Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 05:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Stanford GSB Calling all applicants for Class of 2016!

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 31 Mar 2013
Posts: 119
Location: India
Concentration: Sustainability, General Management
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 57

Re: Stanford GSB Calling all applicants for Class of 2016! [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2013, 03:18
Hi guys,

can someone confirm if its ok to send LOR by ID such as gmail/yahoo? My current supervisor doesn't have a company email id given to him.
MBA Admissions Consulting
User avatar
Joined: 16 Jul 2011
Posts: 486
WE: Consulting (Education)
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 140 [0], given: 22

Re: Stanford GSB Calling all applicants for Class of 2016! [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2013, 05:59
ankurq7 wrote:
Hi guys,

can someone confirm if its ok to send LOR by ID such as gmail/yahoo? My current supervisor doesn't have a company email id given to him.
It's not ideal; recommendations coming in from a generic email account like that are flagged and are subject to extra scrutiny. Your recommender should explain the situation in his submission (he needs to say more than "I don't have a company email" - he needs to explain why).

EssaySnark
_________________

EssaySnark Essays Reviewed on GMAT Club FOR FREE!

Current Student
avatar
Joined: 03 Jun 2013
Posts: 46
Concentration: General Management
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 9

Re: Stanford GSB Calling all applicants for Class of 2016! [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2013, 10:00
Does anyone know how strict Stanford is about the total 1,600 word count? If we submit a PDF with 1,700 words in total across the three essays, would they care (or even check/notice)?
MBA Admissions Consulting
User avatar
Joined: 16 Jul 2011
Posts: 486
WE: Consulting (Education)
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 140 [0], given: 22

Re: Stanford GSB Calling all applicants for Class of 2016! [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2013, 11:28
seamlessftw wrote:
Does anyone know how strict Stanford is about the total 1,600 word count? If we submit a PDF with 1,700 words in total across the three essays, would they care (or even check/notice)?
Not strict, they don't count words, but after reading essays for so many years the admissions people get an uncanny ability to eyeball an essay (or set of essays) and know if it's too long. They expect you to use your best judgment.

EssaySnark

PS: Welcome to GMAT Club!
_________________

EssaySnark Essays Reviewed on GMAT Club FOR FREE!

MBA Admissions Consulting
User avatar
Joined: 16 Jul 2011
Posts: 486
WE: Consulting (Education)
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 140 [0], given: 22

Re: Stanford GSB Calling all applicants for Class of 2016! [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2013, 14:54
And completing our recent run of Stanford essay reviews, here's our commentary about a real-life Essay 3, this one written for the "went beyond what was defined or established" question option.

Thanks to everyone who was brave enough to submit those Stanford drafts for these reviews!! Hope they prove helpful.

EssaySnark
_________________

EssaySnark Essays Reviewed on GMAT Club FOR FREE!

Current Student
avatar
Joined: 23 Oct 2011
Posts: 48
Location: United States
Schools: Stanford '16 (A)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 46

Re: Stanford GSB Calling all applicants for Class of 2016! [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2013, 19:03
Confession: writing up concise blurbs of extracurricular activities has me stressed and snacking on Starbursts. Now I know why people say to do your dream school app last. I'm going to be fat with cavities by the end of September.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 03 Jun 2013
Posts: 46
Concentration: General Management
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 33 [1] , given: 9

Re: Stanford GSB Calling all applicants for Class of 2016! [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2013, 19:39
1
This post received
KUDOS
The 185-character limits are ridiculous--barely longer than a tweet.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 23 Oct 2011
Posts: 48
Location: United States
Schools: Stanford '16 (A)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 12 [1] , given: 46

Re: Stanford GSB Calling all applicants for Class of 2016! [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2013, 03:26
1
This post received
KUDOS
seamlessftw wrote:
The 185-character limits are ridiculous--barely longer than a tweet.


Basically. There goes any explanation of my leadership positions/progression in an organization.

No lie, I replaced "and" with "&" in order to squeeze some extra characters in. During my sugar high, I mused if this might ding me.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 12 Jun 2013
Posts: 5
Concentration: Healthcare, Entrepreneurship
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 9

Re: Stanford GSB Calling all applicants for Class of 2016! [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2013, 22:16
I had a question about activities.

I am an Indian female and a trained classical dancer. I organize/ perform at least one show a year. That is about my only activity outside work apart from gardening and they are both time consuming. I am not sure whether to include these as activities in my app because they do not fall under athletic, charitable, civic, community, or professional and I do not belong to any club or organization (I'm not sure if my dance class can be classified as an organization).

