Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 21:25 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 21:25

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GPA: 3.6
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Nonprofit, Strategy
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V39
GPA: 3.63
WE:Analyst (Venture Capital)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [5]
Given Kudos: 42
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
Send PM
Re: Stanford GSB Calling all applicants for Class of 2016! [#permalink]
Kudos
I hadn't even been paying attention to the process and was completely oblivious when the interviews were going out until that latest email.

I'm gonna stick with that strategy. I don't want to be in a panic like a lot of people in this thread.

My advice as a slightly older candidate is for everyone to chill out. Constantly refreshing your emails and obsessing over this won't help anything.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [7]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
fionaS wrote:
Be considerate, put yourself in their shoes. I like the way they put it in the email "Because you're human and so are we."

The fact that the evaluation process takes longer than some of the other schools shows that they are taking the time to develop a holistic picture of you, rather than just based on your test scores, shouldn't you appreciate this?

While I appreciate your note, I think its easier said on the 'invited to interview' side of the fence! Its a bit tough to empathise with anything during this painful painful waiting period. I am quite envious of all those who can kick back and relax right now. I think I put SO much energy and time and effort into the applications (especially Stanford) and so I think it's understandable that nerves are a wreck!
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51447 [0]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Expert Reply

GMAT Club Stanford 2013 webinar with Stratus Prep

Registration is required. Link for registration: https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/regist ... 6684692226
# of spots available: 100

Shawn P. O’Connor is the Founder and President of Stratus Prep. He was chosen as US News' LSAT/Law School Expert and he writes their column "Law Admissions Lowdown". He also writes the Forbes column "The Launching Pad". With more than seven years of standardized test prep and admissions experience, Mr. O’Connor provides personalized admissions counseling to hundreds of law and business school applicants each year. Mr. O’Connor also teaches LSAT and GMAT classes and tutors private individuals for these exams. Finally, Mr. O’Connor authored Stratus Prep’s renowned Law School Bootcamp.

Mr. O’Connor received his Masters in Business Administration with Highest Honors (Baker Scholar) from Harvard Business School and his Juris Doctor, cum laude from Harvard Law School. At Harvard, Mr. O’Connor was the recipient of numerous merit-based awards and scholarships including the prestigious John T. Thayer and Henry Ford II Scholarships. Mr. O’Connor is a 1999 summa cum laude graduate of Georgetown University’s Walsh School of Foreign Service where he received the Dean’s Medal for highest grade point average. Mr. O’Connor scored a 179 on the LSAT and a 780 on the GMAT.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Here is my "two cents" - they go through industry by industry. It doesn't make sense that it would be random. Despite their comments that they don't have quotas on industries, the reality is there are reasonable limits for a class of 400. The best way to compare candidates is by reviewing people in similar jobs right next to each other, otherwise it just becomes too random and inconsistent. For example, on this chain it seemed on day 1 they dished out a number of consulting interviews, however I haven't heard of many consulting interviews since then. I know of a few other people in consulting who received interviews that first day.

I happen to be a consultant. Can someone please tell me I am wrong here?!? Would really appreciate it ;)
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
BizSchoolHopeful wrote:
Here is my "two cents" - they go through industry by industry. It doesn't make sense that it would be random. Despite their comments that they don't have quotas on industries, the reality is there are reasonable limits for a class of 400. The best way to compare candidates is by reviewing people in similar jobs right next to each other, otherwise it just becomes too random and inconsistent. For example, on this chain it seemed on day 1 they dished out a number of consulting interviews, however I haven't heard of many consulting interviews since then. I know of a few other people in consulting who received interviews that first day.

