Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Sep 2014, 02:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Stanford GSB

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [1] , given: 3

Re: Stanford GSB [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2008, 01:18
This post received
KUDOS
Hi Terry,

You and kry really shed a lot of light on Haas and Stanford. I'm definitely applying for Stanford GSB after being initially scared out of it by the low acceptance rate, Yikes! I was wondering if you can give us your feeling on the relative importance of different parts of the application? For example, how important is the interview relative to the essays and the work experience, scores and GPA, etc.

Thanks in advance.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 65

Kudos [?]: 333 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: Stanford GSB [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2008, 20:56
i know this question was directed at terry, but just for a second opinion, this is what I would guess (totally my own opinion based on last year and talking to some amazing Stanford GSB students this year):

Most Important: Work Experience/Background - they're really looking for people who are accomplished, changed the world (or want to change the world), and are unique in their own way.

Right behind that: Essays - tell your story, tell them who you are

The rest (scores, GPA, rec letters, and interview) are there to qualify you. Does NOT mean they're not important, but once you get to the "good enough" level, it's not going to get you in if you do better (i.e. 800, 4.0, and a spectacular interview will not help you much, and in some case, might hurt you - Stanford is very proud of rejecting all the 800 GMAT people :P)

GMAT Club Knowledge Vault:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/123
Haas Ambassador
http://gmatclub.com/forum/128-t62555
Kryzak's Profile:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/111-t56286
Member Essays:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/103-t50969

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Attending Stanford
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 64 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Stanford GSB [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2008, 18:55
Hi liubhs-

First, don't get scared of by the low acceptance rate! We gotta increase gmatclub representation here :-D

I think kry pretty much nailed it with respect to the relative importance of things. The adcom definitely want to make sure you can do the academic work, but beyond a certain level (no, I don't know the precise numbers) a higher GPA or GMAT won't help. The quality of work experience is critical... it often involves prestigious company/nonprofit/startup experience, but that's not always the case. More important (especially if you're coming from outside a usual MBA-feeder firm) is precisely what you've done at the company and the effect you've had on the organization and the people within it. That's why the essays are so important. Explain the effects you've had on people and organizations, and how you hope to continue in the future. Remember the school's motto: change lives, change organizations, change the world. Yeah it's kinda corny, but it's also quite meaningful.

Finally, I'm not quite sure how interviews fit into all of this. I don't think they're as important as they are at other schools (think HBS), but I'm not sure. Most of the interviews are pretty low-stress... the interviewer typically just wants to make sure you're not a jerk.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 1

Re: Stanford GSB [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2008, 08:15
This post received
KUDOS
Hi there,

is it so that its virtually impossible to gety into stanford if u have low GPA score. i am a CPA from India prior exp in stat audits and currently in equity research for past 18 months. have few apprehensions about top B schools )stanfordd in particular)
1) does low GPA throw u out
2) have no leadership skills to boast of....joined a big company , working as research analyst.
3) am associated with a a very small level NGO
4) plan to go to PE post mba....how difficult or easy it i to get into it straight after mba
5) wat all are true finance schools(apart form H/S/W/Chicago/NYU/Columbia.....wats ur perception about Yale. is it a finance school in true sense.....how dop people see it in general

kryzak wrote:
i know this question was directed at terry, but just for a second opinion, this is what I would guess (totally my own opinion based on last year and talking to some amazing Stanford GSB students this year):

Most Important: Work Experience/Background - they're really looking for people who are accomplished, changed the world (or want to change the world), and are unique in their own way.

Right behind that: Essays - tell your story, tell them who you are

The rest (scores, GPA, rec letters, and interview) are there to qualify you. Does NOT mean they're not important, but once you get to the "good enough" level, it's not going to get you in if you do better (i.e. 800, 4.0, and a spectacular interview will not help you much, and in some case, might hurt you - Stanford is very proud of rejecting all the 800 GMAT people :P)

If opportunity doesn't knock build a door

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Tuck

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 0

Re: Stanford GSB [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2008, 04:19
This post received
KUDOS
Hi, I am planning to apply this January to Stanford but I could not visit the campus. Will this be definitely bad for my application?