Any thoughts?
1 KUDOS received
MBA Admissions Consulting
User avatar
Joined: 16 Jul 2011
Posts: 486
WE: Consulting (Education)
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 140 [1] , given: 22

Re: Stanford GSB Calling all applicants for Class of 2016! [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2013, 06:41
1
This post received
KUDOS
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 23 Nov 2010
Posts: 29
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
GPA: 3.54
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 20

Re: Stanford GSB Calling all applicants for Class of 2016! [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2013, 10:06
Hi guys,

Anyone out here attended the Stanford Admissions Event in Mumbai on 20th August ??
_________________

It takes time and effort to explain, so if my comment helped you kudos does rev the engines :)



Just because something is hard doesn't mean you shouldn't try,it means you should just try harder.

"Keep Walking" - Johnny Walker

Current Student
avatar
Joined: 19 Mar 2012
Posts: 174
Location: United States
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.69
WE: Analyst (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 13

Re: Stanford GSB Calling all applicants for Class of 2016! [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2013, 14:38
Does anybody know what the recommendation questions are for professional references?

I know that the peer recommendation questions are :

1) Please comment briefly on the context of your interaction with the applicant. If applicable, describe the applicant's role in your organization.
2) Please describe a time when the applicant changed your thinking or actions.
3) Describe the most important piece of constructive feedback you have given the applicant. Please detail the circumstances and the applicant's response.
4) (Optional) Are there any additional statements about the applicant's performance, potential, or personal qualities you believe would be helpful to the MBA Admissions Office?

Would these be the same for the professional recs?
1 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator
User avatar
Affiliations: SPG Platinum, Southwest A-List
Joined: 01 Jul 2011
Posts: 208
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.56
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 87 [1] , given: 24

Premium Member
Re: Stanford GSB Calling all applicants for Class of 2016! [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2013, 15:04
1
This post received
KUDOS
Swoosh617 wrote:
Does anybody know what the recommendation questions are for professional references?

I know that the peer recommendation questions are :

1) Please comment briefly on the context of your interaction with the applicant. If applicable, describe the applicant's role in your organization.
2) Please describe a time when the applicant changed your thinking or actions.
3) Describe the most important piece of constructive feedback you have given the applicant. Please detail the circumstances and the applicant's response.
4) (Optional) Are there any additional statements about the applicant's performance, potential, or personal qualities you believe would be helpful to the MBA Admissions Office?

Would these be the same for the professional recs?


From Stanford's website (http://www.gsb.stanford.edu/programs/mb ... commenders):

Quote:
Professional/Workplace Recommendations
Please comment briefly on the context of your interaction with the applicant. If applicable, describe the applicant's role in your organization.

How do the candidate's performance, potential, or personal qualities compare to those of other well-qualified individuals in similar roles? Please provide specific examples.

Describe the most important piece of constructive feedback you have given the applicant. Please detail the circumstances and the applicant's response.
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 10 Dec 2012
Posts: 10
Schools: Stanford '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: Stanford GSB Calling all applicants for Class of 2016! [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2013, 00:16
Hi Guys-

I needed a quick clarification regarding the app form for Stanford.

For the education section, Stanford gives explicit instructions to
"Report/calculate your GPA, to the best of your ability, even if your institution does not list it on your transcript. If necessary, you may explain how you report it in the Additional Information section."

I am an Indian candidate who received UG scores on a % basis and not GPA. The form does not allow me to enter % so is it wise to convert my % scores to GPA using an indicator like WES. If not, what is the best way to enter the percentages?

Also, I know my rank in class unofficially (rank not listed on the transcript). Do you guys think I should mention it, given its unofficial??

Any help will be really appreciated.

Wish you guys all the best with the app process!!
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 31 Mar 2013
Posts: 119
Location: India
Concentration: Sustainability, General Management
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 57

Re: Stanford GSB Calling all applicants for Class of 2016! [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2013, 00:32
SRM0412 wrote:
Hi Guys-

I needed a quick clarification regarding the app form for Stanford.

For the education section, Stanford gives explicit instructions to
"Report/calculate your GPA, to the best of your ability, even if your institution does not list it on your transcript. If necessary, you may explain how you report it in the Additional Information section."

I am an Indian candidate who received UG scores on a % basis and not GPA. The form does not allow me to enter % so is it wise to convert my % scores to GPA using an indicator like WES. If not, what is the best way to enter the percentages?

Also, I know my rank in class unofficially (rank not listed on the transcript). Do you guys think I should mention it, given its unofficial??

Any help will be really appreciated.

Wish you guys all the best with the app process!!