I happen to be a consultant. Can someone please tell me I am wrong here?!? Would really appreciate it ;)

Hey thanks for the input, is this your own analysis or from any reliable source?
but I went to the HBS outreach and heard similar comments from their AO, they said they don't have certain quota for certain nationality, but candidates in same industry compete in same pool internationally. I just have one question here: how about those career switchers: e.g. Engineer in the past but aiming to go IBD?
and how about people like myself who have mixture of industry in W/E: (lawyer then general management) ?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 6
lostkiki wrote:
BizSchoolHopeful wrote:

Hey thanks for the input, is this your own analysis or from any reliable source?
but I went to the HBS outreach and heard similar comments from their AO, they said they don't have certain quota for certain nationality, but candidates in same industry compete in same pool internationally. I just have one question here: how about those career switchers: e.g. Engineer in the past but aiming to go IBD?
and how about people like myself who have mixture of industry in W/E: (lawyer then general management) ?

This is purely my own analysis. I don't want to throw people off, but I just don't see any other way they go through these stacks. We have proven on this thread that its not when you submit, it's not alphabetical, and geography (at least in the US) doesn't seem to be a common thread. For every school you pick your industry in a drop-down box. That is searchable, and based on a very tiny sample size, my guess is this is how they would do it.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 77 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Schools: Sloan '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
BizSchoolHopeful wrote:
lostkiki wrote:
BizSchoolHopeful wrote:

This is purely my own analysis. I don't want to throw people off, but I just don't see any other way they go through these stacks. We have proven on this thread that its not when you submit, it's not alphabetical, and geography (at least in the US) doesn't seem to be a common thread. For every school you pick your industry in a drop-down box. That is searchable, and based on a very tiny sample size, my guess is this is how they would do it.

BSchools segment by geographies. Some schools have admissions personnel that specialize in analyzing applicants from a specific region. Almost all of the top 10 bschools keep the the international pool to 35% of the class. They make sure not to over subscribe in any single region.

I highly doubt they segment by industry as well because the % of class coming from certain industries jumps +-5-10% year over year although you can see they do extend quite a few offers to VC's/PE's (20% of the class) and to humanities majors (average around 50% of the class over the past many years).

Overall, besides geographies, I am pretty sure its quite a holistic process.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [5]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
GRE 1: Q800 V720
Send PM
Kudos
BizSchoolHopeful wrote:
Here is my "two cents" - they go through industry by industry. It doesn't make sense that it would be
random. Despite their comments that they don't have quotas on industries, the reality is there are reasonable limits for a class of 400. The best way to compare candidates is by reviewing people in similar jobs right next to each other, otherwise it just becomes too random and inconsistent. For example, on this chain it seemed on day 1 they dished out a number of consulting interviews, however I haven't heard of many consulting interviews since then. I know of a few other people in consulting who received interviews that first day.

Hope this ease your nerves a little bit. :)

I got my invite the first day, and I'm in banking, and a less glamorous type of banking... And honestly speaking, my profile is weak. Almost cried when I got the invite cz' I literally didn't expect to get one at all... Having said that, I was fairly confident that as far as the Adcoms are willing to carefully read my stories other than my profile stats and big name employers, I'll get one. I absolutely loved Stanford's strategy of giving a chance to those who have a unique story to tell. This is completely different from HBS, which focuses heavily on your standard profile strength and many of my consultants & iBank friends got invites right away while I got a ding.

Having bullshitted the above, I guess it might not be true that they release invites by industry. To me, it's all about whether your story makes you stand out from the crowd, and you have sth that makes you different from others.

Take a deep breath and relax. Life is more than getting an invite :) And I'm sure all of us will be the lucky ones.

I'm having my interview today, and I treat it nothing more than meeting a new friend and showing him who I am.

Good luck to you all.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
lostkiki wrote:
BizSchoolHopeful wrote:

Not sure about Stanford but that's how Chicago Booth evaluates applications.

In early 2012, I took the Mini-MBA course offered by Booth. In one course, the topic was about job opportunity (or something like that) and a girl (a PhD student or post-doc scientist from Chicago's Chemistry Department) asked a question:"If I wanna do an MBA, does my academic science background jeopardize my chance?" The speaker, an adcom staff at Booth, said:"It doesn't. We don't compare chemical scientists with management consultants. We compare scientists with scientists." And she went on to make it very clear that the competition in the academic scientists cohort is less daunting because the pool is quite small. But she didn't address whether academic scientists would be a good fit (or ill fit) for B-school.

