Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 00:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Stanford GSB Calling all applicants for Class of 2016!

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 09 Oct 2013
Posts: 2
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V45
GPA: 3.4
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Stanford GSB Calling all applicants for Class of 2016! [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2013, 15:03
Anyone know vague stats for GSB admits that got rejected from HBS?

Wondering just how poorly my HBS ding this week bodes for my GSB chances...
BSchool Forum Moderator
User avatar
Affiliations: SPG Platinum, Southwest A-List
Joined: 01 Jul 2011
Posts: 203
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.56
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 23

Premium Member
Re: Stanford GSB Calling all applicants for Class of 2016! [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2013, 15:09
silver32 wrote:
Anyone know vague stats for GSB admits that got rejected from HBS?

Wondering just how poorly my HBS ding this week bodes for my GSB chances...


I always hear that no one gets into both HBS and Stanford. :) Maybe that means your HBS ding bodes well for your chances at Stanford!
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 10 Jan 2013
Posts: 23
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V42
GPA: 3.8
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: Stanford GSB Calling all applicants for Class of 2016! [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2013, 17:50
Assuming everyone who applied to Stanford also applied to HBS, the very high yields at both schools would imply that most people admitted to one were rejected at the other. Regardless, as only 100 or so people a year turn down HBS (and many fewer Stanford), the vast majority of people attending Stanford were not accepted at HBS (either rejected/waitlisted, or did not apply - my guess is most are the former). Although, the conditional probability of acceptance at Stanford is I'm sure lower after an HBS rejection.
3 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 11 Jun 2011
Posts: 15
Location: United States
GPA: 3.89
WE: Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 16 [3] , given: 1

Re: Stanford GSB Calling all applicants for Class of 2016! [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2013, 08:51
3
This post received
KUDOS
kartelite wrote:
Assuming everyone who applied to Stanford also applied to HBS, the very high yields at both schools would imply that most people admitted to one were rejected at the other. Regardless, as only 100 or so people a year turn down HBS (and many fewer Stanford), the vast majority of people attending Stanford were not accepted at HBS (either rejected/waitlisted, or did not apply - my guess is most are the former). Although, the conditional probability of acceptance at Stanford is I'm sure lower after an HBS rejection.


So, based on GMATClub's stats on the forum (doesn't seem to conform to the numbers from the schools, but this is all purely hypothetical anyways),

Latest class for HBS had 1029 admitted for a class size of 919, so so 110 people chose not to attend HBS. Assume 100 of these people had chosen to go to GSB.

Latest class for GSB had 474 admitted for a class of 398, so 76 people chose not to attend GSB. Assume 65 of these people chose to go to HBS.

So every year, for a class of about 475 admits, you have only about 165 people who got into both HBS and GSB. The probability of an applicant who will only get into only GSB, as opposed to both HBS and GSB is actually higher (no, this says nothing about conditional probability).

Actually after I typed this out I don't actually feel like any of these mean anything. But it's great fun to read the tea leaves and obsess over stats since there's not much else we can do at this point for people who are just waiting.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 19 Jan 2013
Posts: 71
Location: Canada
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.7
WE: Analyst (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 3

Re: Stanford GSB Calling all applicants for Class of 2016! [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2013, 19:57
feniris wrote:
kartelite wrote:
Assuming everyone who applied to Stanford also applied to HBS, the very high yields at both schools would imply that most people admitted to one were rejected at the other. Regardless, as only 100 or so people a year turn down HBS (and many fewer Stanford), the vast majority of people attending Stanford were not accepted at HBS (either rejected/waitlisted, or did not apply - my guess is most are the former). Although, the conditional probability of acceptance at Stanford is I'm sure lower after an HBS rejection.


So, based on GMATClub's stats on the forum (doesn't seem to conform to the numbers from the schools, but this is all purely hypothetical anyways),

Latest class for HBS had 1029 admitted for a class size of 919, so so 110 people chose not to attend HBS. Assume 100 of these people had chosen to go to GSB.