I would recommend you to enter your percentage marks under cummulative GPA and 100 under scale.

This clearly shows that you got 80(say) out of 100 that means 80%.

And about the class rank - I would suggest you to enter the rank only if its really good (say within 15%) It doesnt matter if you have proof to show for it. They will never ask that. Just dont lie. If you are say in the top 35%, dont mention it as top 15%. It better to leave it as blank.
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 10 Dec 2012
Posts: 10
Schools: Stanford '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: Stanford GSB Calling all applicants for Class of 2016! [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2013, 01:52
ankurq7 wrote:
SRM0412 wrote:
Hi Guys-

I needed a quick clarification regarding the app form for Stanford.

For the education section, Stanford gives explicit instructions to
"Report/calculate your GPA, to the best of your ability, even if your institution does not list it on your transcript. If necessary, you may explain how you report it in the Additional Information section."

I am an Indian candidate who received UG scores on a % basis and not GPA. The form does not allow me to enter % so is it wise to convert my % scores to GPA using an indicator like WES. If not, what is the best way to enter the percentages?

Also, I know my rank in class unofficially (rank not listed on the transcript). Do you guys think I should mention it, given its unofficial??

Any help will be really appreciated.

Wish you guys all the best with the app process!!


I would recommend you to enter your percentage marks under cummulative GPA and 100 under scale.

This clearly shows that you got 80(say) out of 100 that means 80%.

And about the class rank - I would suggest you to enter the rank only if its really good (say within 15%) It doesnt matter if you have proof to show for it. They will never ask that. Just dont lie. If you are say in the top 35%, dont mention it as top 15%. It better to leave it as blank.



Thank you so much for the prompt response Ankurq7

I hope they wont think of 80 on 100 as relative grading (since it is entered under GPA), that would be far worse than 80%.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 19 Jan 2013
Posts: 71
Location: Canada
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.7
WE: Analyst (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 3

Re: Stanford GSB Calling all applicants for Class of 2016! [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2013, 09:56
Anyone got pointers for the goal essay? I have room for 450 words, just like the suggestion. But I simply cannot fit all the elements in 450 words. Specifically, elements such as : career vision, how it relates to my career progression to date, personal reason/motivation for the career aspiration, plans to attain that goal, why mba, why standord, how I could contribute to stanford.

HELP!
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 12 Jun 2013
Posts: 5
Concentration: Healthcare, Entrepreneurship
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 9

Re: Stanford GSB Calling all applicants for Class of 2016! [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2013, 21:57
I have been facing the same dilemma. What I am currently doing is to come up with single line answers for each of these questions and see how much space I have left for a little elaboration. I touched upon motivation for career aspiration in Essay 1. So I have one less answer to fit in :)
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 21 Oct 2012
Posts: 10
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 1

Re: Stanford GSB Calling all applicants for Class of 2016! [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2013, 09:33
Hey guys,

Is there a way to preview the application in its full in pdf before submission? There's a button that says "proceed to submission", but I'm afraid that there's no turning back after I click it.
1 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator
User avatar
Affiliations: SPG Platinum, Southwest A-List
Joined: 01 Jul 2011
Posts: 208
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.56
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 87 [1] , given: 24

Premium Member
Re: Stanford GSB Calling all applicants for Class of 2016! [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2013, 09:36
1
This post received
KUDOS
HBS13aspirant wrote:
Hey guys,

Is there a way to preview the application in its full in pdf before submission? There's a button that says "proceed to submission", but I'm afraid that there's no turning back after I click it.


Click "PRINT FORMS" at the bottom left of the page (under Application Instructions). Then you will be able to preview the application in HTML or PDF.
Re: Stanford GSB Calling all applicants for Class of 2016!   [#permalink] 19 Sep 2013, 09:36
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Calling all Stanford GSB Applicants 2017 scorehigh800 2 06 Jun 2014, 17:17
46 Experts publish their posts in the topic Stanford GSB: Class of 2017 - Calling All Applicants! jdharris 185 16 May 2014, 06:37
2 Experts publish their posts in the topic Stanford GSB Class of 2016 - Calling all Admitted Students azowu 1 26 Dec 2013, 07:56
1 Experts publish their posts in the topic Stanford GSB Class of 2016-Calling all Waitlisting Students azowu 2 26 Dec 2013, 07:48
Experts publish their posts in the topic Fordham GSB Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! souvik101990 0 24 Sep 2013, 13:12
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Stanford GSB Calling all applicants for Class of 2016!

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  63    Next  [ 1256 posts ] 

Moderators: DefyingGravity, missxmelon



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.