So, if you're an apple, don't worry about the orange.

I do hold the opinion that there are quotas. For example, international students account for roughly 30% every year. I believe this is also true for each industry. It's just that the quota for industry is much less stringent so you see violent fluctuations. But I would say it's outright impossible that consultants would account for 50% of the incoming class, no matter what. For career-changers (I'm also one), we can be broadly swept into the "career-switchers" or "others" category, which might mean your story will be carefully scrutinized.
Intern
Intern
GPA: 4
WE:Accounting (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Guys, is there anyone from Russia? Have you been invited?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 117 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
blueser wrote:
BizSchoolHopeful wrote:
Here is my "two cents" - they go through industry by industry. It doesn't make sense that it would be
random. Despite their comments that they don't have quotas on industries, the reality is there are reasonable limits for a class of 400. The best way to compare candidates is by reviewing people in similar jobs right next to each other, otherwise it just becomes too random and inconsistent. For example, on this chain it seemed on day 1 they dished out a number of consulting interviews, however I haven't heard of many consulting interviews since then. I know of a few other people in consulting who received interviews that first day.

I got my invite the first day, and I'm in banking, and a less glamorous type of banking... And honestly speaking, my profile is weak. Almost cried when I got the invite cz' I literally didn't expect to get one at all... Having said that, I was fairly confident that as far as the Adcoms are willing to carefully read my stories other than my profile stats and big name employers, I'll get one. I absolutely loved Stanford's strategy of giving a chance to those who have a unique story to tell. This is completely different from HBS, which focuses heavily on your standard profile strength and many of my consultants & iBank friends got invites right away while I got a ding.

Having bullshitted the above, I guess it might not be true that they release invites by industry. To me, it's all about whether your story makes you stand out from the crowd, and you have sth that makes you different from others.

Take a deep breath and relax. Life is more than getting an invite :) And I'm sure all of us will be the lucky ones.

I'm having my interview today, and I treat it nothing more than meeting a new friend and showing him who I am.

Good luck to you all.

Good luck boss.

I have this very strong feeling that you will ace that interview.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 117 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
BizSchoolHopeful wrote:

I believe you are wrong. That is what you wanted to hear, right :-D

Trust me, the Admission guys will have a tough time categorizing people like us with an unusual career trajectory.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
With that logic, not sure when they will get to my application. My background is in construction. Statistically less than 1% applications come from construction industry, I have been told.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Real Estate
GPA: 3.47
Send PM
MBADream2013 wrote:
With that logic, not sure when they will get to my application. My background is in construction. Statistically less than 1% applications come from construction industry, I have been told.

Construction here as well! I will be stalking your profile to see when you get your invite :) good luck.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
BuilderSF wrote:
MBADream2013 wrote:

Construction here as well! I will be stalking your profile to see when you get your invite :) good luck.

Good luck to you as well my friend!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [4]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Nonprofit, Strategy
Send PM
Kudos
my friend who got an invite in the first day was in i-banking. And I know at HBS, they have adcom members who look after a particular region. I believe there are quotas for a particular geography and industry, and I guess they will try to balance the two to have a diversified class.

It also makes sense to evaluate consultant/i-banking candidates first, since B-schools receive many applications from these pools and are most familiar with them to pick out the diamonds. After all, they will move on to the more unusual applicants to add color to the painting. Just my speculation. :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Sustainability
GRE 1: Q164 V160
GPA: 3.09
WE:Marketing (Consumer Products)
Send PM
blueser wrote:
BizSchoolHopeful wrote:

Good luck to you all.

Congrats Blueser! I hope your interview went well, sounds like you have a great relaxed attitude about the process, I admire it very much.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  10   11   12   13   14   15   16  ...  63   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts