Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 14:54 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 14:54

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
WE:Project Management (Real Estate)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Economics, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.76
WE:Analyst (Other)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [0]
Given Kudos: 78
Concentration: Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.41
Send PM
Re: Stanford GSB 2013 - Calling all Applicants [#permalink]
ti6r0u8ny wrote:
BuilderSF wrote:
I heard a rumor that interview invites were sent out alphabetically by last name. Does anyone know if there's any truth to that?

Would those invited to interview be able to provide: last name initial, as well as time of day your email was received (with time zone)? Seems the reported invites are still very few, but a couple data points might help confirm this. Would also be useful to understand if there is one time of day they blast the emails (to limit the constant email refreshing)! Thanks!

I promise there is not. The admissions committee has said it a million times: there is no order to the application reads. Even if they read them alphabetically, sometimes they put an application to the side and come back to it once they've read more submissions. So even if there was an order, it's disrupted by their jumping back and forth to revisit applicants they had on the margin.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
ukhanna wrote:
djy2378 wrote:
ukhanna wrote:
Are there any chances of getting through in Round 3 for an Indian?

No. Don't think about it.

Thanks for your response. But why do you say that? Is it applicable even if I have a fairly unique international profile? I plan to apply together with my wife.

International intake happen in Round 1 and Round 2. And with no offense, most applicants to the GSB are self-selected as having unique profiles. And applying with your wife would not help either, because you are going to take two spots out of an already extremely limited intake. R3 intake happens domestically also for visa reasons. You will not have enough time to settle down everything. So instead of wasting your chance on a R3 this year, think about R1 for the next year--if you are really serious about GSB. Because if you failed this year in R3 and apply for R1 the next admission cycle, they will treat your application as a reapplication. They won't care which round you didn't it, and that won't help you. So, think carefully before you make that application, and don't spoil your chance on a R3 app.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 96
Send PM
Wow... looking at last year's thread was not encouraging... looks like they had few r2 invites... and they kept rolling out slowly until March 7th or so... In speaking with admissions, I was told most invitations will be sent by Mar 13th which is consistent... I guess this won't be as active a thread as some of the other top schools... Best of luck to everyone and maybe ease up on checking in on this one in particular... We've got a month before making a real yes/no judgment call.

Columbia gets my deposit money until then... (due next week)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
I think the original responder was just saying that ueber-competitive profiles are, by definition, very rare, so think extra-hard about applying in Round 3. That sounds like a pretty fair response to a question that asked for an opinion.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Concentration: Sustainability, General Management
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V47
GPA: 3.97
WE:Business Development (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Cerasi wrote:
BuilderSF wrote:
I heard a rumor that interview invites were sent out alphabetically by last name. Does anyone know if there's any truth to that?

I got my interview email on Feb. 1, and my last name is in the last 1/4th of the alphabet. So unless you want to start speculating about reverse-alphabetical order, I'd say you're best off believing that it really is random...

How did your interview go Cerasi? Any questions you weren't expecting?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V41
GPA: 4
Send PM
Is Stanford even sending the invite?? I dont see beside handfull of people declaring they got the invite. What is happening- either people are not reporting or Stanford is not sending it. So people what it is ? Any guesses?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Send PM
yoginijenn wrote:
Just got my interview invite!!! Am thrilled, especially after my HBS ding last week!

congrats! did you get it through email? :)
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Healthcare, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.75
WE:Analyst (Consulting)
Send PM
Yep! Email came at 4:07 CST today!
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 14
GMAT 1: 770 Q48 V51
GPA: 3.88
Send PM
yoginijenn wrote:
Just got my interview invite!!! Am thrilled, especially after my HBS ding last week!

Congrats! :-D

Also, random, but I noticed that you and I are in exactly the same boat regarding both the schools we've applied to and the decisions we've gotten so far... Weird! Anyhow, good luck!
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Healthcare, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.75
WE:Analyst (Consulting)
Send PM
Cerasi wrote:
yoginijenn wrote:

Congrats! :D

Also, random, but I noticed that you and I are in exactly the same boat regarding both the schools we've applied to and the decisions we've gotten so far... Weird! Anyhow, good luck!

So funny - clearly HBS is missing out on both of us :) What's your background/geography? I'm at an MBB in the Midwest.

Best of luck to you, too!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
yoginijenn wrote:

Congrats! This is fantastic news! Best of luck to your interviews!

And hope the rest of us waiting also get some good news soon...
Intern
Intern
Send PM
yoginijenn wrote:
So funny - clearly HBS is missing out on both of us :) What's your background/geography? I'm at an MBB in the Midwest.

Best of luck to you, too!

Haha, definitely! I'm in the Midwest also, and I work in public sector consulting.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
yoginijenn wrote:
Cerasi wrote:
yoginijenn wrote:

I'll think again the common belief that GSB steal a large portion of HBS admit...So it is possible they really have different eyes for candidates?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
djy2378 wrote:
I'll think again the common belief that GSB steal a large portion of HBS admit...So it is possible they really have different eyes for candidates?

Alright, this made me wonder... Apparently, they are looking for different things in some cases. But here are the numbers, according to poetsandquants (I added the "not enrolled" line")

Stanford

Applicants: 7,204
Accepted: 488
% Accepted: 6.8%
Enrolled: 389
Not enrolled: 99
Yield: 79.7%

Harvard
Applicants: 9,524
Accepted: 1,071
% Accepted: 11.2%
Enrolled: 903
Not enrolled: 168
Yield: 84.3%

Stanford's not going to steal a huge portion of anything, because it's just too small, but assuming that all 168 of the people that turned down HBS went to Stanford, that would be around 19% of HBS's admits.

However, what's perhaps more interesting is that both schools together got a total of 267 not-enrolleds. Assuming that all refusals to one of these schools was to go to the other one (not true, of course, but as a very rough estimate), that would mean that only 267 people got into both schools--which would be 55% of Stanford's admits and 25% of HBS's. So a lot more Stanford admits would have been accepted at HBS than vice versa... but 45% still wouldn't have. (Unless I've done something crazy with my math here.) Food for thought?

ETA: This of course has very little bearing on anyone's chances of getting into both if they apply to both, since the people who apply to one definitely don't always apply to the other. Just talking about how much overlap there would be at the end of the day.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Cerasi wrote:
djy2378 wrote:

ETA: This of course has very little bearing on anyone's chances of getting into both if they apply to both, since the people who apply to one definitely don't always apply to the other. Just talking about how much overlap there would be at the end of the day.

You are awesome! :clap:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
djy2378 wrote:

I'll think again the common belief that GSB steal a large portion of HBS admit...So it is possible they really have different eyes for candidates?[/quote]

Just looking at my friends around me, it does appear that way.... Most people I know got accepted/ interviewed by Harvard but did not even get an invite from Stanford...
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Concentration: Healthcare
Send PM
There is some overlap but not as much as people think.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  35   36   37   38   39   40   41  ...  54   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts