Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 19:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Stanford GSB Calling all applicants for Class of 2016!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V47
GPA: 3.7
WE: Other (Education)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 25

Re: Stanford GSB Calling all applicants for Class of 2016! [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2013, 19:20
lindalibinbin wrote:

Nah, financial and job security are rarely what REALLY matters to a person, deep down. But I'm worried that if I dig deep and find out what really matters to me, it could be some personality trait that they don't like. For example, what if the answer is "so that everyone around me would approve of me", or "to spend time with my kids 24/7", or "I never want to fail". These might very well be what matters to certain people, but wouldn't convey the right msg - the first one would show deep down the person has no confidence, second one would show you probably won't go out and make impact in society, and third one would show... i don't know, not willing to take risk or something.

So, my questions is, if there's a conflict between what we think is the fundamental driving force of our actions and what we believe others would think of it, what do we do?

Oh I totally agree with your point, I was just having a bit of fun. But you do bring up a really good point, and something that I have been juggling in thinking about my essay as well. In this context what matters most to us has to align somewhat with what would make us an attractive candidate.

I think the things you mentioned though are not negative in and of themselves (although who am I too say I'm just another lost applicant). Your first suggestion I think would be nearly impossible to create an essay from that would "sell," though I imagine someone smarter than myself could do. BUT I think even writing about spending time with your kids, or the drive to succeed (the positive spin of not wanting to fail, I recognize that they are not exactly the same though) would actually be fine things to write about. I kind of get the feeling that the stories and motivations behind what is important to you matters much more than what the actual "thing" is. So if, say, having kids changed your life and you want to spend time with them as the most important thing, I actually think that would be an amazing topic to craft an essay around. Because that does actually imply that you will work hard to provide for them, and you could definitely also hint that it makes you an empathetic individual that will work hard but also aim to do good for others with kids and kids themselves...I think there exists definite possibilities!
Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 42

Re: Stanford GSB Calling all applicants for Class of 2016! [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2013, 05:13
tripsd wrote:
Has anyone started working the essays yet? Just feel like I keep hitting my head against a wall. Not that they're terribly unique, I just feel like they're looking for some subtle nuances that others essays I've worked on don't.

I've written three different versions of what matters to me most. lol. Writing is largely an iterative process so keep writing, you'll hit a breakthrough eventually.

lindalibinbin wrote:

Nah, financial and job security are rarely what REALLY matters to a person, deep down. But I'm worried that if I dig deep and find out what really matters to me, it could be some personality trait that they don't like. For example, what if the answer is "so that everyone around me would approve of me", or "to spend time with my kids 24/7", or "I never want to fail". These might very well be what matters to certain people, but wouldn't convey the right msg - the first one would show deep down the person has no confidence, second one would show you probably won't go out and make impact in society, and third one would show... i don't know, not willing to take risk or something.

So, my questions is, if there's a conflict between what we think is the fundamental driving force of our actions and what we believe others would think of it, what do we do?

This is why this essay question is so tough. People who have gotten in will tell you to be as honest and genuine as possible though because you can't say that "community service" is what matters most to you and NOT have an extensive history of volunteerism to back it up.

Does anyone know where we can see old accepted essays?
Current Student

Re: Stanford GSB Calling all applicants for Class of 2016! [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2013, 05:14
ohsballer wrote:

I've written three different versions of what matters to me most. lol. Writing is largely an iterative process so keep writing, you'll hit a breakthrough eventually.

Currently on version 8! haha
4 KUDOS received
Current Student
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V46
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 88 [4] , given: 7

Re: Stanford GSB Calling all applicants for Class of 2016! [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2013, 14:00
This post received
KUDOS
Having spoken to a bunch of Stanford admits, listened to DB talk about some topics admits wrote and penned a response last year, I thought I might share some random thoughts on essay one.

1. The diversity of topics people choose is HUGE. If you think everyone writes about 'saving the world' / 'microfinance in Africa'-style topics you are wrong.

2. Don't worry about the 'what' being original because it probably won't be. Family, pet, child, personality trait, TV show, board game, instrument etc - it's all been done. There are no points for an original 'what'.

3. Don't be boring. Your essay can be about family without starting "my family is what matters most." However, gimmicks are lame. If your essay is about family being important, your better to basically say that rather than spin a convoluted tale about something silly.

4. Do worry deeply about the 'why'. The 'why' is more important than the what. The 'why' will almost always touch on upbringing, family, or some other defining experience and be inherently unique.

5. Authenticity is key. Relevance to essays B and C is nice, but not at the expense of being authentic.

6. Don't think about what Stanford wants and work backwards.

7. It needn't be a tail of woe, misery and overcoming the odds - but an upward trajectory or some sort of personal development angle is nice.

8. This essay is more about identity than motivation.

lindalibinbin - I actually think all three of those topics could work; even 'negative' traits have a why and could still be good essays. I think you would have to be a pretty good writer to pull it off though.

One thing I found interesting is you mention money and job security is what matters most to everyone deep down, but I actually don't think that's true at all (moving beyond just survival). If you spend a lot of time thinking about job security then potentially there is an interesting underlying 'why' you could delve into?

Happy drafting!

My Debrief

Current Student

Re: Stanford GSB Calling all applicants for Class of 2016! [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2013, 10:09
I know I'm being crazy, someone reassure me its okay to not over-think the "just for fun style questions" like what is your favorite place.
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Followers: 73

Kudos [?]: 448 [1] , given: 454

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Stanford GSB Calling all applicants for Class of 2016! [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2013, 03:04
This post received
KUDOS
tripsd wrote:
I know I'm being crazy, someone reassure me its okay to not over-think the "just for fun style questions" like what is your favorite place.

I so empathize with you.

Don't over-think --> Does this help? :)
Current Student
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 720 Q47 V42
WE: Operations (Manufacturing)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 11

Re: Stanford GSB Calling all applicants for Class of 2016! [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2013, 12:09
Trying to reach out to some current Stamford students/alumni/admits to put some questions to them, would anyone with close contact to the school be willing to help an international applicant who can't visit out?

Also - have been drafting some essays too. I'm on version 3 on most of these!

My blog: http://timbob101.wordpress.com/

Current Student

Re: Stanford GSB Calling all applicants for Class of 2016! [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2013, 03:29
jumsumtak wrote:
tripsd wrote:

I so empathize with you.

Don't over-think --> Does this help? :)

Yup all better now!
Current Student

Re: Stanford GSB Calling all applicants for Class of 2016! [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2013, 03:32
Timbob wrote:
Trying to reach out to some current Stamford students/alumni/admits to put some questions to them, would anyone with close contact to the school be willing to help an international applicant who can't visit out?

Also - have been drafting some essays too. I'm on version 3 on most of these!

Yea exactly the same boat. I have had a good number of people suggest just trying to network with alums through linkedin which is not a terrible idea. I don't like bothering people, but it will most definitely help get a feel for the school. And I am version 3 or higher for all of my essays. I am getting the problem where I feel like I know what I want to say but just can't make it come across on paper. That and my essay is always ridiculously long or crazy short. Best of luck to you though!
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 25

Re: Stanford GSB Calling all applicants for Class of 2016! [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2013, 04:31
Count me in for R1!
2 KUDOS received
Chat Moderator
Schools: Johnson '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V40
WE: Asset Management (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 34

Kudos [?]: 200 [2] , given: 57

Premium Member
Re: Stanford GSB Calling all applicants for Class of 2016! [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2013, 15:59
This post received
KUDOS
Met a graduate from the 80s today - he was gushing about his experience @ Stanford. I think I am possibly in for R2. Still deciding if its worth my donation :)

My Applicant Blog: http://hamm0.wordpress.com/

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
WE: Analyst (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 3

Re: Stanford GSB Calling all applicants for Class of 2016! [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2013, 21:18
pike wrote:
lindalibinbin - I actually think all three of those topics could work; even 'negative' traits have a why and could still be good essays. I think you would have to be a pretty good writer to pull it off though.

One thing I found interesting is you mention money and job security is what matters most to everyone deep down, but I actually don't think that's true at all (moving beyond just survival). If you spend a lot of time thinking about job security then potentially there is an interesting underlying 'why' you could delve into?

Happy drafting!

oh, i said money is rarely really what matters most, so we are in agreement. :)
Current Student
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V46
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 88 [0], given: 7

Re: Stanford GSB Calling all applicants for Class of 2016! [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2013, 01:23
lindalibinbin wrote:
pike wrote:

Happy drafting!

oh, i said money is rarely really what matters most, so we are in agreement. :)

Ah sorry, my mistake!

Posted from my mobile device Image

My Debrief

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Sustainability, General Management
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 57

Re: Stanford GSB Calling all applicants for Class of 2016! [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2013, 05:58
Count me in guys..

Haven't read questions/started any work on applications as of yet. Hopefully will register on their website and start tomorrow.

Good luck to others too!
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Stanford GSB Calling all applicants for Class of 2016! [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2013, 10:20
Count me in for R1. Spent a week at the Stanford D-School earlier this week and loved every second.
Director
Director
Concentration: Finance

Kudos [?]: 136 [0], given: 204

Premium Member
Re: Stanford GSB Calling all applicants for Class of 2016! [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2013, 11:14
lindalibinbin wrote:
tripsd wrote:
hamm0 wrote:

Ha! got a kick out of that...

You mean "financial security and upward mobility" might not be what they want? Dang.

Yea I feel like its going to be a struggle to walk the line of being genuine while also trying to appeal to admissions.

What matters most to me is to be able to tell others that I have a MBA from the most selective school in the world - of course I can never share it.
But, I think what they are really expecting are things like starting a sustainable energy company in Nepal or an creating a new education system in Ethopia....or something along those lines.

Duke MBA Class of 2016

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2323

Kudos [?]: 9427 [0], given: 3699

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Stanford GSB Calling all applicants for Class of 2016! [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2013, 22:22
Expert's post
Stanford posted an interesting piece on their site - a week in the life of a Stanford GSB Student.
Maybe I missed it in the past but it seems to be new.

http://www.gsb.stanford.edu/programs/mb ... n-the-life

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Sustainability, General Management
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 57

Re: Stanford GSB Calling all applicants for Class of 2016! [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2013, 23:19
bb wrote:
Stanford posted an interesting piece on their site - a week in the life of a Stanford GSB Student.
Maybe I missed it in the past but it seems to be new.

http://www.gsb.stanford.edu/programs/mb ... n-the-life

It was there earlier too. Seems they added stuff of a different set of students.

I kinda dig the new GSB site and interface :-D
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT Date: 03-29-2013
GPA: 3
WE: Engineering (Telecommunications)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Stanford GSB Calling all applicants for Class of 2016! [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2013, 11:49
Hi Everyone! Anyone from Latin America? Bolivia?
MBA Admissions Consulting
WE: Consulting (Education)
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 139 [0], given: 22

Re: Stanford GSB Calling all applicants for Class of 2016! [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2013, 06:51
Re: Stanford GSB Calling all applicants for Class of 2016!   [#permalink] 31 Aug 2013, 06:51