Latest class for GSB had 474 admitted for a class of 398, so 76 people chose not to attend GSB. Assume 65 of these people chose to go to HBS.

So every year, for a class of about 475 admits, you have only about 165 people who got into both HBS and GSB. The probability of an applicant who will only get into only GSB, as opposed to both HBS and GSB is actually higher (no, this says nothing about conditional probability).

Actually after I typed this out I don't actually feel like any of these mean anything. But it's great fun to read the tea leaves and obsess over stats since there's not much else we can do at this point for people who are just waiting.


This is very interesting to read.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 27 Sep 2013
Posts: 16
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 21

Re: Stanford GSB Calling all applicants for Class of 2016! [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2013, 05:40
Has anyone else had moments where they've kicked themselves and said "If only I'd thought of this one other sentence / other way of putting it, my essay would be stronger?" This has happened to me at least twice since I sent in my app, and though I think the essays are still strong, I hate feeling like I may fall in the margin-of-error group that you can't afford to fall into for a school like Stanford.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 19 Jan 2013
Posts: 71
Location: Canada
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.7
WE: Analyst (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 3

Re: Stanford GSB Calling all applicants for Class of 2016! [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2013, 07:29
No I never had those kinda moments because I tried to forget about my application completely...
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 06 Dec 2011
Posts: 58
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 740 Q V0
GPA: 3.66
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 16

Re: Stanford GSB Calling all applicants for Class of 2016! [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2013, 08:04
no moment where i wished to change an essay line. but i did discover 3 days after i submitted my HBS app that i had a massive error on my resume (i copy/pasted one activity description for another intending to change it afterwards but never did). i was really upset and fixed it for my stanford and wharton apps.
i choose to believe my HBS ding was due to that error!

btw, the cross yield analysis posted above is really interesting. it makes me feel better that >50% of the GSB class didn't get into HBS!
BSchool Forum Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 25 Jun 2012
Posts: 378
Concentration: General Management
Followers: 26

Kudos [?]: 149 [0], given: 13

Premium Member
Re: Stanford GSB Calling all applicants for Class of 2016! [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2013, 13:15
finished with my round 1 apps, and just starting my Stanford app for round 2. Any advice from those of you who've already applied?
_________________

Advice, Musings, and Experiences from a member of the HBS Class of 2016
- Admissions Advice from HBS Dean
- 5 Things to do Now to Prepare for Round 1 applications
http://DefyingGravityMBA.blogspot.com/

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 19 Dec 2012
Posts: 33
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.81
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

Re: Stanford GSB Calling all applicants for Class of 2016! [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2013, 19:30
hey, can't help but just logged in my stanford app, found out my status is still" submitted"- how about your guys? My wharton status changed to "completed" within two days after I submitted..
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 08 Jul 2013
Posts: 20
Location: Russian Federation
GMAT 1: 660 Q V
GMAT 2: 740 Q0 V0
GPA: 4
WE: Accounting (Manufacturing)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Stanford GSB Calling all applicants for Class of 2016! [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2013, 19:34
lostkiki wrote:
hey, can't help but just logged in my stanford app, found out my status is still" submitted"- how about your guys? My wharton status changed to "completed" within two days after I submitted..

Yeah, the same with Wharton and Stanford. Kind of frustrated...
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 27 Nov 2012
Posts: 7
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

Re: Stanford GSB Calling all applicants for Class of 2016! [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2013, 18:51
ElGrampo wrote:
Has anyone else had moments where they've kicked themselves and said "If only I'd thought of this one other sentence / other way of putting it, my essay would be stronger?" This has happened to me at least twice since I sent in my app, and though I think the essays are still strong, I hate feeling like I may fall in the margin-of-error group that you can't afford to fall into for a school like Stanford.


