Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 11 Jul 2014, 06:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Stanford GSB 2013 - Calling all Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
6 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V42
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 148 [6] , given: 27

GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Stanford GSB 2013 - Calling all Applicants [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2012, 20:56
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Stanford University - Graduate School of Business – Class of 2015 (Matriculating 2013)

Stanford Applicant Summary (Real Time)

Quick Glance: GMAT Club vs. Latest Intake (Class of 2013)

GMAT Club's Real-time Admissions Statistics

Latest GMAT Club Member Profile Updates

Detailed Applicant List:Add Yourself to This List (add Stanford to your profile)

Add Your Profile to This List
Questions about this Roll Call?

INFORMATION - APPLICATION FOR CLASS OF 2015

Application Deadlines for Class of 2015

Round 1 Apply by: 3 Oct 2012 Decision by: 12 Dec 2012
Round 2 Apply by: 9 Jan 2013 Decision by: 27 Mar 2013
Round 3 Apply by: 3 Apr 2013 Decision by: 15 May 2013

Applications and Letters of Reference are due by 5:00 PM, Pacific Time on the deadline date
Application Fee: $265
No decisions will be released in person or via telephone - all of them will be uploaded to your account on the day of decisions

Essay Questions

Essays required for all applicants:

Essay 1: What matters most to you, and why?
Essay 2: What do you want to do—REALLY—and why Stanford?
Essay 3: Answer one of the three questions below. Only describe experiences that have occurred during the last three years.

Option A: Tell us about a time in the last three years when you built or developed a team whose performance exceeded expectations.
Option B: Tell us about a time in the last three years when you identified and pursued an opportunity to improve an organization.
Option C: Tell us about a time in the last three years when you went beyond what was defined or established.

Your answers for all of the essay questions cannot exceed 1,600 words.

Formatting Guidelines

Use a 12-point font, double spaced
    Recommended fonts are Arial, Courier, and Times New Roman
    Indicate which essay question you are answering at the beginning of each essay (this does not count towards the 1,600 word limit).
    Number all pages; Upload all three essays as one document

Recommendations
Total of Three Recommendations

- Two Professional/Workplace References: You must obtain at least one recommendation from your current direct supervisor.
- One Peer Reference: An individual with whom you have worked on a team or on a project, in a position equal to your own, should complete this recommendation.

Recommendation Questions

Professional/Workplace recommenders

Please comment on the context of your interaction with the applicant. If applicable, briefly describe the applicant's role in your organization.
Please describe a time when the applicant changed your thinking or actions.
Please describe the most important piece of constructive feedback you have given the applicant. Please detail the circumstances and the applicant's response.
Please make additional statements about the applicant's performance, potential, or personal qualities you believe would be helpful to the MBA Admissions Office.

For Your Peer recommender
Please comment on the context of your interaction with the applicant. If applicable, briefly describe the applicant's role in your organization.
Please describe a time when the applicant changed your thinking or actions.
Please describe the most important piece of constructive feedback you have given the applicant. Please detail the circumstances and the applicant's response.
Please make additional statements about the applicant's performance, potential, or personal qualities you believe would be helpful to the MBA Admissions Office.

More Information: http://www.gsb.stanford.edu/mba/admission

Class of 2013 - Class Profile

Total MBA Enrollment 397
Applications 6,618
% Admitted 6.8%
Yield 80% (Estimated) Link: http://poetsandquants.com/2011/05/02/st ... ase-yield/

GMAT Range 530-790
GMAT Average 730
Average Years of Work Experience: 4

Previous Industry Experience
    Biotech/Health Care 4%
    Cleantech/Energy/Environmental 6%
    Consulting 17%
    Consumer Products & Services 7%
    Entertainment/Media 5%
    Financial Services 12%
    Government/Military/Non-Profit 13%
    High Tech 10%
    Manufacturing 4%
    Other 6%
    Private Equity/Venture Capital 17%

Employment Reports

Last edited by bb on 17 Dec 2012, 13:09, edited 5 times in total.
Additions
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
9 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: Co-President Student Government Association; Department Chairman
Concentration: General Management, International Business
Schools: Stanford '15 (S)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.61
WE: General Management (Non-Profit and Government)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 14 [9] , given: 3

Re: Stanford GSB 2013 - Calling all Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2012, 10:45
This post received
KUDOS
Puyallup wrote:
I fear that, as we are now much nearer to the decision date than the application date, if you haven't heard back yet, your chances do not look good. Sadly, I am in that boat.

