Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Aug 2014, 05:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Stanford GSB 2013 - Calling all Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V46
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 80 [1] , given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: Stanford GSB 2013 - Calling all Applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2013, 13:36
This post received
KUDOS
djy2378 wrote:
ukhanna wrote:
djy2378 wrote:
No. Don't think about it.

Thanks for your response. But why do you say that? Is it applicable even if I have a fairly unique international profile? I plan to apply together with my wife.

International intake happen in Round 1 and Round 2. And with no offense, most applicants to the GSB are self-selected as having unique profiles. And applying with your wife would not help either, because you are going to take two spots out of an already extremely limited intake. R3 intake happens domestically also for visa reasons. You will not have enough time to settle down everything. So instead of wasting your chance on a R3 this year, think about R1 for the next year--if you are really serious about GSB. Because if you failed this year in R3 and apply for R1 the next admission cycle, they will treat your application as a reapplication. They won't care which round you didn't it, and that won't help you. So, think carefully before you make that application, and don't spoil your chance on a R3 app.

OK I'm sure you intentions are good, but there is a lot of misinformation in this post. It's important not to simply repeat 'conventional forum wisdom' as if it is true, when it has been directly contradicted by statements from the school.

- most applicants to the GSB are self-selected as having unique profiles
What does this mean? You still have to apply and get in. You can't self-select admission.

- International intake happen in Round 1 and Round 2 ... R3 intake happens domestically also for visa reasons.
Says who? Internationals can and do get in in R3 - it is not domestics only. Sure, as an international you might have to work fast to get a visa, but I do not believe that the schools make R3 decisions based on this.

- Because if you failed this year in R3 and apply for R1 the next admission cycle, they will treat your application as a reapplication.
Of course they will treat you as a reapplicant, you are one! But you are assuming that this is some sort of kiss of death. Stanford is reapplicant friendly (as in fact are most schools). There are plenty of reapplicants to top schools gaining admissions on these forums.

In fact, what you have said is directly contradicted from Stanford's admissions blog:

"So the real question to ask yourself is when do you want to enroll? If the answer is September 2009, then you should apply now in Round 3. If you’re admitted, great. If not, then you’re in a better position for September 2010 having already begun the self-reflection process for your first-round application."
- http://www.stanford.edu/group/mba/blog/ ... und_3.html

Long story short, if you have a competitive profile apply. If you don't get in, you can reapply next year.

My Debrief

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Stanford GSB 2013 - Calling all Applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2013, 20:17
I think the original responder was just saying that ueber-competitive profiles are, by definition, very rare, so think extra-hard about applying in Round 3. That sounds like a pretty fair response to a question that asked for an opinion.
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 12 [2] , given: 19

Re: Stanford GSB 2013 - Calling all Applicants [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2013, 02:05
This post received
KUDOS
Indeed all top US B schools claim they are reapplicants freindly, but I don't think that is really the case. Otherwise they wouldn't ask the question "Have you previously applied and what's the result." Official blog statements are just there to serve PR purposes only. Of course they will always encourage reapplications: it makes schools look better, have larger application volumes therefore lower acceptance rate, and more application fees:-) I just think applicants shouldn't take official statement too seriously sometimes.

From a pure psychological perspective, who wants to override one's own decision in the first place? If you reapply after two or three years, maybe they will give your app a serious look. But if your reapplication is only made less than a year after a ding, don't think that will be the case.

In addition, I have never heard of an admission offer to an Indian student in India in R3. R3 offer to Indian students yes, but already US based.

Just a thought.

Last edited by djy2378 on 14 Feb 2013, 02:17, edited 2 times in total.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 18 [1] , given: 9

Re: Stanford GSB 2013 - Calling all Applicants [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2013, 02:15
This post received
KUDOS
Well I think you have to show why your candidacy has improved between two applications. It can take three years or it can take a year it depends on you and your experiences. I think that reapplication if backed up with serious arguments why you are a stronger candidate now can be a positive thing. It shows a dedication to a school and persistence. This process is too complex to have any binary situation.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Sustainability, General Management
Schools: Stanford '15 (S)
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V47
GPA: 3.97
WE: Business Development (Non-Profit and Government)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Stanford GSB 2013 - Calling all Applicants [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2013, 08:06
Cerasi wrote:
BuilderSF wrote:
I heard a rumor that interview invites were sent out alphabetically by last name. Does anyone know if there's any truth to that?

I got my interview email on Feb. 1, and my last name is in the last 1/4th of the alphabet. So unless you want to start speculating about reverse-alphabetical order, I'd say you're best off believing that it really is random...

How did your interview go Cerasi? Any questions you weren't expecting?
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Economics, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.76
WE: Analyst (Other)

Kudos [?]: 20 [1] , given: 11

Re: Stanford GSB 2013 - Calling all Applicants [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2013, 08:18
This post received
KUDOS
The whole story is getting ridiculous...where are all the invites?
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 770 Q48 V51
GPA: 3.88
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 17 [1] , given: 14

Re: Stanford GSB 2013 - Calling all Applicants [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2013, 11:07
This post received
KUDOS
katang wrote:
How did your interview go Cerasi? Any questions you weren't expecting?

I think it went well, although it wasn't what I was expecting overall. I'd prepared for a bunch of behavioral questions, but I think I was only asked two: a success-type story and a failure-type story. The interviewer broke in a lot and took the conversation in a different direction frequently, so I didn't get to tell complete stories. All of the "big" questions were very predictable, but the follow-ups were very pointed and specific--not things I could have prepared for.