I would like to contact some students to talk with them about the school, how can I do it?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

GMAT Tests User
Re: Stanford GSB [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2008, 01:51
llest wrote:
Hi, I am planning to apply this January to Stanford but I could not visit the campus. Will this be definitely bad for my application?

I would like to contact some students to talk with them about the school, how can I do it?

Hi llest,

Stanford does not really care whether you visit the campus or not. They don't really take down names when you do visit. As for speaking with students, you can try contacting them through the club webpages or see if terry12 can help get you connected with some of his classmates.

Haas Ambassador
Kryzak's Profile:
Member Essays:

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Stanford GSB [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2008, 06:04
deepakg wrote:
Hi there,

is it so that its virtually impossible to gety into stanford if u have low GPA score. i am a CPA from India prior exp in stat audits and currently in equity research for past 18 months. have few apprehensions about top B schools )stanfordd in particular)
1) does low GPA throw u out
2) have no leadership skills to boast of....joined a big company , working as research analyst.
3) am associated with a a very small level NGO
4) plan to go to PE post mba....how difficult or easy it i to get into it straight after mba
5) wat all are true finance schools(apart form H/S/W/Chicago/NYU/Columbia.....wats ur perception about Yale. is it a finance school in true sense.....how dop people see it in general

Hi Deepak-

I don't know that it's impossible to get into Stanford with a low GPA... I honestly don't know anyone's individual GPA outside of my own, so I can't give you any sort of anecdotal evidence either way. People certainly do get into PE after graduation, but most of these have either prior finance (IB/PE/HF/IM/VC) experience or meaningful experience in a desirable (tech, cleantech, healthcare, etc.) field. I think Yale's a great school, but I'm not heading into finance, so I can't really comment on its reputation in that area.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Stanford GSB [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2008, 06:07
llest wrote:

Hi llest-

I honestly wouldn't worry about the lack of a visit. It can be difficult for some applicants to get to the west coast, and the adcom understands that. Visits aren't tracked at all, so don't worry about it. I didn't see the GSB until admit weekend.

Feel free to ask me any questions, either in this forum or via PM.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: Stanford GSB [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2009, 04:55
This post received
KUDOS
hi,
this is soumya,have done my BE in 2008 and i am a below avg student ...and i have a low gpa and i want to do mba in stanford . is there any possiblity of people like me getting into stanford ?? pls do advice me regarding this ..... thanks in advance
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: HBS, Stanford (dinged), Wharton (WL), Kellogg, Chicago (Accepted), MIT (WL)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 17 [1] , given: 2

Re: Stanford GSB [#permalink] New post 18 May 2009, 13:20
This post received
KUDOS
Hey Terry,

In my case I am from Latin America, with 5+ years WE...done some Country Manager assistant/analyst at a mid size company, then analyst at Fortune 10, and now Management Consulting at Top 4.

Also founded a small but quite successful (on our own measures, of course) Think tank, basically doing liberty advocacy in liberty quasi oppressed country in Latam.

Do you see it feasible for me to get into Stanford GSB? I was planning on doing a trip to Palo Alto, cause I've never been there, but not sure if it's worth the effort and the expense to do it pre-application or doing it, eventually, post-acceptance to find out if I "fit" with the Stanford culture
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 39

Kudos [?]: 158 [1] , given: 36

GMAT Tests User
Re: Stanford GSB [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2009, 12:17
This post received
KUDOS
Terry,
I am flying to SF for business next week and I have scheduled a visit to Stanford for their Friday Information Session on the 14th. Are you available or do you know any of the current students that may be available/willing to meet with a prospective student over Coffee? Should I try and reach out to Admissions to see if they have anyone open?

Tips: best-app-tips-77803-80.html#p610423
GMAT experience: gmat-710-q47-v41-what-worked-and-what-didn-t-81055.html#p608295
Telling your story: storytelling-82064.html#p615567
Other MBA women: calling-all-female-mba-applicants-84636.html
GMATClub interview practice groups: gmatclub-interview-groups-85902.html#p643929

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 1

Re: Stanford GSB [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2009, 03:12
This post received
KUDOS
Hi Terry12,

I am applying for R1 2010. I noticed that your concenteration is healthcare and had a couple of questions.