Posted from my mobile device Image

NEW RULE: No more whining and posting useless, baseless conjecture- especially wild speculation about how many decisions have or have not gone out. It's pathetic.

If you receive (or have received) an interview, that's fantastic, congratulations! :-D Please do share with us your details.

However, if you have not, and have nothing to offer this forum, then refrain from posting. It helps no one, and irritates everyone.

Thank you.

Half of everything is luck- and the other half, fate.

always have an escape plan

7 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 770 Q48 V51
GPA: 3.88
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 17 [7] , given: 14

Re: Stanford GSB 2013 - Calling all Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2013, 12:11
This post received
KUDOS
Haven't ever posted here before, but I've lurked on this page to find out if other people had gotten interviews, so I thought it would only be fair to share: I'm a R2 applicant, and I got a Stanford invite about an hour ago. I'm really excited, especially since I didn't get an HBS one on Wednesday--feeling much better about life right now. :)

Good luck to everyone else applying!
7 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 9 [7] , given: 0

Re: Stanford GSB 2013 - Calling all Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2013, 18:39
This post received
KUDOS
Hey, friends!

I received a lovely status update from the GSB admission committee that I felt compelled to share. Here's hoping that Stanford's sentiments - sincere and pithy - alleviate stress as effectively for you as they did for me.

Dear applicant,

We here in Palo Alto know that the MBA application process is rife with anxiety. In the last several months you worked diligently to compile an application that represents your accomplishments and goals, and the last several years navigating what has proven an unusually turbulent job market. Dates were postponed, drinks turned down and treadmills neglected for the sake of truly stellar essays and, yes, rather boring forms. It takes an abundance of energy and courage to apply to graduate programs, and you should therefore be proud of yourself. Really.

We also know that rumors thrive when information is scarce, rumors that needlessly agitate, endlessly worry. In the name of restful sleep, we'd like to set the record straight and put you at ease.

1. Your application will be thoroughly reviewed. We promise.
2. Your GMAT score is not the only element we consider.
3. Our team does not write and stage a play based on the applications of those people with the lowest GMAT scores. That happened only once, and while it was super hilarious and cathartic, we don't do that anymore. (Heehee. I'm remembering some of the funnier bits now. "Phi Beta KAPLAN!" So good.)
4. We do not rank applicants according to physical appearance. How would we even access hidden images after the implementation of that stupid privacy law? Stupid, stupid privacy law? Your accolades speak for themselves.
5. What do you look like?
6. JK! We could get in trouble if we asked you to send a pic. But if you sent one on your own free will...
7. Interview invitations are not sent out according to last name or geographic region because one year someone got the S names and threw a huge fit.
8. Stop freaking out about whether you doubled-spaced your essay. Give our system some credit, okay? Do you honestly think we'd reject a Rhodes Scholar with three patents and a successful business plan to save all babies everywhere because she didn't know how to read directions and use Microsoft Word?
8.5. READ DIRECTIONS AND LEARN HOW TO USE MICROSOFT WORD, GENIUS LADY. YOUR FRIENDS HATE YOU AND SO DO WE. Great job with the babies, though. You're probably getting accepted.
9. The thing that happened with that guy on Saturday isn't a huge deal. Yes, it happened twice, but he seems to like you a lot and will probably forget the whole thing.
10. Stanford's sole purpose is not to host better costume parties than does Wharton. We take our academic curriculum very seriously.
11. Class is not cancelled if it rains, but people do, like, freak out and say, "What's up with this rain!?" until the storm subsides. It's so annoying.
12. HE WANTS TO HANG OUT AGAIN. Stop whining to your friend about how you shouldn't have brought him back to your apartment in the first place. You had fun. He had fun. Move forward.
13. You were right: Those fields in the application that make you transcribe your resume really are worthless. If we didn't create hurdles, everyone would apply.
14. Ninety percent of the posts on that gmatclub site are BS. Try to ignore them. In fact, try to ignore the entire site. Block it, have your friend protect said block with a password that only he knows, and then end that friendship so that he'll never have a chance to reveal the password to you. (Accuse him of something nasty but not totally damning. IDK. Have fun with it!)
15. HBS supports fracking. In fact, it's one giant fracking site.
16. You're great. You're going to be fine.
6 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.96

Kudos [?]: 11 [6] , given: 0

Re: Stanford GSB 2013 - Calling all Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2012, 14:09
This post received
KUDOS
Hi all - I received an interview invitation late October and interviewed this week with an alumnus (I am located in the US). As this thread from last year was helpful for me in preparing for the interview, I thought I'd give a brief run-through of mine. Overall, the interview was very informal and conversational, and the interviewer was very open to a continuing dialogue instead of a set list of questions and answers. He started by asking for a general timeline of my life/resume from high school onward, followed by several broad questions:

- Why do you want to get an MBA
- Why Stanford
- Tell me about a failure
- Tell me about a success

For some of these questions, there were brief follow-up points. I then asked a few questions about his experience and the atmosphere at Stanford, to which he provided personal answers (not admissions lines). Overall, the interview lasted almost exactly an hour.