We talked a lot about topics that weren't directly related to my experiences or future plans, which I assume was either to see if I seemed like an overall intelligent person, or because the interviewer just liked talking about those things. Unless I've just totally forgotten, I also don't think they ever specifically asked why I wanted to go to Stanford / get an MBA, so I had to work that into various tangents.

Basically, I came away from it feeling like the interviewer just wanted to talk to me and see if I seemed like a normal person who could converse intelligently on a range of topics, including my field of interest.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V41
GPA: 4

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 57

Re: Stanford GSB 2013 - Calling all Applicants [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2013, 13:58
Is Stanford even sending the invite?? I dont see beside handfull of people declaring they got the invite. What is happening- either people are not reporting or Stanford is not sending it. So people what it is ? Any guesses?
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Healthcare, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.75
WE: Analyst (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 13 [1] , given: 6

Re: Stanford GSB 2013 - Calling all Applicants [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2013, 14:37
This post received
KUDOS
Just got my interview invite!!! Am thrilled, especially after my HBS ding last week!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: Stanford GSB 2013 - Calling all Applicants [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2013, 16:06
yoginijenn wrote:
Just got my interview invite!!! Am thrilled, especially after my HBS ding last week!

congrats! did you get it through email? :)
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 6

Re: Stanford GSB 2013 - Calling all Applicants [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2013, 16:20
Yep! Email came at 4:07 CST today!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 14

Re: Stanford GSB 2013 - Calling all Applicants [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2013, 16:52
yoginijenn wrote:

Congrats! :-D

Also, random, but I noticed that you and I are in exactly the same boat regarding both the schools we've applied to and the decisions we've gotten so far... Weird! Anyhow, good luck!
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 6

Re: Stanford GSB 2013 - Calling all Applicants [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2013, 16:57
Cerasi wrote:
yoginijenn wrote:

Congrats! :D

Also, random, but I noticed that you and I are in exactly the same boat regarding both the schools we've applied to and the decisions we've gotten so far... Weird! Anyhow, good luck!

So funny - clearly HBS is missing out on both of us :) What's your background/geography? I'm at an MBB in the Midwest.

Best of luck to you, too!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 8

Re: Stanford GSB 2013 - Calling all Applicants [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2013, 16:59
yoginijenn wrote:

Congrats! This is fantastic news! Best of luck to your interviews!

And hope the rest of us waiting also get some good news soon...
Intern
Intern

Re: Stanford GSB 2013 - Calling all Applicants [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2013, 17:01
yoginijenn wrote:
So funny - clearly HBS is missing out on both of us :) What's your background/geography? I'm at an MBB in the Midwest.

Best of luck to you, too!

Haha, definitely! I'm in the Midwest also, and I work in public sector consulting.
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V46
GPA: 3.94
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)

Kudos [?]: 10 [2] , given: 0

Re: Stanford GSB 2013 - Calling all Applicants [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2013, 17:09
This post received
KUDOS
Received an invite as well. Came in about 530 ET today (I'm domestic). They're only just starting to pick up. I know current students who got invites as late as March 14 (equivalent), so unfortunately it's just a long waiting game... Best of luck to everyone.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 19

Re: Stanford GSB 2013 - Calling all Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2013, 02:36
yoginijenn wrote:
Cerasi wrote:
yoginijenn wrote:

I'll think again the common belief that GSB steal a large portion of HBS admit...So it is possible they really have different eyes for candidates?
Intern
Intern

Re: Stanford GSB 2013 - Calling all Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2013, 05:10
djy2378 wrote:
I'll think again the common belief that GSB steal a large portion of HBS admit...So it is possible they really have different eyes for candidates?

Alright, this made me wonder... Apparently, they are looking for different things in some cases. But here are the numbers, according to poetsandquants (I added the "not enrolled" line")

Stanford

Applicants: 7,204
Accepted: 488
% Accepted: 6.8%
Enrolled: 389
Not enrolled: 99
Yield: 79.7%

Harvard
Applicants: 9,524
Accepted: 1,071
% Accepted: 11.2%
Enrolled: 903
Not enrolled: 168
Yield: 84.3%

Stanford's not going to steal a huge portion of anything, because it's just too small, but assuming that all 168 of the people that turned down HBS went to Stanford, that would be around 19% of HBS's admits.

However, what's perhaps more interesting is that both schools together got a total of 267 not-enrolleds. Assuming that all refusals to one of these schools was to go to the other one (not true, of course, but as a very rough estimate), that would mean that only 267 people got into both schools--which would be 55% of Stanford's admits and 25% of HBS's. So a lot more Stanford admits would have been accepted at HBS than vice versa... but 45% still wouldn't have. (Unless I've done something crazy with my math here.) Food for thought?

ETA: This of course has very little bearing on anyone's chances of getting into both if they apply to both, since the people who apply to one definitely don't always apply to the other. Just talking about how much overlap there would be at the end of the day.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 19

Re: Stanford GSB 2013 - Calling all Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2013, 06:00
Cerasi wrote:
djy2378 wrote:

ETA: This of course has very little bearing on anyone's chances of getting into both if they apply to both, since the people who apply to one definitely don't always apply to the other. Just talking about how much overlap there would be at the end of the day.

You are awesome! :clap:
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 8

Re: Stanford GSB 2013 - Calling all Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2013, 16:10
djy2378 wrote:

I'll think again the common belief that GSB steal a large portion of HBS admit...So it is possible they really have different eyes for candidates?[/quote]

Just looking at my friends around me, it does appear that way.... Most people I know got accepted/ interviewed by Harvard but did not even get an invite from Stanford...
Re: Stanford GSB 2013 - Calling all Applicants   [#permalink] 15 Feb 2013, 16:10