Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 14:52 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 14:52

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [4]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [3]
Given Kudos: 1
GPA: 3.89
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [3]
Given Kudos: 18
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [3]
Send PM
Re: Stanford GSB Calling all applicants for Class of 2016! [#permalink]
Kudos
Guys, don't stress too much. I'm a reapplicant; was waitlisted at both Stanford and Wharton last year after interviews.

Last year I got Stanford and whartons invite both fairly early in the process.

This year I didn't get whartons invite until the very last day of the window (yesterday). Lucky for me I didn't check gmatclub too much else I would've gone insane.

Still haven't heard from Stanford but I'm not the least bit worried - it's not over till it's over. You guys shouldn't be worried either!

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [3]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V47
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
Man. Stanford is my dream school. Already denied at HBS/Wharton but this is the only one I care about. 770, 8, 6.0, great experience, and a whole lot of passion. Simply confused what these schools want.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
Dudes, I think we should be pro-active, rather than just having fingers-crossed. Let me tell you some personal experience on this point.

In the final days of my PhD study in summer 2010, the economy was still in a bad shape and no job/training offers were lining up for me. I hypothesized that if I did something good, the God would reward me (with an offer). :-D

So, I started to volunteer as a care-giver to a colony of feral cats (managed by a Trap-and-Return program) in my neighborhood. Three months later, I grew bonded with a tabby (I named him Maru) and adopted him. Then, I was offered a fellowship at Harvard University for research training.

In Spring 2012, I adopted a second cat (Lucky). Lucky was a stray cat in Colorado. He wandered to the house of a young couple and decided to stay there. But the couple didn't have any plans to take in a cat and planned to send him to a shelter. I offered to take him in and the couple kindly flew him from Colorado to Chicago to deliver him to me. I spent a few months and quite a bit of money to get him into a healthy shape (multiple surgeries plus long-term allergy management). When Lucky fully recovered, I was rewarded with a life-changing opportunity, an opportunity to kick off a nanotech start-up of my own with my grad school buddy. I resigned from academia and now our business is growing, fast.

By now I've been fostering a cat for my friend for over a year and most probably for at least another two years before she can sort out her financial mess. The good news is that I've been dinged by Harvard, Wharton and Booth. Sloan's is just a few days away. Frankly, I'm not bothered at all 'coz that means the choices for God to reward me is quickly narrowed down to an offer either from Stanford or Haas, or both.

I think my hypothesis has been validated. God never let me down and will not in the future, I believe. So, take-home message: if you haven't got an interview/offer, go walk your neighbor's dog or groom your friend's cat. 8-)

Add-on bonus: iPad mini retina is on sale today (at least in Chicago as of Nov. 12, 2013). I'll go grab one tomorrow morning.

Originally posted by zhangxingchina on 12 Nov 2013, 22:49.
Last edited by zhangxingchina on 12 Nov 2013, 23:16, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 117 [3]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
Kudos
dwal44 wrote:
elisej09 wrote:
Fantastic stories all around. I believe in karma but even if it's not real, then at least you feel great about volunteering and helping others! I have been delaying organizing a time for me to volunteer at my animal shelter these past few months, but thanks for getting my rear into gear. :) Good luck everyone!

Also I briefly met an admissions officer last night and she mentioned that they are not close to finishing up interview invitations and do not lose hope! Still got a few weeks guys and gals!

Elise- did the admissions officer give you the names of all the applicants that have been reviewed and the ones who have not been reviewed yet? Thanks.

You are kidding, right? :lol:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [3]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: General Management
GMAT 1: 790 Q50 V51
GPA: 3.98
Send PM
Kudos
I received an invite today... Now I can stop incessantly checking emails
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [3]
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V47
WE:Asset Management (Health Care)
Send PM
Kudos
yepgirlnope wrote:
I received an invite today... Now I can stop incessantly checking emails

Congrats! Also, not to play the gender card but I'm liking the female representation on this thread.. ;-)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [3]
Given Kudos: 33
GMAT 1: 730 Q46 V44
WE:Other (Venture Capital)
Send PM
Kudos
youcandoit wrote:
Has anyone who only took the GRE gotten an invite yet?
Or any joint degree people?

I'm an applicant for the MBA/MA in Ed. degrees...was lucky enough to get an invite on Monday.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [3]
Given Kudos: 7
GRE 1: Q166 V162
Send PM
Kudos
I am not losing hope at all, I'm sure I'll get my invite by the 19th!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [3]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
Kudos
Got the Invites a while ago!! Almost lost hope after the dings from Harvard and Wharton w/o interview and already started R2 app this week..
I did not adopt or walk any dogs or cats, but I did donated to two disadvantaged kids in a charity cause last night :lol: :lol:
F/30/730/ non traditional pool, based in China.
Best luck everyone still waiting!! keep faith!! :-D :-D :-D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [3]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT Date: 06-15-2013
Send PM
Kudos
MonsGM wrote:
I agree with the less optimistic view. I cannot help but feel that Stanford is about to cause me some emotional pain, but this is how I'm coping (this is a venting post).