My Profile-
India, Male, Healthcare Information Technology
7 Years work exp (5 years in a US based Healthcare Information Tech major)
Youngest team leader. Leading a research oriented project. Built the team from scratch. 3 clients signed up to buy the product after looking at the prototype.
Good recommendation letters.
Extra-curricular - Designed part of project proposal for a World Bank funded project in Healthcare Systems, Volunteer activity, Started Go Green initiative at work.
Bachelor of Engineering - Biomedical Engineering
Masters of Science (Healthcare IT major)

I did visit Stanford, but unfortunately could not attend an event because it wasn't available during my stay at SFO.
I had a couple of questions on the healthcare concenteration at Stanford. Can I PM you? Pls let me know.

Thanks
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Re: Stanford GSB [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2009, 11:51
This post received
KUDOS
Hi Terry12,

I would like to apply for 2011 and I am now beginning to find out about Joint Degree in environmental issues.
1. Could you tell me how it is the joint degree MBA and MS Environmental and Natural Resources?
2. Do you know someine who is doing this Joint Degree?
3. Has Stanford GSB specific subject on Energy and environment issues?

Thanks
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: Stanford, HBS (interview)
WE 1: Product Management
WE 2: Software Engineer

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 1

Re: Stanford GSB [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2010, 00:02
This post received
KUDOS
Hi

Should I have included company stock sales in my "Other income"? I did not... should I call GSB to correct?

Thanks!
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Chicago Booth 2013, Ross, Duke , Kellogg , Stanford, Haas
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 98 [1] , given: 53

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Stanford GSB [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2010, 09:50
This post received
KUDOS
Hi, for any current students at Stanford GSB or those who know the program really well, can you tell me about what the international study opportunities are? I've searched through their website and see they do study trips etc. but if I'm looking to study abroad for a whole semester (or at least half a semester) is Stanford not the right place for me? I only see their relationship with a school in Beijing and seems like international study opportunites otherwise are pretty limited. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: MIT (R2-ding), Stanford (R2), Haas (R3-Int), Columbia (RD-Feb)
WE 1: 3 years IB
Followers: 2

Re: Stanford GSB [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2010, 08:16
This post received
KUDOS
Terry/Kry ... guess you guys haven't been on this page for a while now. Are there any current Stanford GSB students we can connect to for fall 2011 applications?
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 2

Re: Stanford GSB [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2010, 08:43
This post received
KUDOS
One question from me.
Is Stanford "quite friendly" with older applicants ?
I heard many rumours that Stanford is getting younger each year.
Btw I am 31 years by the time I start my MBA ( if I happen to be admitted ).
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

GMAT Tests User
Re: Stanford GSB [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2010, 07:56
not sure where terry12 is these days, and also I'm not a GSB student (even though I went there for my masters), but from what I've seen and heard from terry12, there aren't a lot of people over 30 there...

Haas Ambassador
Kryzak's Profile:
Member Essays:

Manager
Manager
WE 1: 4 yr IT
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 26

Re: Stanford GSB [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2011, 11:41
HI,
i am one of the hopefuls wishing to attend stanford. though other colleges are good stanford is THE dream for me.
but recently i read in one of the forums that in MBA there wont be much financial aid. that too for international students. it was like seeing all my dreams crumble to dust coz i know i can get a good gmat score, i hav a short but good W.E. , excellent recos . the one thing which might stop me from stanford is money. is it true, even after selecting a candidate, if he is not able to accept for financial reasons they will ding ppl ??

this time, we play for keeps

Director
Director
Affiliations: IIT, Purdue, PhD, TauBetaPi
Schools: Wharton, Sloan, Chicago, Haas
WE 1: 8 years in Oil&Gas
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 15

GMAT Tests User
Re: Stanford GSB [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2011, 11:52
i have not heard of any one not being able to attend a top school because of lack of money. there are always loans one can secure, though the rates may be high..

Consider kudos, they are good for health

Re: Stanford GSB   [#permalink] 15 Jan 2011, 11:52