Ugh yes all the time!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 11 Jun 2011
Posts: 15
Location: United States
GPA: 3.89
WE: Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 16 [1] , given: 1

Re: Stanford GSB Calling all applicants for Class of 2016! [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2013, 01:02
1
This post received
KUDOS
ElGrampo wrote:
Has anyone else had moments where they've kicked themselves and said "If only I'd thought of this one other sentence / other way of putting it, my essay would be stronger?" This has happened to me at least twice since I sent in my app, and though I think the essays are still strong, I hate feeling like I may fall in the margin-of-error group that you can't afford to fall into for a school like Stanford.


Well, when you have thoughts like this, keep in mind that essays can be overcrafted. That is, you don't actually know if your change will make a difference to your essay. And even if it does, you wouldn't know if it's for better or worse. Unless you have real structural problems with your essays, which shouldn't be the case for you Round 1 earlybirds. So don't fret about a sentence or two.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 09 Oct 2013
Posts: 32
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 730 Q46 V44
WE: Other (Venture Capital)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 33

Re: Stanford GSB Calling all applicants for Class of 2016! [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2013, 09:37
Anyone know how the interview invites tend to be sent you? The email from GSB said they send them out "every day", but I was curious if people remember from last year if there were specific clusters during any part of the interview window. Thanks!
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 12 Jun 2013
Posts: 5
Concentration: Healthcare, Entrepreneurship
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 9

Re: Stanford GSB Calling all applicants for Class of 2016! [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2013, 20:51
boulderbiker wrote:
Anyone know how the interview invites tend to be sent you? The email from GSB said they send them out "every day", but I was curious if people remember from last year if there were specific clusters during any part of the interview window. Thanks!


Based on last years thread it looks like it was pretty random and more to do with when they managed to find an interviewer in/near your location. I doubt it will be any different this year except people will be checking their email for a much shorter window!
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 15 Sep 2013
Posts: 19
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [2] , given: 0

Re: Stanford GSB Calling all applicants for Class of 2016! [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2013, 07:26
2
This post received
KUDOS
the hbs and wharton threads are exploding with activity as R1 interviews have come out! i'm so nervous about the gsb - the calm before the storm! is there method to the one month long rolling madness? :)
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 03 Mar 2013
Posts: 38
GMAT 1: Q V0
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Re: Stanford GSB Calling all applicants for Class of 2016! [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2013, 10:47
grit wrote:
the hbs and wharton threads are exploding with activity as R1 interviews have come out! i'm so nervous about the gsb - the calm before the storm! is there method to the one month long rolling madness? :)



Yeah, I'd say engage in some activity like sports/workout. Else checking the emails, you might be under severe OCD :)
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 06 Dec 2011
Posts: 58
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 740 Q V0
GPA: 3.66
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 16

Re: Stanford GSB Calling all applicants for Class of 2016! [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2013, 12:53
i'm grateful to tptb for narrowing the interview window this year.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 01 Jan 2013
Posts: 30
Location: United States
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V47
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 13

Re: Stanford GSB Calling all applicants for Class of 2016! [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2013, 09:44
everybody dance now
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 24 Oct 2012
Posts: 21
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Stanford GSB Calling all applicants for Class of 2016! [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2013, 10:12
Hi
Anyone receive an interview Invite for 2014 Round 1,yet?
Re: Stanford GSB Calling all applicants for Class of 2016!   [#permalink] 27 Oct 2013, 10:12
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
13 Stanford GSB: Class of 2017 - Calling All Applicants! jdharris 38 16 May 2014, 06:37
1 Experts publish their posts in the topic Stanford GSB Class of 2016 - Calling all Admitted Students azowu 0 26 Dec 2013, 07:56
1 Experts publish their posts in the topic Stanford GSB Class of 2016-Calling all Waitlisting Students azowu 2 26 Dec 2013, 07:48
Experts publish their posts in the topic Fordham GSB Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! souvik101990 0 24 Sep 2013, 13:12
246 Experts publish their posts in the topic Stanford GSB 2013 - Calling all Applicants str1der 1066 08 Jun 2012, 20:56
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Stanford GSB Calling all applicants for Class of 2016!

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  63    Next  [ 1255 posts ] 

Moderators: DefyingGravity, missxmelon



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.