I hope this is helpful for you!
6 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [6] , given: 9

Re: Stanford GSB 2013 - Calling all Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2013, 16:57
This post received
KUDOS
Hi All. Just got an interview invite. I'm a Wailisted Round 1'er. So R2 invites should come out soon. Good Luck!
5 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [5] , given: 0

Re: Stanford GSB 2013 - Calling all Applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2013, 09:29
This post received
KUDOS
Yahoo !! I made it .. Finally got an interview call from Stanford !! yipppeeee woopppiieee !! Feeling so ebullient right now . Was so dejected when was in the rejection list at Harvard !!
5 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing
GPA: 3.66
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 21 [5] , given: 7

Re: Stanford GSB 2013 - Calling all Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2013, 05:56
This post received
KUDOS
Just Got The Call!!!!! In NY!! AHHH!!!
4 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Strategy

Kudos [?]: 29 [4] , given: 9

Re: Stanford GSB 2013 - Calling all Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2012, 08:48
This post received
KUDOS
The vast majority of people still do not know if they received interviews or not. The historical forums for Stanford show that interviews trickle in all the way through November. As a general statement, everyone needs to take a deep breathe and relax a bit. Your entire life's outcome, regardless of what you may be led to believe, will not be dictated by acceptance or rejection at Stanford or HBS. The process is now out of your control. If you get an interview, make the most of it, and if you don't, pick yourself up and either kick butt at another school, strengthen your application for another round/year/school, or find a way to reach your goals without B school.
4 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V45
GPA: 3.15

Kudos [?]: 12 [4] , given: 7

Re: Stanford GSB 2013 - Calling all Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2012, 16:43
This post received
KUDOS
Was beginning to feel I would never get to post on this thread :)

Just got the invite, everyone. I am an Indian, working in the US, energy industry. So thankful! Good luck to the people still waiting - the admissions officer re-affirmed that they send out invites till a week before the deadline.
4 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
Schools: CBS '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V46

Kudos [?]: 23 [4] , given: 4

Re: Stanford GSB 2013 - Calling all Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2012, 15:04
This post received
KUDOS
xnormjeanx wrote:
Although I was in the same position losing hope not long ago, looking at last year's posts there do seem to continue to be interview invites
going into early December. They'll just have to finish those interviews in a shorter time frame. Not all hope is lost for those waiting.

I have heard of people being invited to interview on d-day and hearing back within 48 hours after interviewing (a week or so after the decision was supposed to have gone out).... These people were accepted.

I will continue to have hope until 5pm dec 12. Everyone here is still in the running, so let's act like it!

Posted from my mobile device Image
4 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 30 [4] , given: 17

Re: Stanford GSB 2013 - Calling all Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2012, 20:46
This post received
KUDOS
Can we start the official waiting chat now? With enough red bull I can stay up through next wednesday. Or maybe we can all meet somewhere and hold hands for the next 6 days.
4 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [4] , given: 0

Re: Stanford GSB 2013 - Calling all Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2012, 03:50
This post received
KUDOS
Have been following the posts very closely and decided I would let you all know if I get any news!
And so it happened, a call from Derrick himself. I know - it's 3 am in California! But I am just very excited right now.
For those who are curious, I am in the China timezone.
4 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V46
WE: Analyst (Venture Capital)

Kudos [?]: 9 [4] , given: 1

Re: Stanford GSB 2013 - Calling all Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2013, 14:24
This post received
KUDOS
I heard if you have any colors on transcript its an automatic ding.....same with missing page numbers
4 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
WE: Project Management (Real Estate)

Kudos [?]: 29 [4] , given: 9

Re: Stanford GSB 2013 - Calling all Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2013, 11:39
This post received
KUDOS
I guess ill just withdraw my application now. It seems Mr. Ahmad Musa from Nigeria wants to give me $100 million.
4 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
WE: Marketing (Consumer Products)

Kudos [?]: 9 [4] , given: 0

Re: Stanford GSB 2013 - Calling all Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2013, 23:48
This post received
KUDOS
I threw an wish app in the well
Don't ask me, I'll never tell
I looked to you as it fell
And now you're in my way

I trade my soul for an wish admit
Pennies and dimes for an kiss interview
I wasn't looking for this
But now you're in my way

Your stare was holding
Ripped jeans Knight centre, skin palm trees were showing
Hot night, wind was blowing
Where you think you're going baby?