I thought I had a solid profile, particularly fitted for GSB, and would be able to have a choice between HBS (further consideration) & Stanford (nothing yet). This has not only been humbling, but also enlightening and will probably be a positive experience afterwards. As rejection piles up, stress and expectation lowers. Each time it becomes clearer to me, that partially I was just trying to get a star on my forehead that said "well done chap, you got in, you are part of the club".
Each failure is a remainder that I have to keep fighting and that no matter where I get in or what I do, it is still all about me. It is still about my choices in life, my capabilities, and my determination to achieve anything I want, that have led me to where I am right now... so I am less worried about some admissions committee finding me fit or not for their program.

And I will not deny that there is a certain childish anger along with the disappointment, but anger is positive if you know how to canalize it. For me it is particularly useful as motivation, and I am driven to prove them wrong, and I will do it for me. It is getting easier for me to get detached from these "big names" and focus on the goal rather than the means.

This might not have been very coherent or helpful, but at least I feel better now!

Regards everyone and the best of luck! If they don't choose us, then let's prove them why they should have!

This is exactly how you should look at this. Right on. Too many people in these forums are dying to get brand names, stars, or wtv you call on their resumes. Reality is this does not mean much. It helps but it is definitely not the reason of success. Look at video interviews from GSB alums who have started their companies and you will see how they mention that the MBA helped but was not needed to reach their goals.

I got rejected from HBS and took it very lightly. I have an interview at MIT Sloan and am quite excited about it, but I do realize that it may not work out, there are no guarantees in life. Expectations are low for GSB, we'll see. Anyhow, point is - you choose some schools, you apply (I specifically chose these 3 and no other), and you see what happens.

A lot of people on this forum worry about very minute details/trends/etc that only increase stress levels and worry. Everyone here needs to eliminate noise and focus on what is right for them.

Good luck.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [3]
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V36
GPA: 3.94
WE:Business Development (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
Just got an interview invite! 10:30am PST, investment banking/corporate strategy in the Pacific NW.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [3]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Kudos
I dont know ONE African who got an invite... but i know plenty of friends who are doing their GMATS now so they can apply Round 2. I think if we receive a deferral it would have been better to apply Round 2 (Could have worked on applications more). However they are trying to increase numbers from our continent so I dont think that they will be taking less people. They may just be waiting for more applicants so they can make a more informed decision. Who knows... Iv pretty much given up hope though.. sometimes better to expect the worst :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [3]
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V36
GPA: 3.94
WE:Business Development (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
RSAproud wrote:
Can anyone with an interview invite confirm what their status is?

Posted from my mobile device

I got my interview invite on Nov 19th, and my application status has also changed to "Submitted" versus "Under Review". I wonder if this just happened for all applicants.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
londoncalling1 wrote:
Well that's that then. Ding. Again.

It's a bit of a sucker punch to reach this point. It's really hard not to judge your self-worth in light of that (or plot ways to make the AdCom realise what a terrible mistake they made by, I don't know, becoming a real life Tony Stark or something) but look, I got a 760 on my GMAT. I am a woman with a science degree from a top 20 US college. I've worked in management roles in tech startups for 5 years and am currently CMO/COO and founding management of a startup that's passed 500,000 customers with write ups in Mashable, CNET and TechCrunch. I've been included in a 30 under 30 women in tech roundup for a major international publication, worked all over the world and I volunteer with programs that engage women in science and technology. I'm not bragging. I'm just saying actually, I'm pretty effing awesome and if Stanford doesn't realise that (for me or anyone else here) then it's their loss. I can't judge myself based on whatever strange criteria they're looking for this particular year.

Moral of the story - you're all awesome.

Ding'd... I guess I expected it after the 19th

I will jump on this bandwagon as well Londoncalling, I think I would also get comfort in knowing there are other awesome people out there in the same situation... we might even start a group and follow up on each other's progress and push ourselves to continue being awesome, way awesomer than their graduating class in 2 years! Who's with us?! (by this point I am already rambling on and day dreaming and only partially joking...) but this is my profile anyways:

From latin america
770 in gmat
Graduated from top lat-am engineering school with a 3.9 GPA while also having a background freelancing in art and design
From top global management consulting firm, considered (and mentioned in recommendations) as most sought after consultant for staffing
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [3]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: General Management
GMAT 1: 790 Q50 V51
GPA: 3.98
Send PM
Kudos
Ahhhh got the call!!!!! Boston around 12:30pm
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
codyq wrote:
mgoldst3 wrote:
ps: For anyone curious, my application status now has recommenders hidden. I think it happened sometime after I got the call but can't be sure.

My recs are gone too - no call, west coast.

Got the call!!! CA 3:35 PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
Believe it or not, I just got the call (6:50 pm MT)! I had almost written it off. Don't lose hope everyone... Cheers.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  63   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts