Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 16:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Stanford GSB 2013 - Calling all Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V36
GPA: 3.8
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 4

Re: Stanford GSB 2013 - Calling all Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Mar 2013, 11:39
Just a regular but reapplicant.

hern007 wrote:
oogjersey, are you are regular or consortium candidate. You have a really good interview record!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Stanford GSB 2013 - Calling all Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Mar 2013, 12:24
Pashya wrote:
onlyaks wrote:
My uncle (alum of GSB - provided in form) received a post from admissions in early Feb.

Does this mean that my application was reviewed in early Feb.? Did anyone else's family members receive such letters? I am still eagerly waiting for an interview invite.

I'm curious to know what they asked him. Were they just verifying his relation to you?

Yes. I guess. Mostly. It was a letter suggesting that I have applied. Anyone has clue whether it means that my application is already reviewed?
Expert Post
VP
VP
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 244

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Stanford GSB 2013 - Calling all Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Mar 2013, 12:53
Expert's post
onlyaks wrote:
Pashya wrote:
onlyaks wrote:
My uncle (alum of GSB - provided in form) received a post from admissions in early Feb.

Does this mean that my application was reviewed in early Feb.? Did anyone else's family members receive such letters? I am still eagerly waiting for an interview invite.

I'm curious to know what they asked him. Were they just verifying his relation to you?

Yes. I guess. Mostly. It was a letter suggesting that I have applied. Anyone has clue whether it means that my application is already reviewed?

No idea how Stanford reviews family members/legacy. It's probably a good sign though...legacy usually helps at any school.

aerien

Why Yale | My Advice For Younger Applicants

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: Stanford GSB 2013 - Calling all Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Mar 2013, 20:07
@ ooqjersey ...did u get an invite as reapplicant?...same boat here...

Posted from my mobile device Image
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V41
GPA: 4

Kudos [?]: 16 [1] , given: 57

Re: Stanford GSB 2013 - Calling all Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Mar 2013, 21:17
This post received
KUDOS
This statement from aerien confuses me, why anybody's legacy should benefit them in admission. How does it matter that your uncle or your father being the alumni makes you a better candidate. It's your own personal
Candidacy that should matter. If any school gives undue advantage to any candidate because of their legacy then it's discriminatory and gross injustice to us who have no uncles and father from Stanford to back them up.
Intern
Intern

Re: Stanford GSB 2013 - Calling all Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Mar 2013, 21:24
Does the status of your application change after you receive the interview invite?

Anvesh
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Economics, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.76
WE: Analyst (Other)

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 11

Re: Stanford GSB 2013 - Calling all Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2013, 00:22
Truegmat wrote:
This statement from aerien confuses me, why anybody's legacy should benefit them in admission. How does it matter that your uncle or your father being the alumni makes you a better candidate. It's your own personal
Candidacy that should matter. If any school gives undue advantage to any candidate because of their legacy then it's discriminatory and gross injustice to us who have no uncles and father from Stanford to back them up.

That's a cruel world.
This is an institutional matter. It's easier to let someone you believe to approve the person, that to take additional risk of admitting a bad/average guy. All elite communities have been formed this way for centuries.
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
WE: Project Management (Real Estate)

Kudos [?]: 29 [2] , given: 9

Re: Stanford GSB 2013 - Calling all Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2013, 02:42
This post received
KUDOS
Truegmat wrote:

Dont Worry!!!

You'll create a legacy for your generations ahead.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing
GPA: 3.66
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 7

Re: Stanford GSB 2013 - Calling all Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2013, 05:44
Truegmat wrote:

Or aunts or mothers? (women have been at GSB since it started)

I am a legacy as well (don't hate me)... the letter the alumni get says that legacy admit rate is twice that of non-legacy, but that said they still do not admit 85-90% of legacies.
Expert Post
VP
VP
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 244

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Stanford GSB 2013 - Calling all Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2013, 06:33
Expert's post
equestrian wrote:
Truegmat wrote:

I am a legacy as well (don't hate me)... the letter the alumni get says that legacy admit rate is twice that of non-legacy, but that said they still do not admit 85-90% of legacies.

From an undergrad admissions perspective, most everyone knows that being legacy helps -- especially at certain schools (for California, Stanford and USC stand out to me). I assume the same holds true for grad school; it might not be as big of a factor but it certainly doesn't hurt.

aerien

Why Yale | My Advice For Younger Applicants

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V42
GPA: 3.9
WE: Corporate Finance (Venture Capital)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 2

Re: Stanford GSB 2013 - Calling all Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2013, 09:49
Tired of Waiting :(
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 17

Re: Stanford GSB 2013 - Calling all Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2013, 10:00
havnt heard ANYTHING at all

i guess that means we're out ?
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 760 Q V

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 5

Re: Stanford GSB 2013 - Calling all Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2013, 14:29
This post received
KUDOS
equestrian wrote:
Truegmat wrote:

Sure, I can accepted that from Columbia...or Harvard maybe. But not from Stanford and its halo of supreme justice. "You can fool all the people some of the time, and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time."
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V40

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: Stanford GSB 2013 - Calling all Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2013, 15:10
Salvo81 wrote:
equestrian wrote:
Truegmat wrote:

Sure, I can accepted that from Columbia...or Harvard maybe. But not from Stanford and its halo of supreme justice. "You can fool all the people some of the time, and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time."

Stanford still dings big alumni kids - I heard Schwabs kid was rejected...doubt Harvard or Columbia would do that.
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V40

Kudos [?]: 7 [2] , given: 0

Re: Stanford GSB 2013 - Calling all Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2013, 15:18
This post received
KUDOS
No one is hearing ANYTHING???!

I think Stanford should make their class size bigger! :)
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 96

Re: Stanford GSB 2013 - Calling all Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2013, 19:22
WillTravelForMBA wrote:

Yea... I'm thinking that's a wrap for this round... Good luck all on your other schools
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V41
GPA: 4

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 57

Re: Stanford GSB 2013 - Calling all Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2013, 20:24
old1442 wrote:
WillTravelForMBA wrote:

Yea... I'm thinking that's a wrap for this round... Good luck all on your other schools

I would wait for couple of more days to believe that.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.9
WE: Analyst (Investment Banking)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: Stanford GSB 2013 - Calling all Applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2013, 03:35
Looong stupid wait for nothing
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Operations
GMAT 1: 690 Q V0
GMAT 2: 700 Q0 V0
WE: Engineering (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 7

Re: Stanford GSB 2013 - Calling all Applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2013, 10:42
Quite a few people have reported getting their interview invites in the comments section, but have not reported it in the data table. Additionally, I agree with what others are suspecting as well on the forum of some people who have received their invites did not update their profile. If Stanford admits 40-50% of candidates they have interviewed then approx 17% (based on last year's admit rate of 7%) of the applicant pool should have got their invite. Even with a 3-5% sample error, the number of interview invites is still low. Anywayz, who knows....except for the admission committee themselves as to what is cooking
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 13 [1] , given: 11

Re: Stanford GSB 2013 - Calling all Applicants [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2013, 13:17
This post received
KUDOS
As far as the sample goes, I think those of us who are still waiting are more inclined to actively check the forums and keep our information up to date. I'd guess that many more folks have gotten interview invites than have reported receiving them.
Re: Stanford GSB 2013 - Calling all Applicants   [#permalink] 14 Mar 2013, 13:17