Hey, I just met you, and this is crazy
But here's my number gmat, so call me maybe
It's hard to look right, at you baby
But here's my number essay, so call me maybe

And all the other boys b-schools, try to chase me

You took your time with the call
I took no time with the fall
You gave me nothing at all, but still you're in my way
I beg and borrow and steal
At first sight and it's real
I didn't know I would feel it, but it's in my way

Your stare was holding
Ripped jeans Knight centre, skin palm trees were showing
Hot night, wind was blowing
Where you think you're going baby?

And all the other boys bschools, try to chase me

Before you came into my life I missed you so bad
I missed you so bad... I missed you so, so bad
And you should know that... I missed you so, so bad

And all the other boys bschools, try to chase me

I missed you so bad... I missed you so, so bad
And you should know that
So call me maybe

- With due apologies to Carly Rae Jepsen, and my application to Stanford GSB.
3 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [3] , given: 5

Re: Stanford GSB 2013 - Calling all Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2012, 19:33
This post received
KUDOS
Come on Stanford, get over with it. I have no nails left.
3 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Strategy

Kudos [?]: 29 [3] , given: 9

Re: Stanford GSB 2013 - Calling all Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2012, 07:52
This post received
KUDOS
How about this: if you are going to get an invite, there is a 100% chance Stanford will tell you about it between now and December 12th.

14%/7%/1%/0%, it's all irrelevant.
3 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V45
GPA: 3.15

Kudos [?]: 12 [3] , given: 7

Re: Stanford GSB 2013 - Calling all Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2012, 14:59
This post received
KUDOS
Interviewed with the alum today. He did not spend any time asking about my background, dived straight into the behavioral questions. 4-5 questions covered in 40 mins. Talk about a time when you - 1) Displayed initiative 2) Changed strategy of team 3) Had a difficult team member and a couple others I don't remember very clearly .. Then 20 mins devoted to questions I had for him. He was impressive in a quiet way and seemed like a really genuine, no-nonsense person.

My only advice to other members is - Practise talking aloud, to yourself in the mirror if no one else! You already know your stories, so the content is not difficult .. you just need to be comfortable talking. Definitely helped me not 'jam up' during the actual thing. I am happy to be a sounding board if anyone wants to use me! I know it is sometimes easier talking to a stranger than to people you are close to, especially if you are uncomfortable 'selling yourself' :)
3 KUDOS received
Current Student
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.18
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 67 [3] , given: 12

Reviews Badge
Re: Stanford GSB 2013 - Calling all Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2012, 22:02
This post received
KUDOS
KillerApp wrote:
esdykes wrote:
thebdouglas wrote:
Both are great programs and both admit quite different students (with some overlap)....I myself got dinged at HBS but was interviewed @ GSB (+ Haas & Anderson) and am hoping for an admit.

100% agree. I'm actually in the opposite boat. Eternal wait for Stanford, but interviewed at HBS (+Darden & LBS). Hoping for an invite from HBS. In hind-sight, I can definitely see that my style and therefore essays were much more HBS than Stanford material. Only wish I had realized that before submitting!

How would you differentiate the styles for HBS and Stanford? Just wondering what to expect for GSB application in R2. How did you realize that these styles are so different?

Others can chime in here but at a very superficial level, HBS focuses more on you as an individual leader and what you have overcome to achieve results through teams. You can see this in their essays: what have you done well. What do you wish you had done better? Both focused on me the individual.

Stanford in the other hand is looking for people that feel a deeper connection to improving the world through their leadership. It's similar but different from achieving results. This is reflected in the essay prompt of what matters most to you. Also, I think their tag line sums it up well - ending with change the world.

I'm not passing judgement on which is better, instead I think it's more a question of what drives you at your core that pushes you to achieve great things. It's a bit hard to describe, but this is at least my attempt. I would also throw out there that this is not 100% true but more of a general trend.
Re: Stanford GSB 2013 - Calling all Applicants   [#permalink] 03 Dec 2012, 22:02