS
Quote:
Initial expectation of an interview is 14%, not 7%.

Yes, my personal anecdote re: a decision on whether to renew my season tickets by last Friday's deadline was not material, but there are other deadlines that are. Let's consider an applicant who is considering submitting a round 2 application to Haas (due 11/29/12):

In this case, the applicant experiences the following possible outcomes:

Admission to both schools: 1%
Admission to Stanford and not Haas: 6%
Admission to Haas and not Stanford: 11%
Admission to neither: 82%

But if the odds of admission to Stanford are reduced to 2% based on my analysis above, the outcomes change to:

Admission to both schools: 0%
Admission to Stanford and not Haas: 2%
Admission to Haas and not Stanford: 12%
Admission to neither: 86%

So in essence, there is a marginal increase of 1% in the student's probability of ultimately attending Haas. If we presume that the value of the MBA to be the simple sum of the increase in applicant salary for the number of post-MBA years worked**, the value of the Haas MBA is $88,819/year for 35 years to retirement, or $3,108,665. 1% of that would be $30,109, so the yet-to-be-invited applicant should be that much more interested in applying to Haas than before.

*I'm well aware that there is probably some co-variance between admission to various schools. I've never seen a good study on it, so we will have to just assume that there isn't any.
**This would require wage growth to equal the discount rate, which, although not necessarily accurate, is reasonable.

Wow...this just doesn't appear to be a valuable use of time. There is a point were the formal analysis ends and sense kicks in. No class, not even at Stanford, can teach you where that line is.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 720 Q47 V41
WE: Law (Non-Profit and Government)

Kudos [?]: 38 [1] , given: 38

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Stanford GSB 2013 - Calling all Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2012, 11:15
This post received
KUDOS
OK, people who submitted for R1, who else got a heart attack after reading the sender and the first three words of the subject line of today's e-mail reminder about Round 2 deadlines? :lol:
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship
Schools: Stanford '15 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q48 V49
GPA: 3.89

Kudos [?]: 5 [1] , given: 1

Re: Stanford GSB 2013 - Calling all Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2012, 14:18
This post received
KUDOS
Although I was in the same position losing hope not long ago, looking at last year's posts there do seem to continue to be interview invites going into early December. They'll just have to finish those interviews in a shorter time frame. Not all hope is lost for those waiting.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 44 [1] , given: 33

Re: Stanford GSB 2013 - Calling all Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2012, 04:42
This post received
KUDOS
My status too read 'Your application is currently under review.' Not invited to interview yet. I think adcom just realized they hadn't updated status as was stated in their Dec 03rd admissions blog!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
Schools: Stanford '15
GMAT 1: 760 Q59 V45
GPA: 3.99
WE: Accounting (Aerospace and Defense)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 5

Re: Stanford GSB 2013 - Calling all Applicants [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2012, 07:48
This post received
KUDOS
truth. happened to my friend last year.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Stanford '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.51
WE: Project Management (Military & Defense)

Re: Stanford GSB 2013 - Calling all Applicants [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2012, 12:04
This post received
KUDOS
DreamerfromPQ wrote:
I heard rumors that people get interviews in the days immediately before the decision deadline and then get in, either on the deadline or a couple of days after. Does anyone know if this is true or is it just a rumor.

Thank you

It was maybe 2-3 days, but a friend of mine had something like this happen to him last year.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V46
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 88 [1] , given: 7

Re: Stanford GSB 2013 - Calling all Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2012, 18:11
This post received
KUDOS
philosophy99 wrote:
I think decisions are posted at 5PM PST on Wednesday:

"We will post decisions to your ApplyYourself account by 5:00 PM Pacific Time on the decision date for the round in which you applied."

They say that, but in the past, decisions get released in the morning. I imagine its to prevent the office being inundated with calls from people trying to check their status...

My Debrief

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 30 [1] , given: 17

Re: Stanford GSB 2013 - Calling all Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2012, 18:52
This post received
KUDOS
LET THE WEEK OF RECKONING BEGIN!!!!!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: Stanford GSB 2013 - Calling all Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2012, 12:09
This post received
KUDOS
MrAlpaca wrote:
philosophy99 wrote:
good luck to all! =)

For those of us who haven't gotten an interview invite... Lets keep our heads up! Still more time.

Don't think I agree here. The time has passed
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: Stanford GSB 2013 - Calling all Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2012, 04:46
This post received
KUDOS
Hi people...this is Richa from India...I also got a call from Derick..Stanford..yaey :)
Re: Stanford GSB 2013 - Calling all Applicants   [#permalink] 11 Dec 2012, 04:46